whats the point of grappling arts?

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dash and run.
Submissions are deadly against one opponent if you really want to choke him, break His arm or legs or shoulder. Against multiple opponent it teaches you how to keep your vital area safe and quickly get up on your feet.
Striking and standing art against one is not as beneficial as grappling as you have chances of getting hurt in exchange of strikes. Against multiple attacker it is great tool to prepare escape root.
But fighting multiple opponents without running I would never do that...that is not bravery (conditions apply) but foolishness.
And to all you people I may be wrong because yesterday was my first day to Start learning martial art.

Sent from my Karbonn A2+ using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No martial art will help against multiple opponents. Except for running.
Almost any martial art will help against multiple opponents. Will it help enough? That's a different question. It will improve your odds, perhaps by only a small percentage if there's more than two, but any improvement is a better chance to survive and escape.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dash and run.
Submissions are deadly against one opponent if you really want to choke him, break His arm or legs or shoulder. Against multiple opponent it teaches you how to keep your vital area safe and quickly get up on your feet.
Striking and standing art against one is not as beneficial as grappling as you have chances of getting hurt in exchange of strikes. Against multiple attacker it is great tool to prepare escape root.
But fighting multiple opponents without running I would never do that...that is not bravery (conditions apply) but foolishness.
And to all you people I may be wrong because yesterday was my first day to Start learning martial art.

I don't think striking arts are at a major disadvantage in 1-1 encounters. They are better at blocking (we are generally best at defending against what we practice), and they don't stand and trade blows like in a movie - they deliver hard blows intended to either disable or to make room for a blow that will disable. I prefer grappling, but striking works, too. The best preparation is to learn both, and many arts incorporate pieces and principles of both.

And the grappling submissions should become destructions if there's clearly more than one attacker.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Almost any martial art will help against multiple opponents. Will it help enough? That's a different question. It will improve your odds, perhaps by only a small percentage if there's more than two, but any improvement is a better chance to survive and escape.

And then you have all these weird factors that come in to play. For example takedown defence may be a critical factor when deciding success in a multiple fight. Being able to actually finish people which is tricky if you are eating 3 fists for each one you are dishing out. It is a conversation about fuzzy concepts. Not a set of rules.

Multiples in real fights are a really complex scenario.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then you have all these weird factors that come in to play. For example takedown defence may be a critical factor when deciding success in a multiple fight. Being able to actually finish people which is tricky if you are eating 3 fists for each one you are dishing out. It is a conversation about fuzzy concepts. Not a set of rules.
Quite true. If ever there is a time to be able to avoid being put on the ground, it's when there are multiple people who would love to kick you down there. This makes takedown defense and related topics very valuable. Good movement practices also become very valuable, because you're a bit more likely to be able to keep from ending up with one person behind you - again, a bit higher percentage of eventually getting away. IMO, the distancing used in most striking arts is a bit more useful in controlling here than the distance control used in most grappling-only styles - I play closer when I'm grappling than when I'm striking.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quite true. If ever there is a time to be able to avoid being put on the ground, it's when there are multiple people who would love to kick you down there. This makes takedown defense and related topics very valuable. Good movement practices also become very valuable, because you're a bit more likely to be able to keep from ending up with one person behind you - again, a bit higher percentage of eventually getting away. IMO, the distancing used in most striking arts is a bit more useful in controlling here than the distance control used in most grappling-only styles - I play closer when I'm grappling than when I'm striking.

that sort of changes again. So if you hang for a second against a comitted attack you just get mobbed like dogs taking down a pig. That is precisely how security guards drop people. It is just a numbers game. So even the basic striking distance it kind of a trap a bit.

They are trying to create a formation and I am trying to upset that. and it is fast distance traveled that works best there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sort of changes again. So if you hang for a second against a comitted attack you just get mobbed like dogs taking down a pig. That is precisely how security guards drop people. It is just a numbers game. So even the basic striking distance it kind of a trap a bit.

They are trying to create a formation and I am trying to upset that. and it is fast distance traveled that works best there.
Agreed. I was talking more about the movement used to keep them where you want them until you move in. If I relied on the distancing you see in grappling competitions (think Judo), I'd have a hard time keeping control of their formation until I'm ready to close. Using striking distance moves (think Shotokan), I can maintain distance for a couple of beats to read the right moment for the close.

That has been my approach. Your training is different than mine, so you may have tools I don't use that change up the approach.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
No martial art will help against multiple opponents. Except for running.

Always a good choice, but I disagree with your premise. To be fair, I have no desire or illusions about sticking around to slug it out with multiple persons. However, since I practice a weapons based art in Pekiti Tirsia, we presume multiple opponents all the time, and one of the ways we do that is by thinking about flanking to one side in a way that puts one person in between you and the rest, attacking that one person, and then strapping on the PF Flyers and getting the heck out of there. We call them Running Attacks for a reason, and they are for exactly that.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dash and run.

Best way to defeat multiple people is to have a concealed carry license, get a pistol, learn how to shoot and carry. Someone will probably start babbling on about gun disarms and what not but you can not do that if I shoot you first and keep distance.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best way to defeat multiple people is to have a concealed carry license, get a pistol, learn how to shoot and carry. Someone will probably start babbling on about gun disarms and what not but you can not do that if I shoot you first and keep distance.
There's a lot more to a gun being useful than learning to shoot. If you don't have good retention skills, drawing skills, etc., that gun is not very helpful in many scenarios. If you're not trained in recognizing danger cues, you'll either wait too late to draw - when they get too close, it's sometimes safer to leave it holstered - or draw too early and get into legal trouble.

There is no strategy that's a good bet against multiple opponents. Gun included, unless you are picturing them coming at you from a distance away.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a lot more to a gun being useful than learning to shoot. If you don't have good retention skills, drawing skills, etc., that gun is not very helpful in many scenarios. If you're not trained in recognizing danger cues, you'll either wait too late to draw - when they get too close, it's sometimes safer to leave it holstered - or draw too early and get into legal trouble.

There is no strategy that's a good bet against multiple opponents. Gun included, unless you are picturing them coming at you from a distance away.
Sorry. I learned my skills with firearms in the Marine Corps as an 0311 so when I say learn to shoot I was including all the skills that go along with it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I learned my skills with firearms in the Marine Corps as an 0311 so when I say learn to shoot I was including all the skills that go along with it.
I don't know what the Marine Corps teaches about draw and retention of a handgun, but most civilians are taught nothing of that even in concealed carry courses.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what the Marine Corps teaches about draw and retention of a handgun, but most civilians are taught nothing of that even in concealed carry courses.
I assume you are referring to keeping your firearm from getting taken away and when to draw. Yes they are reviewed heavily but orders must be given unless situation calls for it when it comes to drawing your weapon (or raising it in case of a rifle). As to retention it is covered In CQC

swivel63

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
controlling people, being able to create space at will, ect.

i used to train this martial art that had a section on multiple attackers. my instructor taught it, but basically was like run for the door when it came down to it.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
like how does it help in a fight.. and how do u apply it in a self defense way if uk what im sayin' ^

If all I knew was my BJJ in a self defense situation in the street....then I'd go for a double or single leg take down......slam him as hard as possible into the cement w/my body weight + momentum driving down into him....get up quickly while controlling his ankles or grabbing his pants' at the cuffs and spin him to my left...now I'm in side position (slight side control)....then soccer kick him in the head and/or stomp on it....without crossing over from self defense, to say...some violent felony...or maiming....even manslaughter...or worse, 2nd degree murder.