What weapon do you fence?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how to post a poll, but to helpt his thread get going again, what weapon does everyone (if there is anyone :wah:) fence?
I'm personally an epeeist.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always liked the schalger, since it's the closest possible to an actual rapier.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you use for a rapier? A real rapier, even unsharpened, is (I would say) unsafe for contact fencing without armor. And wearing armor would sort of defeat the purpose of rapier training, wouldn't it?

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure how to post a poll, but to helpt his thread get going again, what weapon does everyone (if there is anyone :wah:) fence?

Longsword, messer, rapier.

I would love to take up classical fencing, or even better, one of the older German sabre lineages.

Best regards,

-Mark

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you use for a rapier? A real rapier, even unsharpened, is (I would say) unsafe for contact fencing without armor. And wearing armor would sort of defeat the purpose of rapier training, wouldn't it?

Something along these lines with a 40" T03 rapier blade: http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/catalog.php?item=252&catid=70&ret=catalog.php?category=70

From what I understand, a schalger blade has a diamond cross section. I've never fenced schlager, so I don't know how they compare, but the blades we use are unsharpened but have a distinct "edge" and have a center ridge.

The tips are blunted and use a washer reinforced a rubber tip. we wear regular fencing attire with the addition of a puncture proof hood (similar material to a fencing jacket) and a gorge.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something along these lines with a 40" T03 rapier blade: http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/catalog.php?item=252&catid=70&ret=catalog.php?category=70

From what I understand, a schalger blade has a diamond cross section. I've never fenced schlager, so I don't know how they compare, but the blades we use are unsharpened but have a distinct "edge" and have a center ridge.

The tips are blunted and use a washer reinforced a rubber tip. we wear regular fencing attire with the addition of a puncture proof hood (similar material to a fencing jacket) and a gorge.

I've seen schlagers with both diamond and flattened oval cross sections. Both styes have a distinct edge. I think we're using different terms for the same blades. The rest of the gear also sounds very similar, if not virtually identical.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen schlagers with both diamond and flattened oval cross sections. Both styes have a distinct edge. I think we're using different terms for the same blades. The rest of the gear also sounds very similar, if not virtually identical.
Possible, though catalogs make a distinction between schlager and rapier blades, so there must be some technical difference, if only a stylistic one. On a practical level, they're probably the same or similar enough.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Among the historic "Classic" systems: Singlestick. Long for Heavy Saber and Short for Cutlass.

Bowie Knife would also count to some.

I've experimented a bit with 19th-early-20th C. Bayonet fencing but have not really given it the attention it deserves.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I use to fence (I try to keep up on the basics) I used the foil primarily. However I also did some work with epa and rapier. I think I like the rapier the most as far as European fencing goes.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The rapier (or schlager) is at least something that resembles a real weapon. Epee could be considered to resemble a smallsword, if you squint. Foil... blech. :(

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The rapier (or schlager) is at least something that resembles a real weapon. Epee could be considered to resemble a smallsword, if you squint. Foil... blech. :(
To Classicists, the Foil is the foundation of all fencing. In their pedagogy, you can't learn Epe or Sabre without first learning Foil. It may be boring but so is doing the first Kata over endlessly.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To Classicists, the Foil is the foundation of all fencing. In their pedagogy, you can't learn Epe or Sabre without first learning Foil. It may be boring but so is doing the first Kata over endlessly.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Sorry, but now I'm confused. Seems to me that the foil was invented in the mid-18th century. That's a long time after people like Agrippa taught fencing. So... classic fencing would be with the rapier (or something approximating it), not those modern toys called foils. :)

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, but now I'm confused. Seems to me that the foil was invented in the mid-18th century. That's a long time after people like Agrippa taught fencing. So... classic fencing would be with the rapier (or something approximating it), not those modern toys called foils. :)

I don't know, I think the foil has it's place. I think it was a gentleman's weapon. A foil thrust through the heart, or neck would end a life quick enough, however at the sometime poking holes in someone with a foil required a certain about of fineness and the weapon it's self seems to be one which is easy to wound then others.

Either way I rather enjoyed the sword played I learned with it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know, I think the foil has it's place. I think it was a gentleman's weapon. A foil thrust through the heart, or neck would end a life quick enough, however at the sometime poking holes in someone with a foil required a certain about of fineness and the weapon it's self seems to be one which is easy to wound then others.

The foil was never a weapon.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The modern foil descends from the training weapon used to learn the small sword and later the dueling sword (epee).

Epee could be considered to resemble a smallsword, if you squint.
The modern epee descends from the 19th century dueling sword, and doesn't look all that different, grip not withstanding. Because duels to the death were illegal, duels to first blood or first cut became common, so the whole of the body was an equally advantageous target. Presumably this is why the epee has large bell guard while the small sword made due with smaller shells.

Sport techniques not withstanding, foil methodology is the foundation for eighteenth, nineteenth, early twentieth century civilian swordsmanship.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Latest Discussions