What would be the cost/difficulty of setting up an accelerometer into a target

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a video floating around the front page right now in the thread Capoeira Kick where they have accelerometers on the kicking target and use that to determine the force of various kicks.

How expensive would a setup like this cost? I'm curious if I were to build my own, how much I would have to invest to get it up and running.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
they already sell these . why not just buy one.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The commercially available ones are hideously expensive, and not all of them provide figures that are translatable...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a video floating around the front page right now in the thread Capoeira Kick where they have accelerometers on the kicking target and use that to determine the force of various kicks.

How expensive would a setup like this cost? I'm curious if I were to build my own, how much I would have to invest to get it up and running.
our your smart phone on the back of the target, I'm sure there's an app for that

D

Deleted member 39746

If you know anyone whos doing a related biological/physics study as to martial arts/movement, you might be able to convince them to let you use theirs fr their research. (easiest way if you cant afford one) Or try and convince someone who is doing biological study to do a paper on martial arts and "volunteer" yourself to do the tests.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
our your smart phone on the back of the target, I'm sure there's an app for that

I was going to say that my phone has an accelerometer...

But, I don't know if it has sufficient response or resolution to be useful.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

@hoshin1600 is right. You would need a step down transformer, an accel sensor and an end effector to attach it to, a conversion device (controller) to interpret the data from the sensor, and a screen device to display the data, the required programming, all the required wiring and connectors, plus an enclosure to put it all in. Not cost effective. Goggle them. Possibly Direct Automation has them.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was going to say that my phone has an accelerometer...

But, I don't know if it has sufficient response or resolution to be useful.
Some phones do have them but for what I think he wants to do I don't think they could handle the impacts.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/g...gqfpgz2OhNWRhnEYau6CuqTjUnAfpfhxoCMhUQAvD_BwE
Check out the link. You could not build one from scratch this cheap.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/g...gqfpgz2OhNWRhnEYau6CuqTjUnAfpfhxoCMhUQAvD_BwE
Check out the link. You could not build one from scratch this cheap.

Depends if you count and cost your time...

I could build a single axis peak reading accelerometer for pennies (plus hours) using parts and materials I have laying about already. It needn't even have any electronics, but a lit display is always fun.

The difficult part would be calibration.

Wanting to graph the results and introduce multi axis capability is more taxing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Skeptical of that, just because a phone isnt built to be anything but a communications device. it wont be that accurate for testing. (and if you present these results in any serious way, they will point out its a phone, not a purpose built accelerometer and thus its accuracy is up for debate)
Well that's just wrong, phones are built to be lots and lots of things besides a communication device? They are a computer with a built in acceleration meter.

How's accurate do you need them to be ?, clearly they arnt, accurate enough for a ph d thesis, but if you just want to know how hard your kicking and if your power a is improving they are more than accurate enough for that

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends if you count and cost your time...

I could build a single axis peak reading accelerometer for pennies (plus hours) using parts and materials I have laying about already. It needn't even have any electronics, but a lit display is always fun.

The difficult part would be calibration.

Wanting to graph the results and introduce multi axis capability is more taxing.
You may be able to build it for pennies on a circuit board/trainer. But what good would it do you? Yes, you could get some raw output but it would be meaningless with out interpretation and readout.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You may be able to build it for pennies on a circuit board/trainer. But what good would it do you? Yes, you could get some raw output but it would be meaningless with out interpretation and readout.
¿¿??????? If it gives you the acceleration in m/s/s, that's all you actually need oh and a calculator

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
¿¿??????? If it gives you the acceleration in m/s/s, that's all you actually need oh and a calculator
Yes, but it is going to give it to you in either an analog value in either milli-volts or milli-amps or a digital value if the circuit board does the conversion. Sure you could do the conversion but getting the value would be tough. You would at the very least need a multimeter.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am build a BOM for a project and was looking up sensors. I found an accelerometer that measures 7Mv/g to 11Mv/g. A pretty small range to scale and interpret. Knowing 1 Mv would mean one G of force is easy enough but that is very raw and only give you a 5 point range. Sure you can set down and create a worksheet to plot the points in between but trying to make these very small measurements with a handheld unit is tough and not very reliable. Just the sensor is about $50 bucks and it looks robust enough to attach to an end effector (pad, board, etc...). I can understand the prices of the commercially available accelerometers. The use the frequency of vibration so you can also look up vibration sensors and do the same thing.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, but it is going to give it to you in either an analog value in either milli-volts or milli-amps or a digital value if the circuit board does the conversion. Sure you could do the conversion but getting the value would be tough. You would at the very least need a multimeter.

The interpretation of data was included in my initial post...

Hence, peak reading.

Have a known weight, held by a known resistance that is attached to something that can induce a voltage (let's say, a magnet on a spring in a coil), run the output of that "sensor" through a buffer to record the peak value, display that value however you please.

With known variables you can calibrate that display in whatever units you so desire - Newtons, kgf, psi, squirrels...

Adding the capability to display force over time on a graphical display is more complex, but not necessarily required.

A completely analogue version could be an airtight bag with a lump of foam in, with a valved outlet to a tube containing a tennis ball held by friction - kick the bag, the harder you hit the further the ball goes and stays put to allow recording of results. Not a great resolution, not fantastic repeatability, but would still allow comparison between people or over time and even slack tolerance calibration.

Latest Discussions