What to repub next?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, have your say, what should I start next:

• Principles of Squad Instructions for the Broadsword by A. J. Corbersier, 1869
  • Boxing by D. C. Hutchison, 1913
  • How to Box by Frank Tousey, 1882
  • Spalding's Athletic Library, How to Punch the Bag by Young Corbett, 1904
  • United States Navy Drill by Tom Sharkey, 1905
  • The Science of Wrestling and the Art of Jiu Jitsu by Earle Liederman, 1926 Edition
  • the Sandow-Lewis Library Vol. VII - Wrestling, by Billy Sandow and Ed "Strangler" Lewis, 1926
  • Spalding's Athletic Library - Boxing, 1902
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My vote would be for:

Principles of Squad Instructions for the Broadsword by A. J. Corbersier, 1869

I'd be interested, amongst other things, in seeing what was defined as a broadsword in this work - a subject I recall discoursing on over at another site many years ago, learning a lot about the malleability of terms over time :eek: :D.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anything except The Science of Wrestling and the Art of Jiu Jitsu by Earle Liederman unless if you just want to browse through photos otherwise this book doesn't really have much in it.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My vote would be for:

Principles of Squad Instructions for the Broadsword by A. J. Corbersier, 1869

I'd be interested, amongst other things, in seeing what was defined as a broadsword in this work - a subject I recall discoursing on over at another site many years ago, learning a lot about the malleability of terms over time :eek: :D.
Yes, that is correct. Very, very flexible term usually meaning some sort of single handed, basket hilted, sword. Usually, but not always, with a slightly wider than average blade. Could be a curved saber or a straight "backsword" style blade.

In this case, the manual is a U.S. Navy manual. The swords discussed are intended to be cutlass-like, but the pics illustrating clearly show a Naval Saber more suited to a Naval Officer than a Deckhand. The blades do not appear particularly "broad" in the illustrations.

The drills listed, however, are better suited for shorter saber-like-swords than the longer ones which are illustrated.

My suspicion is that one of two things happened (or both). First, the author was probably a classically trained swordsman and his experience was with the full length military saber and the dueling saber and that he modified his system for shorter swords. Second, the artist employed wasn't actually familiar with cutlasses in use and just drew traditional sabers.

Naturally, I could be out in left field on either of these.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anything except The Science of Wrestling and the Art of Jiu Jitsu by Earle Liederman unless if you just want to browse through photos otherwise this book doesn't really have much in it.
It is literally packed full of photos in a 6x9 format. The pics are high quality, especially for the time. There is some amount of instructional text in the first part, but you're right that it doesn't really cover any "new" ground and the author clearly intends the photos, copious and frequent, to bear the brunt of instruction.

This particular book is not a "chap book" by any stretch, in contrast with most sports/boxing/wrestling books from the same time period (Foxes, Police Gazette, Spaldings, etc.). It is leather bound and the front cover is embossed with a frontispiece of two men wrestling. Clearly intended for an upscale audience.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I vote for Principles of Squad Instructions for the Broadsword by A. J. Corbersier, 1869. If not that, then Spalding's Athletic Library, How to Punch the Bag by Young Corbett, 1904.

Thanks.

Fyn

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, looks like Broadsword has won the popularity contest. I'm starting on it today.

:)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The project is going swimmingly well. I hope to be done this week (maybe today if I use my lunch hour). :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kirk, guys like you inspire me. Thanks for making all these old manuals available again. I`m sure it can`t be easy.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite so - I add my voice of thanks to my fellows above.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kirk, guys like you inspire me. Thanks for making all these old manuals available again. I`m sure it can`t be easy.
You're welcome.

"Easy" is such a flexible term. On the one hand, there's nothing particularly complicated about it, when you get down to nuts and bolts. Pretty much anyone could do it. The most complicated part is actually retouching damaged photos. That can be challenging sometimes.

On the other hand, it does require effort. It just don't happen randomly. Anyone could do it, but they'd have to hunt up the manuals, borrowing or buying, scan & retouch photos, transcribe and dbl-check the transcription, electronic "typeset" (including trying to find the closest fonts), then publish, finally, announcing on however many different forums seem appropriate (and will let you).

There's enough effort and little steps involved that I'll be giving a seminar presentation on the process at this year's ISMAC.

So, it's easy in the same way that, for instance, wood working or safely driving a car is easy. No secret skills are involved, just a little effort and practice. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions