What weapons do you like to train with and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
A machete you could say is a type of short sword and its a commonly used tool and very effective so you could keep one in your car and say you're camping and it won't arouse suspicion so machetes are good.
As to arousing suspicion; in my area it is rather common to see Rifles, Shotguns, and pistols as well as bladed tools of many sorts. It is not unusual to see walking sticks either. We are a farming and oil & gas industrial community with a love of the outdoors and hunting, camping, and fishing is prevalent.
You'll see people from the ages of 6&7 up 80; blue collar workers, farmers, business and professional people who are in camo for a morning hunt, business suits for work and in the evening back in camo for another hunt or maybe in the boat fishing. As the culture has changed it isn't seen as much but it is still not unusual to see a youngster with a knife, a machete, a shotgun, or even a rifle.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As to arousing suspicion; in my area it is rather common to see Rifles, Shotguns, and pistols as well as bladed tools of many sorts. It is not unusual to see walking sticks either. We are a farming and oil & gas industrial community with a love of the outdoors and hunting, camping, and fishing is prevalent.
You'll see people from the ages of 6&7 up 80; blue collar workers, farmers, business and professional people who are in camo for a morning hunt, business suits for work and in the evening back in camo for another hunt or maybe in the boat fishing. As the culture has changed it isn't seen as much but it is still not unusual to see a youngster with a knife, a machete, a shotgun, or even a rifle.

I live in a country area and we have plenty of shotguns here, most of us have at least one, though no one dresses up in fancy camo gear to shoot things (well apart from the soldiers on exercise on the training area but they get big toys to play with).

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

To be able to do that you would have to have it with you in the first place. Do you ordinarily carry around a short sword?

Absolutely
Depending on where you are, that can get you in trouble.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't think that's going to wash here, nobody needs a machete in the UK.
Just about anywhere in the USA you can keep a machete in your car. You could say that you're going camping.

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Grade-A trolling goes unnoticed around here, eh? Fine. :D

I like to train the stick and/or knife. Get good with those and you can wield anything with even a remote resemblance. Also, the better you are with distance, timing, and accuracy with a knife in your hand, the less likely you are to gut someone when and if you're in the position to defend yourself with a knife. Part of being highly trained is having high control over your movements imo. And even still, if you know how to wield a knife, you should get pretty good at knowing how to defend yourself against a knife, too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grade-A trolling goes unnoticed around here, eh? Fine. :D

I like to train the stick and/or knife. Get good with those and you can wield anything with even a remote resemblance. Also, the better you are with distance, timing, and accuracy with a knife in your hand, the less likely you are to gut someone when and if you're in the position to defend yourself with a knife. Part of being highly trained is having high control over your movements imo. And even still, if you know how to wield a knife, you should get pretty good at knowing how to defend yourself against a knife, too.

Who are you accusing of trolling? No one is trolling here, you are mistaken.
Carrying a machete in the UK, as I said, will get you arrested. Carry a knife without good reason and that will get you arrested also.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carrying a machete in the UK, as I said, will get you arrested. Carry a knife without good reason and that will get you arrested also.
But usually not in the USA. I don't hang out in the UK much.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an international site though, people from all over the world on here so a good place to learn about other people's cultures.

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Who are you accusing of trolling? No one is trolling here, you are mistaken.

See my last post in page 1.

Same here. I've never even left America unless you count being in Canadian water on a boat once.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is an international site though, people from all over the world on here so a good place to learn about other people's cultures.

That's why if you're going to train with a weapon for self defense that various factors must be taken into consideration and one of those factors is if you plan to carry the weapon and if its legal to do so in your country and location.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on where in the US you are. I can very easily arrest you for having a machete in your car here if I choose to do so. Ive never personally done it but Ive seen it done several times, machetes, knives, swords.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on where in the US you are. I can very easily arrest you for having a machete in your car here if I choose to do so. Ive never personally done it but Ive seen it done several times, machetes, knives, swords.

You're from Massachusetts I believe. Im not surprised. Massachusetts can be like that. In most states in the USA you can just say that you're camping. They might not buy that in Massachusetts but in most other states that would be a good legitimate reason, particularly the more rural states.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're from Massachusetts I believe. Im not surprised. Massachusetts can be like that. In most states in the USA you can just say that you're camping. They might not buy that in Massachusetts but in most other states that would be a good legitimate reason, particularly the more rural states.

So they aren't camp in Massachusetts then?

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Swords, swords and more swords. Longsword, Choken, messer and my most recent love, the Dussack. It's essentially a leather sabre. Is it ever fun. A better trainer for range and timing with one-handed weapons I have never seen nor used. It's also insanely cheap to practice. Full speed sparring only requires a three-weapon fencing mask and lacrosse gloves. Maybe elbow and groin protection if you want to be really safe. For those looking to get into HEMA on the cheap, it's a great option.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I know about Mass they aren't that friendly about guns, knives, or any bladed objects, except for perhaps pocketknives.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not from Massachusetts but either way claiming the machete hidden under my seat is for camping and you have no other camping gear well that's probably not a good answer. Tell me it's for camping and I see a tent and cooler and sleeping bags well your prob ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions