What type of sword to use for training

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
See. There's that ignorance thing cropping up again. Full tang does not mean it is safe to train with, even solo. Go do those forum searches. If you want something to train with solo, then what you want is an iaito and not a stainless steel wallhanger.

Actually you'd be far better off putting your wallhanger down and finding some real instruction. Why play around at sword twirling when you can enroll in genuine sword instruction?

I really would like to have direct instruction, but as always.....time

.....have a nice day everyone; later

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Proper instruction is critical. It's no different than empty hand martial arts training, and that it's important to have an experienced teacher guiding you. Swordlady and Charles Mahan have already pointed out some very valid issues from a sword handling view.

Instead of piling on top of that, I'm going to give my two cents from another perspective.

Suppose someone who isn't trained in the martial arts suddenly tries to get up and start performing moves that he saw from the Kung Fu movies of old? Someone who hasn't been trained, and doesn't have a supervising teacher could easily damage his own body by such unsupervised training. There are many things that could go wrong, for example:

1) The untrained individual (let's abbreviate it as UTI) may be practicing punching, but locking out his elbow, possibly hyperextending it.

2) The UTI may be trying to kick to a height that's beyond his capability, resulting in torn muscles, ligaments, etc.

3) The UTI's body may not be physically ready to handle a full workout, and could even end up cracking his own bones especially when trying to practice falls.

4) The UTI might not understand the proper mechanics, and be damaging ligaments, tendons, etc. all over his body.

5) The UTI might, God forbid, try practicing his techniques on others, and yes, even accidentally severely harm them. I think we all know what can happen if someon accidentally (or purposefully) delivers a forceful blow to the mastoid process, the throat, etc. He might try joint locks against a partner and severely harm him, or be harmed.

6) The UTI could develop a nasty injury without knowing the extent of it.

At least with a teacher there, the teacher can properly begin the UTI on a regimen of proven basics that are within the UTI's capability, and make adjustments to that regimen based on how he (the teacher) sees fit. The UTI would start be learning correct punching mechanics, correct stances, and using the entire body in a proper manner.

In your case, Calm Intention, get some proper training *somewhere*. If you can't find a JSA teacher, then try some introductory fencing lessons from one of the local fencing clubs. If there are universities / colleges in your area, you can certainly try your hand at fencing, even if you are not affiliated with the university. This way, you get proper training, in a safe setting.

Calm Intention, I don't think that you are incapable of being a proficient swordsman. Anyone who is willing to listen with an open mind, and uphold some reasonable tidbits of wisdom, has the capability of doing so, but they must be willing to listen. Period.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
You know, too many people out there without proper instruction are so into just getting a sword for recreational swinging. With recreational swinging (some call it "training" for whatever reason) as their basis, it's no wonder they ask "what's a good sword or size for me?"

Swords are so much more interesting when you recieve proper instruction. And with proper instruction and guidance from a legitimate instructor, not only will the instructor have a guideline of what to look for in a sword, you learn to understand what size and type of sword you need. Otherwise if you don't recieve legitimate training, you don't "need" a sword. You're looking for a play thing to live out something that don't reflect the way swordsmanship was done for life and death in ancient times.

Captain Harlock

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Others have said much that this one would say. Their advice is most sound.
Swords are not toys, and those found at low prices at flea markets and at surplus stores are worthless, good only for display. Steel can be strong and it can be brittle. A good blade will run you hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Be warned, "twirling" is not good.

Blade of the East

White Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree, twirling is great for movies (or for the intention of killing oneself). I can almost guarantee that you will never see a sword master twirl his sword.
Doesn't anyone use common sense anymore? no offense

Just a bit off topic, What should a good sword be made of?

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just want to say, I do appreciate the concern shown here, although my personal workouts with a sharp sword is my business, and if it was noted, I did not recommend to the thread starter, my routine(I did mention this earlier).
As to 'twirling',, I may have mistaked, so let me clear this up.
I do figure 8's(reg and reverse), so maybe that is not twirling. Possibly a semanitcs difference here, so I apologize.

Yes, I could possibly find a way into a school setting, but my time is constrained, and I have some personal health issues too- frankly, I'm doing fine considering; and I will never be like any of you in terms of proficiency, or be so-called 'combat ready':) . Then again, there may be some Samurai or Ninja awaiting me somewhere- who knows.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok so you acknowledge the risks. Are quite happy making it up as you go along. That begs a very interesting question?

Why in heavens name would you bother? Seriously I don't get it at all. I's one thing to join an established lineage be part of an oral tradition, learn some genuinely interesting things, etc. What can you be getting out of faking it that makes it worth the time and effort?

Please don't take it the wrong way. I'm genuinely curious.

Ojiisan

White Belt
Reaction score
Charles,

Don't worry about "Calm Intention". The Darwinian Theory will soon kick in and he will not be back.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ojiisan said:
Charles,

Don't worry about "Calm Intention". The Darwinian Theory will soon kick in and he will not be back.

That's what we're afraid of. We've already heard too many stories of people getting seriously injured from not-so-wise sword practice, and want to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again to Calm Intention.

Ojiisan

White Belt
Reaction score
Jennifer,

It is only because he refuses to listen to reason that I invoked the Darwin remark. Numerous people here have tried in vain to convince him of the dangers he is exposing himself to. He will end up hurt/dead or will finally realize that no one here is trying to "put him down" but rather trying to save his life/limb.

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
Ok so you acknowledge the risks. Are quite happy making it up as you go along. That begs a very interesting question?

Why in heavens name would you bother? Seriously I don't get it at all. I's one thing to join an established lineage be part of an oral tradition, learn some genuinely interesting things, etc. What can you be getting out of faking it that makes it worth the time and effort?

Please don't take it the wrong way. I'm genuinely curious.

Are you curious? I really detect something I've known for years, and your last few responses tell me a whole lot.
Have a nice holiday;;; and get rid of your cute edge; and then I will respect yours.
Dude, if I had training, I'd be in the 80th percentile AT MIMIMUM.
I believe that really bothers you, but after your last few responses,, I REALLY DON'T CARE....thankyou.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
Are you curious? I really detect something I've known for years, and your last few responses tell me a whole lot.
Have a nice holiday;;; and get rid of your cute edge; and then I will respect yours.
I believe that really bothers you, but after your last few responses,, I REALLY DON'T CARE....thankyou.

Well, if you don't care you can stop responding.

I think that you are getting angry at some damn good advice being sent your way.

Some of us have had actual instruction from a real teacher. And we have probably all looked at books and videos and things that supposably would help you to learn on your own.

So, we have experience that you do not have while you do not have any experience that we do not as well. So it is from that position of greater knowledge and experience that people have been telling you to not do things- or at least don't trumpet it here for others to follow. Especially if you don't like people jumping in to point out to the audience that what you do is not advised.

If someone who had all the experience I had plus a lot more was telling me the types of things you are being told, I would probably listen. Perhaps you should think about it.

And if you don't care, then just stop posting in this thread instead of telling us how you don't care.:rolleyes:

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Well, if you don't care you can stop responding.

I think that you are getting angry at some damn good advice being sent your way.

Some of us have had actual instruction from a real teacher. And we have probably all looked at books and videos and things that supposably would help you to learn on your own.

So, we have experience that you do not have while you do not have any experience that we do not as well. So it is from that position of greater knowledge and experience that people have been telling you to not do things- or at least don't trumpet it here for others to follow. Especially if you don't like people jumping in to point out to the audience that what you do is not advised.

If someone who had all the experience I had plus a lot more was telling me the types of things you are being told, I would probably listen. Perhaps you should think about it.

And if you don't care, then just stop posting in this thread instead of telling us how you don't care.:rolleyes:

I don't like some of his insertions; he could phrase himself different.
If you read some of my responses(here and on other threads), then I think you may conclude that I'm not some turkey without a clue of things.

*yes, my part on this thread is over...."and I do respect everyone's concern". :asian:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
If you read some of my responses(here and on other threads), then I think you may conclude that I'm not some turkey without a clue of things.

I have read what you have been writing. That is why I have to urge you to take the advice of folks with experiences you do not have. A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from other people's mistakes. People are telling you that what you are doing is dangerous because others have been injured trying it. To think that you are too smart to have the same thing happen to you is a bit egotistical, don't you think?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
Yes, I could possibly find a way into a school setting, but my time is constrained, and I have some personal health issues too-

CI, I would still urge you to at least try a class at the school. Almost every school is going to be willing to let you at least try a free lesson to see if you like it. If you really like something, then you'll find the time.

frankly, I'm doing fine considering; and I will never be like any of you in terms of proficiency, or be so-called 'combat ready':) . Then again, there may be some Samurai or Ninja awaiting me somewhere- who knows.

As for the above, I think you're going to find that learning the sword arts isn't nearly as emphatic about training the body, but rather, training the mind. Many older folks are still excellent swordsmen. While they aren't going to deliver nearly as forceful of a blow, they can still cut with the best of them, because of better technique, timing, and leverage. This comes with experience.

Also, a good teacher will recognize a particular student's limitations, and work with him to help him progress.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:

You'll be in the 80% percentile? Are you implying that you would be better than most everyone else with training? Isn't that a bit presumptuous of you to make such a statement?

Most all of us who had been posting to you have training in some kind of JSA. And any sword practioner would tell you that safety in training is key. Making a mistake with a weapon can do a great deal more damage to yourself than making a mistake with an empty-hand kata.

Have you gotten around to reading about Don Rice on SFI? He was "self-training" in Iaido for over twenty years, but a single lapse in judgment almost cost him his arm - and possibly his life.

Again...PLEASE consider what people have shared with you, since we are concerned about your safety and well-being.

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I have read what you have been writing. That is why I have to urge you to take the advice of folks with experiences you do not have.
1.A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from other people's mistakes. People are telling you that what you are doing is dangerous because others have been injured trying it.
2.To think that you are too smart to have the same thing happen to you is a bit egotistical, don't you think?

1.quite clear, basic to all things in life
2.I didn't know my comments or retort== 'too smart'

The only egotistical remark was my "80th percentile" brag. That was foolish of me, egotisitical, and showed my own lack of 'calm' and weakness.

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
You'll be in the 80% percentile? Are you implying that you would be better than most everyone else with training? Isn't that a bit presumptuous of you to make such a statement?

As I responded to Don, I went stupid with that comment.
However, I do feel I have talent, a strong affection for what I do, and since I own probably the best Aikido Philosophy book around:
'Aikido' and the Harmony of Nature...by Mitsugi Saotome,, which so incisively and elegantly, describes the relationship of the 'one-ness' of all things......even linking the quantum world's principles to both the philosophy and actions of their art,, I think that may show that I am more than just someone swinging things around with no focus as to the why of it.
The 80% remark was definitely an embarrassment on my part, but I actually believe that with about 10 years of instructional training, I would be in that bracket of proficiency.

Blade of the East

White Belt
Reaction score
Books are great recorces; however, they cannot replace an actual instructor. If I were you I would be searching the phonebook/ internet to find dojos in my area.

Just a thought.