What weapons do you like to train with and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So for everybody who trains with martial arts weapons, what weapons do you like to train with and why?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The stick or club, because, they are the most common thing you will be attacked by, and the most common thing that just happens to be lying around. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My fists! They punch, they gouge, they block, they grab pull hyperextend and throw the target across the mat right before I driving my knee into their side. That or probably something cool you might see in some kind of bruce lee movie

Joking aside; my real answer would probably be my rokushakubo it was my first weapon I learned I like it because it gives me distance from my target thus have time to think of a strategy

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The stick or club, because, they are the most common thing you will be attacked by, and the most common thing that just happens to be lying around. :)

Good point. You like to train with weapons that are likely to be close at hand. You can be the best person in the world with a particular weapon but it won't do you much good if you don't have the weapon with you in the first place.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stick, Short Sword, Tactical knife, Pocket folder, Hand Gun, Rifle, Staff.
The applications work well and they all integrate with the training I have.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stick, Short Sword, Tactical knife, Pocket folder, Hand Gun, Rifle, Staff.
The applications work well and they all integrate with the training I have.

So what would you use a short sword for?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boken and jo staff, not practical but sets the foundation for other things.
Machete, baseball bat, knives, long handle hachet and my favorite the carpenters 22 ounce waffle head framing hammer.
In my younger years I played with nunchucku, tonfa and sai. Did I mention the framing hammer....I like to Crack bones :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what would you use a short sword for?
Well I am from South Louisiana where there is huge amount of flood plain area/s. A lot of swamp, black berry briars, and forest, and sugar cane areas.
So for me a Short Sword =
Machete, Cane knife, or a bolo type sword. ...and I do have a machete in my vehicles.

The training with and against the short sword builds great attributes which integrates into other martial applications.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
To be able to do that you would have to have it with you in the first place. Do you ordinarily carry around a short sword?

You are assuming that there has to be a reason for training something beyond "holy crap this is fun!"

I will be the first to say that me practicing sword dueling is time poorly spent if my main purpose was simply to defend myself.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good point. You like to train with weapons that are likely to be close at hand. You can be the best person in the world with a particular weapon but it won't do you much good if you don't have the weapon with you in the first place.
If it gets too crazy, I will smash my opponents into what have you. :)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I am from South Louisiana where there is huge amount of flood plain area/s. A lot of swamp, black berry briars, and forest, and sugar cane areas.
So for me a Short Sword =
Machete, Cane knife, or a bolo type sword. ...and I do have a machete in my vehicles.

The training with and against the short sword builds great attributes which integrates into other martial applications.

A machete you could say is a type of short sword and its a commonly used tool and very effective so you could keep one in your car and say you're camping and it won't arouse suspicion so machetes are good.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are assuming that there has to be a reason for training something beyond "holy crap this is fun!"
Well that's a reason and if that's your reason to each their own.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A machete you could say is a type of short sword and its a commonly used tool and very effective so you could keep one in your car and say you're camping and it won't arouse suspicion so machetes are good.

Don't think that's going to wash here, nobody needs a machete in the UK.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strangly when I carry my saber I find people to be more polite and compliant :D
I don't have a sabre, have a rather nice kukri given to me by a Gurkha friend though. Mind, just walking down the street with a Gurkha makes people be polite lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions