Whats your favorite BB poomse and why.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really like taebaek since it seems to involve both the softer and more beautiful techniques such as the circular hand movements and the tiger stances, but also incorporates the harder and more forceful style of the elbow strikes, punches, and backfist. How bout your favorite?

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jitae is my favorite yudanja poomsae. It has a wonderful blend of dynamic tension and powerful blocking and striking with the crescendo of the form being the two side kicks thrown from haktari seogi.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a toss up between Chonkwon and Hansu. Chonkwon because of the dynamic tension in the early part of the form and the dramatic differences in the speed between some of the techniques and stances. Hansu just because it is so different from any of the other WTF forms I do.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I don't do poomse, I do tul - but my favorite is probably Ko-dang tul, because it is deceptively simple; easy to learn the moves, but hard to do all the subtleties correctly, even moreso than the other tuls, followed closely by Po-Eun, for the same reason.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jitae is my favorite yudanja poomsae. It has a wonderful blend of dynamic tension and powerful blocking and striking with the crescendo of the form being the two side kicks thrown from haktari seogi.

This is a great poomsae but for me it will always be Tae Beak. The power and poose that can be demostrated with this poomsae is just unmatched in my opinion.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as Kacey. I don't do Poomse, I do Tul. My favorite is Ge-baek, you have to love any form that has a twist kick in it.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the difference between a Tul and Poomse or Kata?

tul is ITF, poomse is KKW/WTF, kata is Japanese, no? That's been my understanding... also, that hyung is generally accepted on all sides for everyone's forms (WTF/KKW, ITF, ATA) but only covers Korean patterns...

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
....A rose by any other name....

This is why I try to call them forms when I am speaking about them in general. Now, we can all argue about symantics and names, or we can get back to the fun of talking about our favorite forms and why we love them!

I rather like Choong-Jang just because it feels practical. Po-Eun is like a Chang Hon version of Nihanchi, which was a TSD favorite of mine, so I like it pretty well also.

NOTE: When I started typing this, Exile had not yet posted his informative post explaining the difference, so please, Exile, do not think that I am blowing off what you said. Thanks!

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll name one favorite for each art (with forms) we practice in Chayon-Ryu.

Chuan-fa: Chang Kwon

Karate: Kong Son Kun

Taekwondo: Jee Tae

R. McLain

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Poomsae-Chonkwon-I like the jumping inside crescent kick

Tul-Chung Mu-flying side kick and the 360 jumping spin is a challenge (not a black belt tul)

Hyung-Bassai-it is one of the prettiest forms when done well (not a black belt hyung)

Miles

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say that Chong Kwan is my favorite. It's got a lot of great techniques in it. It stretches people's abilities.

I'm surprised several have said they like Tae Baek. As many times as I've done it, I just can't enjoy it.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mine is Taebek I am still trying to master it!Ha! I am learning Pyung Won and having fun with it. All the best in the arts

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Chung-Hae in the Songahm style. When done correctly, it is a stunning display of balance, flow and power.

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My favorite form is Songham#4 (camo belt from the ATA forms). I like the part where you do a jump front kick with left leg and as soon as you land a front kick with the right leg. I like jump front kicks and front kicks. Its up there with cresent kicks (of any type)

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite form is Songham#4 (camo belt from the ATA forms). I like the part where you do a jump front kick with left leg and as soon as you land a front kick with the right leg. I like jump front kicks and front kicks. Its up there with cresent kicks (of any type)

I love all the Songahm forms. I miss them, but life goes on. I think my favorite Songahm form was Songahm #5, it's been changed a few times sense I was with the ATA but it was a great challenge and I'm sure you're up to it.

pczerwin

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess I would have to say Taebek as well but I also love Koryo. Once you master it, there are so many opportunities to make it your own. Also, I think the double side kicks show balance and power, all at the same time and I like that.

I practice the Taeguk forms but I prefer the Hung forms. I think they are more challenging and you learn more. These days I do both, although my school only teaches the Taeguk forms.

The only form I don't "Love" is Gun Gong. Aggghhh, I feel like a giant gorilla demanding my bananas. Yes I know, it is all about power and yes, it does have it's moments, but that darn stamping thing, gets me every time! haha

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now I would also say Taebek because I like the motions and techniques involved. Just the hand and foot techniques and kicks that it requires makes it attractive to me. Also, I guess, I might add that I've been practicing this form so much over the past many months, and I need to master it for my upcoming Kukkiwon 3rd dan BB test. So I suppose I'm biased, but I want to have all the movements down perfectly and fluidly by hard core test time in December. :ultracool

Latest Discussions