What's the story in this clip?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Was looking at Keith Mazza clips and found this one where chi sau seems to get out of control. Does anyone know the backstory and what happened?

BigMotor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's all laughs and giggles until someone loses an eye! Boys, go to your rooms! (But, I don't know the story behind it.)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know the story behind it either. My guess is that it was at a public seminar and the guy doing Chi Sau with Sifu Mazza is from a Wing Chun lineage other than TWC and he wanted to do some Chi Sau to "test out" Mazza's TWC. They pushed the limits while still staying "friendly" and neither one got all ticked off or anything. Good on them! :)

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My read is similar to KPM's nothing too serious here and they both seemed to handle it gracefully.

The people standing around clapping suggests that it was somehow supposed to be a test of something, which likely raised the stakes and egos a bit.

This is exactly the type of thing that I try to avoid, at least publically. At the end of the day, it's just Chi Sao.

Reactions: KPM

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me gets the feeling that some people are trying to "take shots" at TWC via one of GM Cheung's closer students because I think the last 3 responses stated the obvious.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Me gets the feeling that some people are trying to "take shots" at TWC via one of GM Cheung's closer students because I think the last 3 responses stated the obvious.

I haven't commented on the clip besides the first post so last 3 comments don't have any baring on what I have said.

I only saw this clip because you posted the Keith Mazza clip on other thread. Just wondered what happened because looked quite intense? Do you feel that the clip is in some way embarrassing? If not then why assume I was taking shots?

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm. ...and have you stopped beating your wife? ;)

I think you might had word it wrong, were you intended to say ... Hmmm ... and have your wife stopped beating on you?:p:D

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't commented on the clip besides the first post so last 3 comments don't have any baring on what I have said.

I only saw this clip because you posted the Keith Mazza clip on other thread. Just wondered what happened because looked quite intense? Do you feel that the clip is in some way embarrassing? If not then why assume I was taking shots?
No, I don't find it embarrassing at all. What I see is two guys and a seminar/conference "smoking and joking" with chi sau. Others saw it because it was fairly obvious. When you meet people in a casual setting you don't have to take things seriously, you can have fun with it. It was not out of control and the intensity, and really I think "intense" is a bit of an exaggeration, that eventually was generated is something that often happens when you have two guys being "cheered on" by a bunch of other guys when they are engaged in anything that one might call "competitive."

I said "taking a shot" because I don't believe you are an unintelligent person and since other people who don't know the Lineage saw the obvious it was the only explanation I could come up with on short notice.

Last edited:
OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I said "taking a shot" because I don't believe you are an unintelligent person and since other people who don't know the Lineage saw the obvious it was the only explanation I could come up with on short notice.

I can't see how it could be perceived as taking a shot since I didn't make any comment? I just wondered what happened, that's all.

Latest Discussions