What weapons are Taekwondo?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because a school is not part of KKW or ITF and chooses to add weapons training to their curriculum does not make them a McDojo.

And/or.

A school can be a member of KKW and add weapons training (as mine does).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weapons are part of our curriculum after black belt, to include bo staff, eskrima sticks, knife, sword, and nunchaku. We are registered with KKW and I have my dan certificates and ID cards from KKW.

It's unfortunate that they don't see fit to teach you that "bo" means "staff", so saying "bo staff" is redundantly stupid redundancy.

My understanding is that you cannot take away from the KKW curriculum (i.e. you couldn't not teach Koryo and Keumgang) but you can add to it. There's a lot in our curriculum that - to my knowledge - isn't required tested material by KKW. For example, defense drills, hand grabs and body grabs, and the weapon skills.

That is correct. The Kukkiwon endorses a set of minimum requirements. And they are VERY minimal. Which is why it's common enough to get 1st Dan in a year or two in a strictly Kukkiwon school.

How would ADDING material to a belt test make it a McDojo?

Maybe if the instructor didn't have any actual training in the weapon and was just teaching some flashy junk they picked up by watching YouTube videos? And even that wouldn't invalidate other training, assuming the instructor wasn't entirely a follow of the Ashida Kim system.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
shrimp scampi.

Well, that's not a reduncancy...

Scampi is a shellfish all it's own, it's only (really) in the US that shrimp were substituted due to lack of supply.

Technically, I suppose it should really be "shrimp cooked like scampi", but hey ;)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They've got to hit me first - we're talking an unskilled person, remember?

Years back I did a 'thing' with the army where we got to shoot on the ranges. Handguns were done indoors, on a 30 yard range.

Of about 30 people (excluding me, I've shot a bit) not one managed more than one shot (out of 12) inside a 12" static target, with time to position, aim, breathe, aim again, and so on.

Given where I live, that sort of performance is what I'd consider reasonably average...

If I have no chance staying still, I'll grab those slim odds with both hands - worth a go...

Yeah, aiming a gun is not as easy as it looks in the movies. One of the biggest danger with guns & untrained people, IMO, is that you can accidently hit someone who's not your target. With a sword or baseball bat or whatever, you can only hit what's in the range of that weapon, which is unlikely to be more than one person unless you're in the middle of a mosh pit or something. But with a firearm, you could miss and hit someone 50 yards away, and there's no way to defend against that, really.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that they don't see fit to teach you that "bo" means "staff", so saying "bo staff" is redundantly stupid redundancy.

Luv it. Almost as good as yelling the word "KIHAP". That would be like yelling the word "YELL".

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

My understanding is that a Bo Staff is a staff between 5-6 feet long. Compared with a Jo staff, which is 4 feet long, or a quarterstaff which is 6-9 feet long.

Maybe "bo" would suffice, but sometimes you use a synonym to help orient the reader/listener (I'll get to this point in a minute).

We also have a student named Bo at our school, so it's helpful to differentiate.

Do you take it with you when you get cash from the ATM machine, too?

If you're doing that, don't forget your pin number...

I work IT. If I tell people "type in your PIN" they invariably ask me "my password or my number?"
If I say "type in your PIN number" they know exactly what I mean.

Of course, in the military there's so many acronyms you have to let people know which acronym you're referring to, so I'll always use phrases like ATM Machine, CAC Card (common access card card), PIN Number, etc. I do this on purpose to help orient my audience.

That is correct. The Kukkiwon endorses a set of minimum requirements. And they are VERY minimal. Which is why it's common enough to get 1st Dan in a year or two in a strictly Kukkiwon school.

Maybe if the instructor didn't have any actual training in the weapon and was just teaching some flashy junk they picked up by watching YouTube videos? And even that wouldn't invalidate other training, assuming the instructor wasn't entirely a follow of the Ashida Kim system.

This is basically the same for martial arts. The Master at my school knows his stuff. The weapons curriculum itself may be watered down (I'm not even going to pretend the couple sword forms I know make me a kendo expert), but the instruction we do get is quality instruction.

Luv it. Almost as good as yelling the word "KIHAP". That would be like yelling the word "YELL".

What's wrong with yelling "yell"?

And usually we yell the word so people get the energy from us to feedback the energy in their yell.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I work IT. If I tell people "type in your PIN" they invariably ask me "my password or my number?"

Of course, in the military there's so many acronyms you have to let people know which acronym you're referring to, so I'll always use phrases like ATM Machine, CAC Card (common access card card), PIN Number, etc. I do this on purpose to help orient my audience.

I used to work in IT, if I got that response I'd invariably say "if I meant your password, I would've said password".

Interpretation should be contextual, if you were to get told to hold the bo in thirds, seriously how many people would go and grab Bo? ;)

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to work in IT, if I got that response I'd invariably say "if I meant your password, I would've said password".

Interpretation should be contextual, if you were to get told to hold the bo in thirds, seriously how many people would go and grab Bo? ;)

Well, I would rather say "PIN number" than have those two extra lines of dialog.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that a Bo Staff is a staff between 5-6 feet long. Compared with a Jo staff, which is 4 feet long, or a quarterstaff which is 6-9 feet long.

Like Bo, the word Jo is sufficient.

We also have a student named Bo at our school, so it's helpful to differentiate.

I'm pretty sure people could figure it out from the context... if not, let them pick Bo up by his ankles and give him a swing. It'll be fun.

As someone else said, bring them up to your level. Don't lower yourself to theirs.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I worked in a garage years ago, there was a guy called Jack who worked there too.

I never recall any confusion when it came to lifting a car...