What's your opinion about this SD sequence?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This short clip here is taken of a self defense dvd.
What's your take on it? Is this guy good?
He comes across super fast and it looks like he's ready for anything.

But my question is is this stuff more of less staged? I mean does it work like this in real life?

CIMG2891

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Work in real life - I kind of wish it did, but, no, it doesn't.

They did a pretty decent job of a a fight "scene" though.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does this mean that this guy isn't really that good and that in a real fight he couldn't pull off all this stuff?
I mean obviously he can kick high and fast. Even if the attacks are staged then his moves are genuine.
Doesn't this mean that he must be pretty good at defending himself?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I mean does it work like this in real life?
No it doesn't work like that. This was a one sided demo.

Does this mean that this guy isn't really that good and that in a real fight he couldn't pull off all this stuff?
being good and being able to "pull this stuff off" are kind of two different things. He may be a great martial artist, but fights just don't really happen like that. Being able to kick and punch as shown in the clip is not the most important aspect of self defense.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
some of it would work, but he shouldn't do that much taekwondo kicking, when teaching self defense.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
  1. The sequences are staged, so that his partner stands still while the demonstrator puts on a show. A real fight won't look that way.
  2. The demonstrator has at least some training, based on the form of his kicks. That doesn't mean he is necessarily good in a fight, however.
  3. I'm seeing a lot of excess movement in these demos. I don't like the way his arms flail around to no purpose when he's kicking. I also don't think all the sequences are well constructed in terms of which technique would efficiently flow from the previous one.
  4. I have seen worse demos - but I've seen much better also.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny as usual. Nice for Hollywood (where we can say the attacker what to do, or when to wait). The last 'defence' starts before the attack (maybe others too).
But, finally, the reality is never what we expect to be... Everything can work or fail... And for sure I would try anything like that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What you have is just a Promotional Demo video. Demos like what you have shown are used to attracted people and to get them interested it. If I had to bet money, my guess would be that we wouldn't see any of those combinations if the guy was really attacked.

If you really want to know the value of what you saw, then I would recommend that you watch the instruction part of the video to see what is being taught. I wouldn't use a Promotional Demo as a way to try to understand a self-defense application.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
  • I'm seeing a lot of excess movement in these demos. I don't like the way his arms flail around to no purpose when he's kicking. I also don't think all the sequences are well constructed in terms of which technique would efficiently flow from the previous one.

I picked up the same thing, but unfortunately that's how many promotional demos are. A real fight scenario would be boring in comparison.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Staged demo.
Take a look at most any real attack or fight and you should be able to immediately notice several significant differences...note the differences.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
thanks for your input.

i have the entire video at home. never really watched much of it so i'm not totally sure if this is just promotion or if the "teachings" themselves look the same way.
but from what i remember in the video you saw the same stuff. for example somebody on the street comes along and attacks and the defending person pulls off
a few fast moves and that's it. there isn't any slow step by step demonstration. maybe these self defense dvds suck in general.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The video is too staged, too flashy, needs too much athleticism, and so on.

Don't waste your time with it. Practice this instead...

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kill, cripple, maim. Now this sounds sweet!

Where can I learn Kinji-Te? Do they have schools worldwide or is this some kind of supper hidden knowledge which they only teach in Japan?

update:

I justed watched the first minute. Is this real life or a joke?!

"When you grab the ear, rip it off" that's almost too simple.

He talks about ripping the the attacker's genitals off with the Dragon Claw!
He also talks about ripping out the windpipe! I thought this only exists the movie with Patrick Swayze.

update 2:

This guy says he's a fraud.

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No it doesn't work like that. This was a one sided demo.
On the contrary, that is exactly how self defence should work. Once you area at the point where you feel the only way out is a physical response, then the last thing you want is the back and forth/"he gets a go I get a go" of a "fight". Exactly what you are looking for is a one sided continuous stream of violence until the threat is naturalised, allowing you to escape.

My biggest problem with the video however is that (in the UK at least) I think he would find it very hard to claim his actions as "reasonable force". The last sequence is a perfect example, guy at a bar turns to face him, he then kicks him five times (twice in the head, and one of those while the guy is on the ground). Stomping on someone's head when they are on the ground and no longer a threat is not self discern, that's more like attempted murder.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I mean does it work like this in real life?

CIMG2891
This clip remind me in the movie that when someone

- chokes your throat with both hands, your arms and legs are shaking like a fish.
- drag your legs when your body is on the ground, you try to use your hands to hold on a door frame.

In real life, your nature response will be to "solve your current problem" and not just "I give up and you can do anything you want on me."

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

Paul your post is a little confusing, I think your response was typed within my quote box.
But if I am reading it correctly I agree with you. A true self defense response should not be a give and take agreed on exchange. I'm with you on that. But in the video the response from the bad guy is too unrealistic. It is obvious he is just standing there for the demo.

Latest Discussions