What weapons do you like to train with and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
And a good shortsword would be handy for making new ones or sharpening old ones.
These are for protection from vampires, right?

A good short sword would be good for making new short swords or sharpening old ones?

For protection from vampires your short swords would supposedly have to be made out of wood, and they would have to be driven through the heart as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, if you go to Whitby you take wooden stakes.

And a good shortsword would be handy for making new ones or sharpening old ones.
These are for protection from vampires, right?

A good short sword would be good for making new short swords or sharpening old ones?

For protection from vampires your short swords would supposedly have to be made out of wood, and they would have to be driven through the heart as well.

The stupid... it makes my brain cry...
picard-facepalm1.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah well, there you go.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good talk to go to. How to Kill a Vampire - Halloween Lecture
Even if you didn't fancy killing vampires the speaker is Curator of Firearms at Leeds Armouries, part of the Royal Armouries. I've been to Leeds Armouries a few times, they have every weapon you could imagine using, from ancient to new. It's a magical place to spend a day or three or a week, a month :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lecture?? That wont do at all... :rolleyes:
Just round house kick em and if it dosnt work try again...

Im sure master ken would know how :D

The lectures at the Royal Armouries often have a quirky theme but brilliant at telling you about ancient ( and modern) weapons, their history, how they are made, how they are used. I went to one about Japanese archery, learnt a lot. Also one about the Battle of Waterloo. There are also galleries of modern weapons, some quite odd and very inventive. There's early rifles and handguns as well as modern ones. Some quite nice shotguns too which my husband wanted (in the UK many of our shotguns we still use are heirlooms, beautifully made and valuable, shotguns aren't banned we just love the workmanship of the 'old' ones))

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So there's been lots of responses as to which weapons a person chooses to train with and why. This is what I like to train with. I like to train with sticks and knives because I find them practical. Knives you can carry with you depending on where you are and they're also very common. Sticks are easy to come by. They are perhaps even more common than knives so its not hard to find a stick of some sort lying around. Also, some people mentioned that they train with certain weapons such as the dao because they're fun. I must say the dao does look like a fun weapon to learn and I would take it up if I knew of a place that taught it in my area. For that same reason I train with swords and sais, because they're fun. Also, some of the techniques done with swords and sais can be applied to other weapons such as sticks. Aside from that I've had exposure to many different types of martial arts weapons, some of them quite unusual, and the techniques for using them. I do that for research and general knowledge.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's note:

Given that this conversation has pretty much dove off into the realm of fantasy, it seems that there's no need to keep it open. If someone wants to continue such a conversation, please use the off-topic forums for that purpose.

Thank you.

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions