What's the advantage of pistol-grip shotguns?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
My buddy had a PGO mossberg 500 that was pretty nice. Keeping constant forward pressure with the left hand (he gripped the pistol grip with his right hand) let him keep control of the shotgun at eye level and able to keep a pretty good rate of fire at 15 yards shooting Brenneke KO 2 3/4" slugs. He kept low recoil buckshot in it for home use. The shorter gun was easier to manuever indoors as well as giving him a shotgun over a handgun.

Personally, I keep a knoxx recoil reducing spec ops stock in my home shotgun so my wife can shoot it easily too. The pistol grip with a shoulder stock feels much more ergonomic to me.

Has anybody tried the knoxx breacher grip? It's supposed to help reduce recoil without a shoulder stock.

A breaching shotgun is about the only exception I can think of as a legitimate use for a shotgun without a shoulder stock, as it's a very specialized instrument who's only use is close range shooting of locks and hinges.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you want to buttstroke them when you have a perfectly good metal barrel to run through their teeth? And you're still pointed in the right direction.
You could foul a barrel that way. A proper buttstroke will apply a lot more force than you could thrusting with the barrel.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only advantage I see, is it is scary looking to people who don't know better.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could foul a barrel that way. A proper buttstroke will apply a lot more force than you could thrusting with the barrel.
Oh absolutely not! The risk is far greater of

1) Breaking the butt off and/or

2) Damaging the firing mechanism and/or

3) Accidentally shooting someone BEHIND you and/or

4) Getting the shotgun taken away from you by attempting to buttstroke and/or

5) All of the above and a dozen other possibilities I haven't thought of....

Than the remote possibility you're going to foul the barrel up running the end of the barrel through their teeth........foul up with......what exactly? His teeth, jaw and gums? Bits of cartilage from his nose?

If it ever comes to using a shotgun as an impact weapon, i'll take my chances with the metal barrel that's already pointed in their direction, rather than risk a grappling match by turning the business end back in my direction, and the grip toward the bad guy.

In fact, if anyone is ever pointing a shotgun at me, I hope they decide to try and buttstroke me with it! ;)

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
After training for an assault against someone armed with a pistol grip 12ga with the short barrel and no stock I realized some of the advantages for having one in close quarters . One can be more versatile with its deployment and use. Its also easier to retain and more difficult to disarm than a 18" 12ga with a stock.
I own a benelli supernova tactical with the 18" barrel , pistol grip and buttstock... I love this shotgun but find myself compensating for its length and bulk in close quaters by utilizing the haught technique. I sometimes wish I had a pistol grip only 12ga for up close and personal business where shouldering and sighting really dont apply.

just a thought.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Oh absolutely not! The risk is far greater of

1) Breaking the butt off and/or

2) Damaging the firing mechanism and/or

3) Accidentally shooting someone BEHIND you and/or

4) Getting the shotgun taken away from you by attempting to buttstroke and/or

5) All of the above and a dozen other possibilities I haven't thought of....

Than the remote possibility you're going to foul the barrel up running the end of the barrel through their teeth........foul up with......what exactly? His teeth, jaw and gums? Bits of cartilage from his nose?

If it ever comes to using a shotgun as an impact weapon, i'll take my chances with the metal barrel that's already pointed in their direction, rather than risk a grappling match by turning the business end back in my direction, and the grip toward the bad guy.

In fact, if anyone is ever pointing a shotgun at me, I hope they decide to try and buttstroke me with it! ;)

To say nothing of thae fact I have a problem with any technique that involves pointing the muzzle back at me when I may not have expended its payload. What if I crack him with an uppercut buttstroke to the nuts, I forget under the influence of body alarm reaction//adrenaline dump to keep the muzzle aimed over my shoulder and the weapon discharges? Ouch.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
After training for an assault against someone armed with a pistol grip 12ga with the short barrel and no stock I realized some of the advantages for having one in close quarters . One can be more versatile with its deployment and use. Its also easier to retain and more difficult to disarm than a 18" 12ga with a stock.
I own a benelli supernova tactical with the 18" barrel , pistol grip and buttstock... I love this shotgun but find myself compensating for its length and bulk in close quaters by utilizing the haught technique. I sometimes wish I had a pistol grip only 12ga for up close and personal business where shouldering and sighting really dont apply.

just a thought.
A good tactical sling would solve the retention problems.

And if you find yourself in EXTREMELY tight quarters, dropping the shotgun (onto the tactical sling) and drawing your sidearm is an even better choice.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
To say nothing of thae fact I have a problem with any technique that involves pointing the muzzle back at me when I may not have expended its payload. What if I crack him with an uppercut buttstroke to the nuts, I forget under the influence of body alarm reaction//adrenaline dump to keep the muzzle aimed over my shoulder and the weapon discharges? Ouch.
Indeed!

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as striking with the shotgun... if at a low ready I would shove the barrel into the threats testicles while keeping the muzzle pointed in his direction or downward...
In the high ready I would shove the side of the shotgun across the clavicle into the throat or the head at a diagonal angle to send them backward all while keeping the muzzle pointed up...

I also like the idea of a forward mounted tac-light with a striker bezel... I have seen some pretty gnarly ones on those Cree lights..... they can be blinded then bashed....

I decided to make a comment since it was brought up...

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not buttstroking anyone. Sorry to many if's in that one as pointed out, T.V. looks good, we were taught if you have to use the butt, then you better have your sidearm drawn and ready to go.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as striking with the shotgun... if at a low ready I would shove the barrel into the threats testicles while keeping the muzzle pointed in his direction or downward...
In the high ready I would shove the side of the shotgun across the clavicle into the throat or the head at a diagonal angle to send them backward all while keeping the muzzle pointed up...

I also like the idea of a forward mounted tac-light with a striker bezel... I have seen some pretty gnarly ones on those Cree lights..... they can be blinded then bashed....

I decided to make a comment since it was brought up...

Excellent points, you're exactly right.....you have a perfectly useful steel barrel already pointed down range......why not use it while still keeping it pointed down range?

If folks are that worried about using the shotgun itself as a weapon, just fix bayonet!

Latest Discussions