What will be your mark on the world?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everything must eventually come to an end. But we all leave our mark. On the world, on those we leave behind, on the places we go, and the results of our actions.

What will be yours do you think?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everything must eventually come to an end. But we all leave our mark. On the world, on those we leave behind, on the places we go, and the results of our actions.

What will be yours do you think?

My little boy Adrian, who is a wonderful being and a leading candidate for the best kid in the world.

I've also proved some interesting results in my field and contributed to some important research areas. If I leave any mark at all, it'll be that.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's old. It's hokey. Nonetheless, I stand behind the following quote, seen on teacher plaques, bags, mugs, and other items:

100 years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, what sort of house I lived in or what kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. - Author unknown

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I haven't caused the complete and utter extinction of the human race. So I have that going for me. There's still a lot of time left, though. ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Don't know and now that I have been asked, to be honest it doesn't matter. There are other things much more important to me right now that do so the rest I guess is up to history.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I doubt anybody will remember my name, but I hope a little of me will live on in the children, grandchildren, students of students and others influenced by my students.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am trying to be the best husband, father, friend and teacher that i can be.
If I will have helped make anyones life just a bit better than thats a plus! :0)
If I can give my kids a good start in life then that will make me very happy.
I think being good to those around you leaves a mark. The old ripple effect! :)

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I can pass on a legacy of honor to my son, Bowen (and his possible siblings), and demonstrated the love of God to him (them) and all those around me to glorify my Lord, then I will have fulfilled my purpose.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say I've made 2 lasting marks.

One is MartialTalk and KenpoTalk. I've met alot of people, and because I launched these 2 sites, alot of people have met, trained, and in some cases developed long lasting relationships. I may die tomorrow, but what I started will carry on. Kinda like Wendys and McDonalds...but with less saturated fats. :D

The other mark....is my son. He's a gifted artist, and has the potential to go farther than I ever did.

Both, in a way, are my own immortality. The one dearest to my heart....is not necessarily the one I listed first. ;)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything "great" I might have been able to achieve in the martial arts or music or anything else were fated to never happen when my first child was born.

Being there for them became THE most important thing in my life, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd say I've made 2 lasting marks.

One is MartialTalk and KenpoTalk. I've met alot of people, and because I launched these 2 sites, alot of people have met, trained, and in some cases developed long lasting relationships. I may die tomorrow, but what I started will carry on. Kinda like Wendys and McDonalds...but with less saturated fats. :D

Are you calling US saturated fats? hey now! :rofl:

MT and KT are going to go on as long as the quality remains the same... fats and all. Because remember it's the fat that gives the meat it's flavor! :D

As for me... sigh... I hope that I've made a small contribution to the world of MA through my MA-related posts here.
I hope I've made a contribution to the world of caving through all the people that I've trained over the years and that they'll continue to train others and teach others to love the fragile underground.
And... that people will at least remember me as being (in that David Spade's voice from Tommy Boy) "hmm, he seems to be a nice guy" :D

It's old. It's hokey. Nonetheless, I stand behind the following quote, seen on teacher plaques, bags, mugs, and other items:

100 years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, what sort of house I lived in or what kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. - Author unknown

Hey Kace... I think it was Elanor Roosevelt that said that... and it's a great quote... fitting ... since you're a teacher. :asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the most part people will forget what you say, forget what you do, but people will never forget how you make them feel. I try my best to treat everyone with respect and leave them with a feeling of worth. Famely is one of my greatest legacies. Everything else will fade away.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wow, how can any of us ever know our own legacy? If i think about all the people (living and dead) who have ever inspired or otherwise affected me (for good or ill), how many of them would know what their effect on me has been?

And on another level, what sort of legacy are we talking about? All our lives are but brief sparks against the processes of geology and evoloution etc, and yet all our combined brief sparkings have conspired to increase global temperatures to a dangerous degree, pushing our environment ever further out of kilter. Is the legacy we pass on to the next generation going to be a world that is increasingly unable to support human life?

I guess on a positive note, my life (and i imagine many of yours) is not yet even half over... the legacy we ultimately leave behind is something that is yet to be created...

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carl Spackler: So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

But that actually happened to Bill Murray's character in Caddyshack (1980). I hope my lasting legacy will be as a teacher. I've had a few teaching careers: adult literacy and English, post-secondary teacher, martial arts instructor, and now, K-8 teacher-librarian. I hope that all counts for something.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
**** or Crap if you must know an piss. Keep trying to do something positive just ain't happening for me for some reason.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm hoping that my remains will fertilize a nice little patch of flowers and make people happy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope that someday people will build statues of me and sing songs about me.

Seriously, I think that the biggest thing will be the influence I've had over other people. I like to think that at some point, I have positively influenced the life of at least one Airman. I would like to some day be a martial arts instructor, so hopefully I can pass on my knowledge that way. I also hope to have children one day.

If I had my choice though - I would revolutionize the construction industry with Ultralightweight Concretes.