What would you recommend Kendo for?

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Howdy ladies and gentlemen. Im just wondering on what you feel the pros/cons of Kendo are and why?
Im thinking of taking it up soon, as a way of balancing out my training wee bit more, so any feedback for it would be appreciated.
Thanks very much.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Howdy ladies and gentlemen. Im just wondering on what you feel the pros/cons of Kendo are and why?
Im thinking of taking it up soon, as a way of balancing out my training wee bit more, so any feedback for it would be appreciated.
Thanks very much.

first, I'll state I'm an outsider looking in, so consider that when hearing my remarks.

I've looked for iaido in my local area. I found a local club, but they tend to emphasise kendo and rarely have iaido classes, so I looked into kendo. From my understanding, it seems to be very "safety" driven. There are only a few strikes taught that score points in tournament format. Other strikes pose too high of a risk for injury. Armor is worn to prevent injury. I suppose long ago armor was worn in combat with swords, but thats not too common of a feature these days. The armor tends to be heavy and relatively expensive (I guess that depend on the size of your wallet). I am guessing that with such heavy armor you get a pretty good workout :)

Would I take it? I'd rather take iaido. I'm not that interested in sweating in heavy armor and being severly limited in the types of strikes you execute and defend. I've never liked having my vision restricted, even if the mask does have minimal impact.

Why would I take it? It's an interesting art, and has some historical aspects to it. I tend to look at it as fencing or archery. Likely you won't be walking around with a foil when you are attacked or be carrying a longbow into war.... Interesting to learn, but not perhaps the most practical art these days.

again, I'd prefer to hear from someone w/ real experience, but this is what I've observed as an outsider looking into the style. Is iaido all that much more practical? Perhaps not, but for me personally, it would be of more interest... Thats just me though :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have real experience in Gumdo the Korean version and a little in Kendo itself. Lot's of fun, good physical workout, definately can improve your timing. Like anything it can make you mentally strong and fit. Understand though that it is not like training way back in the day as it is a sport. (there are differances) Having said that, I always enjoy going at it and have alot of fun doing it when I get the chance.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find kendo/kumdo to be a good balance to my TKD, because it places such an emphasis on upper body strength/speed/agility, as opposed to TKD's emphasis on the lower body.

Also, FYI, almost all kendo schools I've seen include live cutting and forms. I used to brush kendo off as 'just a sport', but it offers a lot in the way of a 'whole art' approach to weapons training.

Kendo is great for learning all those things usually found in competitive fighting arts: timing, control of distance, coordination, speed/strength, and endurance. It also teaches you to use the weapon as an extension of yourself.

Bottom line: try a few classes, and see if you like it persoanlly.

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have real experience in Gumdo the Korean version and a little in Kendo itself. Lot's of fun, good physical workout, definately can improve your timing. Like anything it can make you mentally strong and fit. Understand though that it is not like training way back in the day as it is a sport. (there are differances) Having said that, I always enjoy going at it and have alot of fun doing it when I get the chance.

Heh the sporting element is actually part of what attracted to me, to my mind Kendo somwhat captures what Jigoro Kano intended when he created Judo, a healthy form of personal development that is encouraged through competition.
So I don't mind if its not like training way back in the day, cause I don't live way back in the day ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heh the sporting element is actually part of what attracted to me, to my mind Kendo somwhat captures what Jigoro Kano intended when he created Judo, a healthy form of personal development that is encouraged through competition.
So I don't mind if its not like training way back in the day, cause I don't live way back in the day ;)

I love the competitive nature of Kendo/Gumdo. It really is a blast. Yet if I were to put my life on the line I would rather train in the older Kenjutsu/bikenjutsu styles of Japan. Really this is not a knock on Kendo because I like to do it as much as the next guy/gal.
icon14.gif
(you should definately check it out and give it a try)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ninjamom and Brian, could you give a brief synopsis of your experiences? Ninjamom, I had no idea they actually used live blade work, I thought it was all about the shinai (sp). How heavy would you estimate the armor is, and about how often during training?

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I love the competitive nature of Kendo/Gumdo. It really is a blast. Yet if I were to put my life on the line I would rather train in the older Kenjutsu/bikenjutsu styles of Japan. Really this is not a knock on Kendo because I like to do it as much as the next guy/gal.
icon14.gif
(you should definately check it out and give it a try)

Heh, Im not really looking at this from a combative point of view, because while I do intend to look at and practice sword-fighting in a as effective as a context as possible(I later plan on studying and learning western sword arts as well), that is for a later stage.
At the moment this is more to do with personal development, and the sporting aspect of kendo is part of what I think will help with that.
When I do come a looking for combative stuff, what would you recommend?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, Im not really looking at this from a combative point of view, because while I do intend to look at and practice sword-fighting in a as effective as a context as possible(I later plan on studying and learning western sword arts as well), that is for a later stage.
At the moment this is more to do with personal development, and the sporting aspect of kendo is part of what I think will help with that.
When I do come a looking for combative stuff, what would you recommend?

