What to do if people train too hard

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a little more is in fact MORE than being a complete beginner,

Not when the complete beginner is much bigger, weighs more and is stronger. I have a female friend, she's fought in the UFC as well as on other promotions, she's damn good but a much larger stronger man can hold her down and submit her, so she has to be clever and make sure he doesn't get that hold/technique on her, that she's gets her techniques in first and that's where being little more than a beginner comes in, the OP isn't experienced or knowledgeable enough at this time to avoid being caught.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not when the complete beginner is much bigger, weighs more and is stronger. I have a female friend, she's fought in the UFC as well as on other promotions, she's damn good but a much larger stronger man can hold her down and submit her, so she has to be clever and make sure he doesn't get that hold/technique on her, that she's gets her techniques in first and that's where being little more than a beginner comes in, the OP isn't experienced or knowledgeable enough at this time to avoid being caught.
well if she was stronger she wouldn't have,so much trouble would she. ?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right - my instructor is the bantamweight champ in the nation.

But - it takes a long time to get there, and in the meantime I don't want to suffer any injuries.

As for getting stronger, I already took up crossfit and gained muscle hoping it would help, but ultimately I will never have the same muscle mass as a man.

All martial arts require a certain amount of strength and stamina. But grappling is more about technique. Learn the techniques, then the counters if there are any, while paying attention to what has already been said. Especially about talking to the instructor.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if she was stronger she wouldn't have,so much trouble would she. ?

Not sure who you are talking about, my friend is extremely strong but it doesn't matter how strong you are if you are outsized and outweighed by someone who trains to be strong and/or is naturally strong. That is regardless of gender. Flat jockeys are small but very strong however they wouldn't be able to out grapple a rugby forward so it comes down to techniques to make sure you don't get caught by a bigger person, if you don't know the techniques yet then you will get flattened when the bigger heavier person lies on top of you, they don't even need strength.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure who you are talking about, my friend is extremely strong but it doesn't matter how strong you are if you are outsized and outweighed by someone who trains to be strong and/or is naturally strong. That is regardless of gender. Flat jockeys are small but very strong however they wouldn't be able to out grapple a rugby forward so it comes down to techniques to make sure you don't get caught by a bigger person, if you don't know the techniques yet then you will get flattened when the bigger heavier person lies on top of you, they don't even need strength.
of course it matters, if someone has,a,strengh advantage on you and you make yourself,stronger, they then have less of,an advantage or no advantage at all

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
of course it matters, if someone has,a,strengh advantage on you and you make yourself,stronger, they then have less of,an advantage or no advantage at all

Well that wasn't the point, the point actually being that people who are over a foot taller and several stones heavier than you who also lift weights are always going to have an advantage, you cut the advantage by being faster, more experienced and having better technique, you are never going to rule out their advantage just by 'getting stronger' because if you smaller and weigh less.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that wasn't the point, the point actually being that people who are over a foot taller and several stones heavier than you who also lift weights are always going to have an advantage, you cut the advantage by being faster, more experienced and having better technique, you are never going to rule out their advantage just by 'getting stronger' because if you smaller and weigh less.
strengh has nothing to do with how tall you are or how much you weigh. But if you get stronger they have less advantage. I'm not sure why you are even arguing this, its self evidently true
in the case of the op all we know is the guy was stronger than her, if she increases her strengh he would have less of an advantage, maybe no advantage

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
strengh has nothing to do with how tall you are or how much you weigh. But if you get stronger they have less advantage. I'm not sure why you are even arguing this, its self evidently true
in the case of the op all we know is the guy was stronger than her, if she increases her strengh he would have less of an advantage, maybe no advantage

You are avoiding the point I made about taller heavier people versus small light ones. A six foot, sixteen stone man doesn't have to do much to squash a five foot six stone girl however strong she may be. It's such a pat answer 'get stronger' that avoids actually looking at the facts, being glib doesn't help the OP.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are avoiding the point I made about taller heavier people versus small light ones. A six foot, sixteen stone man doesn't have to do much to squash a five foot six stone girl however strong she may be. It's such a pat answer 'get stronger' that avoids actually looking at the facts, being glib doesn't help the OP.
so clever clogs how tall and how heavy is the op? How tall and heavy was the guy ?Your of on one of you flights of fantasy, inventing scenario to fit your view, five pounds you mention the army in your next ten posts , you've never got future than that,,,,

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so clever clogs how tall and how heavy is the op? How tall and heavy was the guy ?Your of on one of you flights of fantasy, inventing scenario to fit your view, five pounds you mention the army in your next ten posts , you've never got future than that,,,,

