What weapons do you have at hand?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
My teacher was talking about this last night at the end of class. If you're at home; be it sitting down for dinner, watching TV, going to bed at night, and you hear the bad guys kicking in your door, what is the best (not necessarily your favorite) weapon you have that you can grab in those precious few seconds that you have to react?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My teacher was talking about this last night at the end of class. If you're at home; be it sitting down for dinner, watching TV, going to bed at night, and you hear the bad guys kicking in your door, what is the best (not necessarily your favorite) weapon you have that you can grab in those precious few seconds that you have to react?

Upstairs I have an old baseball bat in the closet and of course my sticks. Downstairs, well, the kitchen is not far away, so knives are close by.

Interestingly enough, my wife and I were talking last night after dinner about a convo. that I had with someone I work with who is in the Reserves. He spent some time in Iraq, so he's seen alot. The subject of shooting someone came up, the effects it has on someone, should you have to shoot at another human, knowing that the decision you make can alter both your life and theirs in a matter of seconds.

I have never killed anyone and I'm sure that day will never come...hopefully. However, give the recent brutal home invasion in Cheshire, CT. a few months ago, where 3 people were killed and one seriously beaten, I think that people need to keep that right to defend their home. Does stabbing someone with a knife sound brutal? Yes, very much so, but in a violent situation like that, I'm going to do my best to make sure its me that survives.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Normally, I'd say "break in and find out" but WTH.

Kitchen - big frying pan and carving knife wielded ala espada y daga. :D

Living room - katana or cavalry saber on the wall, both fuctional, both sharp.

Bedroom - choice between pistol or shotgun.

Basement - Immediate choice between about 5 functional swords, 3 large knives, a tomahawk, a warhammer, or an axe. Given about 30 seconds (how long does the door hold?) another glock or a choice between a FAL, or AR.

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Living room - katana or cavalry saber on the wall, both fuctional, both sharp.

Basement - Immediate choice between about 5 functional swords, 3 large knives, a tomahawk, a warhammer, or an axe. Given about 30 seconds (how long does the door hold?) another glock or a choice between a FAL, or AR.

Don't you think that you would run into fighting-space restraints if using a sword, let alone a warhammer, inside a house?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a good reason to train in iaido wherein we learn how to utilise a katana in space restricted areas.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Don't you think that you would run into fighting-space restraints if using a sword, let alone a warhammer, inside a house?

There isn't anything terribly complicated about a straight thrust with a sword of any length, I probably wouldn't grab my bastard sword though, I'd probably grab the gladius. But yest the axe and warhammer wouldn't be good choices, but better than empty hand.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anywhere I reach something comes to hand. Everything I can lay hands on is a weapon. The fluffy Cthulhu doll or the dirty socks on the floor can be thrown as a distraction. It's a weapon that alters the attacker's ability to perceive his surroundings. The piece of rope I'm turning into a bell pull has a star-and-crown knot in the end. It is a bludgeon that can kill. The picture in its frame has a hard edge which can poke. The laboratory stand is heavy and can be used to hit. The pen can poke. The lighter and can of butane make a field-expedient flamethrower. The black leather and barbed wire rose can leave a nasty scrape. The tobacco pipe has a long stiff stem which can poke. The door can obstruct. The other door can be opened to release two German Shepherds.

Those are just what's within arm's reach right now. I'm not even going to start on The Great Toad Hoard of sharp pointed objects, the gun safe, the Silat bag, the kitchen or the workshop.

To the Pure all things are pure. To the bloody minded all things are weapons.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
My cell phone.

If your scenario means that I'm sitting in my den and someone busts through the front door, I think my options are limited to whatever is ready to hand. No time to think - just react.

But if I had a few minutes to think it over I'd probaby just hit the "police" button on my alarm system. Ditto the cell phone if I'm out in the yard.

Having a small child at home means that my guns are safeguarded. I have a couple of swords in my office that are functional; failing that I'd probably head for the butcher knives in my kitchen, the machetes in my garage, etc. - whatever is at hand. I usually carry a small folder, as well.

Best,

Steve

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
In regards to everyone above who mentioned swords and other "long range" weapons, while they will work, your angles of attack are limited if fighting in a confined space (like a hallway).
Personally, I don't have a good fighting knife to keep near my bedside, but I do have a nice heavy "Huskey" brand hammer with a really nice grip. I figure that it's small enough that I can attack someone from any angle, even in a constrained space.
Thoughts?

kalikg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
JBrainard...a hammer? I'd bet that would do nicely. Would that be a claw hammer? If so, better yet! How perfect for tight spaces and maximum damage...I wish I had thought of it first. You can bet there will be a hammer near the couch now!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Katana's and long swords are still god thrusting weapons in a house.

I prefer the wakazashi and or short swords as this allows for more options.

And yes I did actually use a Katana in my house many years ago. I was a sleep. My brother came home and left did not come into the house. He let hsi friend in and told him to go to his room and stay there. He went in and then wondered down the hall towards my room. I heard the steps and funny as it sounds it did not sound like anyone I knew. I rolled out of bed grabbed the closest thing which was a katana and out I went. I meet him walking back out of my brothers bedroom. He stepped out into the point of the sword. He freaked. I asked who he was. He asked who I was. I smiled and said I had the sword, he should answer me. He told me. I asked him if he minded if we just waited for my brother to come home. Or we could call the cops right now. He looked at the blade point and then just said I hope he gets back soon.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The best weapon I have is whats between my ears.

I've never had to deal with bad guys kicking down my door. However, I have had the bad guy that lived under my roof, or the bad guy that was invited over. Precious few seconds? Sometimes there aren't any.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I might have a freeweight in each hand so I cab show the baddies what "dumbbells" they are ;)

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have an 18" steel pipe with a golf grip, good for tight spaces and hard enough to leave a mark. Added that one after being looted after a hurricane( I guess the national guard guys didn't think it was strange that people were carrying tvs and stereos OUT of the house).
Scott

Latest Discussions