What Style

What CMA do you take ( mulitiple Choices are allowed)

• Praying Mantis ( Northern & Southern )

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Wing Chun

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Eagle Claw

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Hung Gar

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Monkey

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Choy Li Fut

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Tai Chi Chuan

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Pa Kwa

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • White Crane

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Other ( please list what style in your post )

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I am beginning Chuan Fa; but, my sifu states all the forms are Hung Gar.

I've also studied TKD

Hmmm

Chuan Fa but all the forms are Hung Gar?????

That's a bit strange ,but it could be any reason why he'd do it that way.

The only one i can think of is he doesn't have permission to use his Hung Gar lineage ,but is authorised to teach what he knows.

jeff:)

OP
R

RHD

OnlyAnEgg said:
I am beginning Chuan Fa; but, my sifu states all the forms are Hung Gar.

I've also studied TKD

Welcome, keep us posted on your training.

Mike

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Tiger Fist said:
Hmmm

Chuan Fa but all the forms are Hung Gar?????

That's a bit strange ,but it could be any reason why he'd do it that way.

The only one i can think of is he doesn't have permission to use his Hung Gar lineage ,but is authorised to teach what he knows.

jeff:)
I'm going to ask him this afternoon, after work. Meanwhile, my research has turned up the usage of the term 'Chuan Fa' as almost generic term for 'Fist Arts' (or Kenpo, yes?). Almost all the histories I've read, so far, trace it's origins back to the Bodhidharma; consequently connecting it to Shaolin.

Alternately, I have also seen Chuan Fa described as a discipline unto itself.

I look forward to hearing Mr. Taylor's explanation.

jim

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only time I've heard "Chuan Fa" used was by Okinawan/Japanese arts to describe Chinese arts & the Kenpo arts. Most Chinese I know use literally "kung fu" or "wu shu". In China I never heard Chuan Fa.

Bodhidharma/Shaolin .... that's a can of worms by itself...

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Bodhidharma/Shaolin .... that's a can of worms by itself...
True enough. I don't mean to interject myself into that controversy, I only posted what I'd found out yonder in the great, dark, internet.

I will let you know what the man, himself, says a bit later.

OP
T

te75uo

I study Shaolin Do Kung Fu under Master Jim Mooney.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
te75uo said:
I study Shaolin Do Kung Fu under Master Jim Mooney.
Welcome to the boards, "te75uo". Glad to have you here, there are alot of really knowledgeable people here and some very good discussions and information. Look around, read some old threads, use the search feature, and join in any new threads you like.

I'm looking forward to reading posts from you.

- MT Mod -
Adam C
7starmantis

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Persuant to post #45 in this thread, I stopped and chatted for a few with Mr. Taylor about his teaching style.

It is, in fact, Sifu James Ibrao's Five Forms To Black that is being taught, as well as self-defence and weapons sets.

I found this in another thread:
KENPOJOE said:
Hi Folks!

I have seen "The Belt" series of forms [the 5 forms to black belt] They are all old hung gar based or composite kung fu forms that have been incorporated into some kenpo systems [such as Tracy's] I have met Mr. Ibrao at both of the "Gathering of the Eagles" in Las Vegas and I have seen his "Tiger and Crane set" seminar!

I was asked by a local black belt from new england if i could go over the first form with him and "fill in the blanks". I found the form to be a conglomeration of nothern and southern shaolin,praying mantis, and hung gar kung fu.

The forms include book set [or panther set] Tiger and crane, among others,although these are the alleged original sets [though i've seen different variations] These were taught to James Ibrao from Jimmy wing woo.

BEGOOD,

KENPOJOE

So, in the context of this poll, I should have selected 'Other', perhaps? I dunno. After all, I am only an egg.

My 6 1/2 year old stepson and 11 yo stepdaughter and I begin training in January. I will be happy to provide information on this system, if you wanna hear it :)

Be well,

jim

OP
T

Trainwreck

Shaolin internal and external arts. Also dabbled a bit in Hung Sing Choy Le Fut, which worked my legs in a way that I hadn't thought possible.

OP
R

rox

The style I pratice now is confusing in origin and I don't like some stuff on it(though I love some other), but it's the only CMA here in my small town. This year I'll probably be moving to a bigger city, and I'll start Wing Chun and/or 7*Praying Mantis, but I'll keep doing what I do now.

The style is called Fei Lung Sin, it's a modern art based mostly on Chinese Martial Arts, but nobody knows the lineage, not even my instructors. The teacher is not currently here, so I cannot ask him, also. One of the instructors said me it has influences from Northern Shaolin, Muay Thai and Ninjutsu. But mostly Shaolin. In the green belt(4th level), there are some hand techniques from many styles, like mantis, crane and palm, but I didn't reach it yet :D

OP
F

funnytiger

Been training in Jow Ga Kung Fu in Columbia, Maryland under Sifu Derek Johnson for about 2 years now.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Jow Ga people here, where ya'll at??

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
I studied Pa Kua for a while and have tried Tai Chi a few tmes. I don't think I have the patience for either style, yet. Maybe when I get the aggressiveness - hard style - out of me I will be ready for a softer internal style.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-There have been many discussions about the individual's journey through the ma's, beit going from internal to external, vice-versa, one or the other, whatever. As long as your happy with your training, it doesn't really matter. A person should be able to tell when they're ready for a change, such as moving from external to internal, for example. Of course, any art that has a mix of both is nice. Decisions such as these are far away in the future for me. I don't get to class enough as it is to enjoy what I do have. But I have been looking more into the internal side of life, and in the future, that may lead to training in an internal art. Who knows?

A---)

OP
F

Fumanchu

Kenpoist

Pa Kua and tai chu are 2 very aggressive styles much more so than say kick boxing or karate (if that's what you consider to be hard styles)

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I studied Pakua and started to learn the Pakua Jian before having to quit because of work obligations.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I study Wing Chun Gung Fu because of:

a) Its scientific approach to the art of the fight

b) Its ability in the in-fight

c) Its structural as opposed to muscular form

d) Its naturalness

These are just some of the reasons why I have chosen WC and will stick to it until I draw my last breath.

OP
P

pekho

I study a kuntao style descended from Shaolin styles. The central style of our school is white crane, but there are many others.

Josh

OP
C

Crom

I study Hung Kuen (another name for hung gar), mostly because its locally available. There are other MAs in my area but i wanted to study a CMA, guess it all goes back to watchin kung fu movies as a kid but now i'mj gettin into it the power and variet of the system are gonna keep me here.

Latest Discussions