Ah deja moo, more BS just because you can't answer my questions. I do wish though you'd actually make sense though, I don't mind intelligently put insults but really ' you never got future than that'? Still you never disappoint, your default position is troll, troll and troll again.
anyway I'm off to watch England ladies beat the French in the Rugby World Cup. Allez Angleterre!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yay, England Rugby ladies beat France so it's New Zealand v England in the Final. USA v France for third and fourth places. :):):):)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Love it...just get stronger. Sound advice.
It's ok when you get hurt. Just makes you stronger.
It's ok when others can physically overwhelm you and you tap but they don't release the hold. Just get stronger.
It's ok when others are physically bigger and stronger than you, don't concern yourself with learning good techniques with good training partners. Just get stronger.
Strength is what you need. Sage advice.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's ok when others can physically overwhelm you and you tap but they don't release the hold. Just get stronger.
It's ok when others are physically bigger and stronger than you, don't concern yourself with learning good techniques with good training partners. Just get stronger.
i didn't say JUST get stronger, but getting stronger is sage,advice for most physical activities, if you are going against people who are bigger and stronger, get stronger and then its only their bigness you have to contend with.

there is a marked anti strengh/ fitness lobby on here who seem to think that weak boys and girls can beat strong boys and girls if they work on their techneque for long enough, well not if the strong boys and girls are also learning the same techniques they won't

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah deja moo, more BS just because you can't answer my questions. I do wish though you'd actually make sense though, I don't mind intelligently put insults but really ' you never got future than that'? Still you never disappoint, your default position is troll, troll and troll again.
anyway I'm off to watch England ladies beat the French in the Rugby World Cup. Allez Angleterre!
really you picking me up on a typo, whilst writing deja moo,

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jobo, you're being a little silly with this. I do BJJ and consider myself a pretty good blue belt and I can usually hang with small male purple belts (the next belt up) and female purple belts simply belt I'm bigger and stronger. Sure, a girl can hit the gym and get more fit but unless she's in like the top .1% of the female population, she will never be stronger than me. I will always have that advantage. I've also rolled with black belts who I have 40+ lbs on that can throw me around like a rag doll. At some point, the skill will overcome the size difference but especially when there is a large disparity it will take years and years of practice to overcome.

I think smashing a small white belt is a dick move. Do I smash the female purple belts? Yeah, they can take it but that white belt is just going to get smashed and have no idea how to deal with it. What did the dude prove? That he can overpower someone much smaller that also is relatively untrained? I don't see the point.

Young males who are new to BJJ can be the worst to roll with. They don't know enough technique and so tend to try to muscle everything.

Original Poster, I think you're just going to have to be more selective about who you roll with and be vocal about what you want. If I want to roll light, I tell the person. If I have an injury, I tell them. It's your training time as much as anyone else's. You can flat out not roll with certain people... I would just be polite about it. I know you don't want to be that person but, trust me, it's okay.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jobo, you're being a little silly with this. I do BJJ and consider myself a pretty good blue belt and I can usually hang with small male purple belts (the next belt up) and female purple belts simply belt I'm bigger and stronger. Sure, a girl can hit the gym and get more fit but unless she's in like the top .1% of the female population, she will never be stronger than me. I will always have that advantage. I've also rolled with black belts who I have 40+ lbs on that can throw me around like a rag doll. At some point, the skill will overcome the size difference but especially when there is a large disparity it will take years and years of practice to overcome.

I think smashing a small white belt is a dick move. Do I smash the female purple belts? Yeah, they can take it but that white belt is just going to get smashed and have no idea how to deal with it. What did the dude prove? That he can overpower someone much smaller that also is relatively untrained? I don't see the point.

Young males who are new to BJJ can be the worst to roll with. They don't know enough technique and so tend to try to muscle everything.
i wouldn't be so sure, females are about 15% down on strengh against a male who trains,as hard as she does. If she trains 15% harder she can match him with ease.
if you are not training specifically for,strengh than a female who does will quite easily be stronger than you.
you should see the weight some of those skinny cross fit girls,are throwing about

Last edited:

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i wouldn't be so sure, females are about 15% down on strengh against a male who trains,as hard as she does. If she trains 15% harder she can match him with ease.
if you are not training specifically for,strengh than a female who does will quite easily be stronger than you.
you should see the weight some of those skinny cross fit girls,are throwing about

I'm not sure where you got that statistic. You can look up pretty much any lifting (one form of measurement of strength) statistic and see a greater than 15% disparity between the two sexes at the same weight. Add in the fact that your average male is 5" taller and 30-40 lbs heavier and that disparity just gets wider and wider.

There gap in strength difference between your average man and woman is huge. As an approx 200 lbs guy with a deadlift of 385ish... it's considered meh/intermediate. A female of my size (let alone the fact that most are much smaller than me) would be elite status lifters.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really you picking me up on a typo, whilst writing deja moo,

You know, I hate explaining jokes....and you said on another thread you had a sense of humour! right... Deja moo, a play on deja vu only it's 'moo' because it's BS, get it?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got that statistic. You can look up pretty much any lifting (one form of measurement of strength) statistic and see a greater than 15% disparity between the two sexes at the same weight. Add in the fact that your average male is 5" taller and 30-40 lbs heavier and that disparity just gets wider and wider.

There gap in strength difference between your average man and woman is huge. As an approx 200 lbs guy with a deadlift of 385ish... it's considered meh/intermediate. A female of my size (let alone the fact that most are much smaller than me) would be elite status lifters.
why does being taller and heavier make them stronger, that's the same nonsense tea was coming out with

Latest Discussions