Wheel vs. roundhouse kick

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I trained for about 6 months under a very eclectic offshoot from the Tracy camp. (Tracy - McLeod - Castaneda - Fallon lineage.)

A Roundhouse was a snapping type of kick, either back leg or front leg.

A Wheel kick was a rounded movement which I can most easily describe as a straight legged roundhouse. The Hapkido spinning heel kick with the leg held straight, not snapping, would be the closest analog; excepting of course that kick is done with the heel, and the wheel done from the front side of the leg with the top of the foot.

Interestingly, for a kenpo offshoot, we were always taught to use the slapping parts of the foot - not the heel or ball of the foot for penetration. Might be one of the reasons I only spent 6 months there. =/

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually I am training under mr. Jim Mitchell. Why did you mention the Tracy system?

He mentioned it because of your terminology, but you might want to take a look who Mr. Mitchell's original instructors were.

Lamont

rcsparacino

White Belt
Reaction score
Many years ago when I studied Tang Soo Do, we had been taught a wheel kick and a back spinning wheel kick. The back spinning wheel kick is similiar to a back spinning side kick, except the leg remains straight and and moves in a circle through the back spin, typically making contact with the heal- A potent kick. a "normal; Wheel kicj was taught similar to a hook kick, exept with keeping the leg straight through the technique.

Rich

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two different kicks for us. With the roundhouse, the rear leg comes around the body to the chambered position as the standing foot pivots. With a wheel kick, the leg chambers up through the middle and is turned over as the standing foot pivots. The extension of the leg happens when the leg is parallel to the ground.

Wingman

White Belt
Reaction score
Its been a while since I've heard the term 'wheel kick' but where I train the descriptions posted here for wheel kicks are our roundhouse kicks. We practice both the method of chambering the leg as though you were to throw a front kick, then rolling the hips to turn the kick into a roundhouse, and simply coming in wide with a rounded chamber. Both are useful in different ways.

If I remember right (dont quote me) the difference I learned was that a wheel kick had the same end intent as a roundhouse kick, but unlike a roundhouse kick there was no chamber for the strike, simply a whipping of the extended limb, in a method not unlike that used in crescent kicks.

Latest Discussions