What's the funniest thing you've had to give someone pushups for?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question; do you stop class and stand over them while they do their pushups? How exactly do you have the kid to them?
I am genuinely curious.
At my instructor's school, the kids knew the drill. If they were given push-ups, they were responsible for counting them out loud. If they failed to count, they had to start over. If they stopped too early, they had to start over (both were to discourage cheating, which some tried to do). I didn't like it, because they did sloppy push-ups. They always did sloppy push-ups. Sloppy push-ups might be the main reason I don't teach kids today.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not certain what the best answer is for stressing discipline into a child other than the environment of the whole class. There are just so many variables in the way kids act and respond nowadays.
I think this could be a really good and informative thread if someone wants to start one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not certain what the best answer is for stressing discipline into a child other than the environment of the whole class. There are just so many variables in the way kids act and respond nowadays.
I think this could be a really good and informative thread if someone wants to start one.
I'm not much help. My go-to answer is duct tape and coat hooks.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Question; do you stop class and stand over them while they do their pushups? How exactly do you have the kid to them?
I am genuinely curious.

Tell them to do them, when they drop move on with the lesson.

Half the time we tell them to stand up when they've only done 2 or 3 so we can keep going.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not much help. My go-to answer is duct tape and coat hooks.

Whenever I'm holding a pad and the kid misses the pad and kicks me, I'll chase after him, yelling and kicking over and over again. I let them think they're just fast enough to get away from me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I'm holding a pad and the kid misses the pad and kicks me, I'll chase after him, yelling and kicking over and over again. I let them think they're just fast enough to get away from me.
I'm going to bet some of those kids kick you on purpose, Skribs, just to see that.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a discussion I was having with a guy at work about swear words. We teach kids not to swear at all, because kids don't know when it is and isn't appropriate to swear. Just like with learning anything, you learn the rules before you learn the exceptions.

In music, you learn which notes are in a scale before you learn when to play the notes that are not in the scale. Playing notes out of scale on purpose sounds good, but playing notes out of scale because you have no idea what you're doing sounds horrible. In martial arts, you learn the rules of your techniques, and then you learn when to break them. As a humorous recent example, in sparring the other day, there was a girl who accidentally kicked a couple of guys in the groin. I heard their complaints before I sparred her. So I fought her with my hands locked about six inches in front of my groin. My Master thought this was hilarious, and it turned out to be effective because she kept kicking low. In any other situation, letting my hands hang down instead of keeping them by my head would have gotten me in trouble (both with the Master, and with my partner kicking me in the face). So the "rule" of keeping my hands up was broken, but broken intentionally and with great effect. In another situation, I've seen a kid who was too lazy to keep his hands up, got kicked in the face like 14 times in one round. He broke the rule unintentionally and paid the price.

Coming back to this story, this guy knew the right timing of being a smart aleck. Kids don't. So the 8 and 10 year old that were watching him needed to see him get the pushups for what he did.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did it to a customer at work once. He wanted some free stuff I said "fine, fifty pushups."