What to do for broken pinky toe?

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I broke my ring finger toe (the one next to the pinky) a few months ago when I walked into the wall!! It was out at a weird angle and hurt like anything......so I went to Urgent Care and they gave me a really stylish hard-soled shoe to wear for 6 weeks. I later went to my regular doctor who told me they should have buddy taped it. So....the two doctors disagreed on the taping. Mine was broken in two places and a spiral fracture.....so it wasn't pretty. Anyway, since I couldn't pivot on it without pain, I was pretty much out of karate for those 6 weeks......but it took a full 8 weeks before it stopped hurting. Then, I wore karate shoes for another 3 weeks or so to make sure it was protected. Now, it's back to normal. So......do what you can with it without too much pain- don't overwork it......give it time to heal and wear shoes when you can to keep from re-injuring it right away. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.....I know it's not fun!!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HAHAHA!! Yeah, duct tape would work, but wow I dont think I would advise it!

Everyone has said it....tape it. Get some sports tape from your local drug store and tape it securly. Dont cut off blood supply, but get it nice and tight. Thats about it. Stay off it if possible.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
although if you want one of the strongest ankle tapes...i dont advise using duct tape...and if you do use duct tape to help lock a joint ((many people do because of the little give)) first apply either some pre-wrap or athletic tape...not the duct tape fan? then make sure to buy an athletic tape with a high weave ((johnson and johnson is used by most NCAA schools and professional teams although it may be harder to find))...also...pre-wrap is highly discouraged because it pretty much defers the entire purpose of an ankle tape...sorry kind of a rant

theWren

White Belt
Reaction score
I actually just broke my pinky toe today at a judo tourny. Fighting a guy who insanely awesome (beat him too o.- was a fluke)... my pinky toe though, after a throw, was point perpendicular to the other toes. Then the guy threw me, slammed the toe back into the socket. Medic said it was just dislocated, but now, hours later, its puffed up twice its size, and is has some huge purple spots. took some aspirin, and am icing it down now

Latest Discussions