I think you will enjoy Kendo alot once you get going in it. Just find a dojo that you enjoy and give it a go.
icon14.gif

Well with eastern sword practices you could not go wrong with many of the Koryu arts of Japan. (many ryu to choose from) Out of these the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu or the Shin Kage ryu would be great but there are absolutely multiple ones to choose from. You could also look into Iaido as well. (also lots of ryu to choose from) I for one particularly like the bikenjutsu of the Bujinkan as Hatsumi Sensei is simply a genious and it is dynamic and free flowing in my opinion. (yet you will definately want to look around and find what best suits you) There are lots of options out there when you are ready.
icon14.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ninjamom and Brian, could you give a brief synopsis of your experiences? Ninjamom, I had no idea they actually used live blade work, I thought it was all about the shinai (sp). How heavy would you estimate the armor is, and about how often during training?

I do not really find the armor heavy or restrictive but then I have been wearing it on and off for a long, long time. As to a synopsis well that would take a lot to write it all down. However, my training was mostly private and semi private lessons. We focused on detail of technique and distancing oneself properly plus lots of other little tid bits. Needless to say it is alot of fun and if you get a chance you need to give it a try.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By the way I do not want to be characterized as a kendo/gumdo expert as in no way am I. Just a lowly student who tries every now and then.
icon6.gif
Maybe someone with a lot more experience will chime in later and help you out.
icon14.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good advice from Ninjamom above, particularly the last line :tup:.

One thing to be aware of is that altho' Kendo has all the virtues mentioned in this thread so far, because of it's intended useage as a non-lethal, judged, sport-fighting art, it can train things into you that will hamper your other sword-art interests.

I'd certainly recommend that you do koryu iaido in addition to it and keep the balance between the two. Note that altho' there are iaido forms taught in some kendo schools, these are (generally) a modern amalgamation and my opinion is that you'd be better off with a koryu school (but then again I'm biased :D).

EDIT: Ah, Mr VanCise covered the same ground ... never mind, some things bear repeating :rei:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice from Ninjamom above, particularly the last line :tup:.

One thing to be aware of is that altho' Kendo has all the virtues mentioned in this thread so far, because of it's intended useage as a non-lethal, judged, sport-fighting art, it can train things into you that will hamper your other sword-art interests.

I'd certainly recommend that you do koryu iaido in addition to it and keep the balance between the two. Note that altho' there are iaido forms taught in some kendo schools, these are (generally) a modern amalgamation and my opinion is that you'd be better off with a koryu school (but then again I'm biased :D).

EDIT: Ah, Mr VanCise covered the same ground ... never mind, some things bear repeating :rei:

Very good post! You are absolutely right in that some things do bear repeating!
icon6.gif

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shotgun, what age range are you? If you are young enough, it might make financial sense to study something like fencing for reasons of scholarships :)
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014&highlight=fencing+scholarship

I don't know which schools have the appropriate scholarships, but it might work out well, especially if you are young enough to get a bit of experience under your belt before college :) Just a thought!

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think you will enjoy Kendo alot once you get going in it. Just find a dojo that you enjoy and give it a go.
icon14.gif

Well with eastern sword practices you could not go wrong with many of the Koryu arts of Japan. (many ryu to choose from) Out of these the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu or the Shin Kage ryu would be great but there are absolutely multiple ones to choose from. You could also look into Iaido as well. (also lots of ryu to choose from) I for one particularly like the bikenjutsu of the Bujinkan as Hatsumi Sensei is simply a genious and it is dynamic and free flowing in my opinion. (yet you will definately want to look around and find what best suits you) There are lots of options out there when you are ready.
icon14.gif

Found a dojo thats pretty accessible for me so will be checking out. Koryu arts are damn hard to find in Ireland anyway Im afraid, so that will have to wait for a while. The quality of any of the X-kans in ireland is kinda varied, Ive known dojos that range from the amazing to the terrible in them, so its kinda hard to find something reliable with them. Mores the pity.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
when i was living in japan, i used to drink heavily with a local kendo instructor.

turns out a few bouts of kendo are an amazing hangover cure. you push through the pain until you reach the other side.

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shotgun, what age range are you? If you are young enough, it might make financial sense to study something like fencing for reasons of scholarships :)
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014&highlight=fencing+scholarship

I don't know which schools have the appropriate scholarships, but it might work out well, especially if you are young enough to get a bit of experience under your belt before college :) Just a thought!

Im 21, and I live in Ireland, so unfortunately that option is out of the running. That would have been so fun, to sword-fight my way through college ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D

Bushido has a strong point there; that seems to be a kendoka trait, one shared by archaeologists I might add :lol:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It sure looks like fun! :)

Latest Discussions