What style you train in?

ksmaguro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Catching up on this thread...
I study Pencak Silat Pertempuran via Guru Sean Stark www.combat-silat.net and Pencak Silat Zulfikari via Guru Mushtaq Ali Shah. I am eager to see what the "new look" will be like for the system.
I met Bill and Buzz at the Fall Gathering at Chuck's and we all had a fun time. Buzz kept us up to the wee hours with some reat stories! Mushtaq double checked a few things with my Zulfikari to make sure it was kosher. I caught glimpses of where it may go, but am waiting. patiently. I would like to have Mushtaq back here again sometime.
Take care,
Jay

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Catching up on this thread...
I study Pencak Silat Pertempuran via Guru Sean Stark www.combat-silat.net and Pencak Silat Zulfikari via Guru Mushtaq Ali Shah. I am eager to see what the "new look" will be like for the system.
I met Bill and Buzz at the Fall Gathering at Chuck's and we all had a fun time. Buzz kept us up to the wee hours with some reat stories! Mushtaq double checked a few things with my Zulfikari to make sure it was kosher. I caught glimpses of where it may go, but am waiting. patiently. I would like to have Mushtaq back here again sometime.
Take care,
Jay
Was nice to see you at the fall gathering, I too had a lot of fun. Still trying to convice Carl that there is more to the martial arts than just what is seen. As in felt and emitted. One of these days he may come around- or is it just an act to milk more out of us?
Whatever- I am glad that there are more people at the gathering each time. This alloows for more accumulation of friends and knowledge.
Guro Buzz

ksmaguro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Selamat Buzz-
I think Carl is just using us and understands a lot more than he leads on. He does ask some great questions though!
I have always enjoyed visiting Chuck and family and look forward to the next time I am able to hang out.
Jay

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Selamat Buzz-
I think Carl is just using us and understands a lot more than he leads on. He does ask some great questions though!
I have always enjoyed visiting Chuck and family and look forward to the next time I am able to hang out.
Jay
He not so dumb eh?

Yeah, I think he was playing the dunce just to watch us struggle to explain stuff. Oh well, if it works for him, so be it. I still think he was baffled by the moving without touching thing

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Jay! Mushtaq is out here for about a week and a half. We should have the first two videos in the can by the time he leaves.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Todd, I understand that Mushtaq has some ideas for me and my polymyalgia condition. Could you have him email me with his ideas. [email protected] I have been on steroids for 3 months.
Thanks

ksmaguro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Todd-
Have fun hangin' with Mushtaq and the crew. Tell him hi! I can't wait to see those new vids! Wish I was there, but know it was not in the cards!?Hey come visit me sometime is sunny iowhey!

Buzz-
Carl likes to push buttons and I think you certainly did get his mind going on a feedback loop with the moving without touching! I still like telling people about your cat kata!

Wali

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just joined this forum and it's great. It's good to see a good mix of different silat styles communicating without a lot of the usual nonsense that we see elsewhere.

I train in Walisongo silat in the UK, under Steve Benitez. It is a system which is composed of several different arts. The basis of which, if you go back far enough are rooted in the Vedic Satria arts.

The ground arts it emcompasses are the Kucin (Cat), Harimau (Tiger), Buaya (Crocodile) and Kura-Kura (Turtle). Upright we have the usual langhkas, hands drills etc... as well as Garik-Garek, which is a form of upright wrestling. This is combined with Penjang Gulat.

We then progress onto the Pukulan, which combines all of the above, but with rapi-fire striking. We hit in a series of 6-12 strikes minimum.

Further on, weapons are introduced, initially the pisau (knife).

All the teachings are brought together in the kembagang, The Flower Dance.

Hope to have some good conversations with you all.

Cheers,
Wali

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There have been a few people joining Martial Talk, other than me, that enjoy the agony of Silat training :D :D :D

What style of Silat do you train in? What do you think of your training so far?

Agony? It isn't that bad, is it? Well, actually, this morning we practised the pasang rendah and I think I won't be able to walk tomorrow - but isn't that something which occurs in all Martial Arts? :p

I train in Pencak Silat Setia Hati. My teacher is Louis Fraanje. I don't know enough about the style yet to tell you about it, but I hope everyone knows this style? I was told that it is a quite complete style etc. so maybe there are more people who train Setia Hati.

By the way, is there a difference between the words Pencak Silat and 'just' Silat? On all English forums about Martial Arts I've visited (Budoseek and this one) they always say Silat but on the only Dutch forum about Pencak Silat, they always say Pencak Silat. So, is it just a difference in how do you call that, naming, or does it have something to do with styles?

Well, I think that training is great. I really enjoy it and I really want to get good at it. I don't really know why I like it so much... It's not really that I want to learn how to defend myself, I just like it because... it's fun (or something).

The only thing that I find difficult is the fact that progress isn't really linear. In some martial arts, you try to achieve ranks - it's all very clear when you'll progress to the next one, what you'll have to know etc, but my teacher doesn't really emphasize things like ranks or exams, you just accumulate knowledge and practise things and slowly get better at it, but (apparently) it isn't 'measurable' or something. Sometimes there are exams, but they aren't extremely important since they apparently forgot to have them last year :(. So I really don't know what my level is and what it takes to be really good at Pencak Silat, and sometimes I can get a little impatient about it.
However, I respect my teacher very much so I am a little too cowardly to ask him about it...

I just joined this forum and it's great. It's good to see a good mix of different silat styles communicating without a lot of the usual nonsense that we see elsewhere
I agree! I don't understand half of the nonsense about different styles, but I'm very glad that it isn't present on this forum ;).

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh Lord, do I ever. At some point you have to laugh if you don't want to cry.

Just to be clear and avoid confusion, I think that Willem de Thouars has amazing skills and, if anything, too much knowledge to pass on to those of us without his gifts.

I swear, if we could stop fighting among ourselves we'd rule the universe.

I don't know a thing about your art(s) so apologies to all on this thread (Carol piqued my interest with the clips a few days ago, and I've been trying to learn a little as there's time); but an observation: if you substituted 'Jimmy Woo' for Willem de Thouars (of whom, of course, I do know), you could almost use this post verbatim for Kung Fu San Soo. Can't we all just get along? No, didn't think so.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know a thing about your art(s) so apologies to all on this thread (Carol piqued my interest with the clips a few days ago, and I've been trying to learn a little as there's time); but an observation: if you substituted 'Jimmy Woo' for Willem de Thouars (of whom, of course, I do know), you could almost use this post verbatim for Kung Fu San Soo. Can't we all just get along? No, didn't think so.

Kidswarrior, I sure hope I have a chance before too long to sit down with you with a strong drink or two and swap stories. No fighting though, unless its on the mat ;)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kidswarrior, I sure hope I have a chance before too long to sit down with you with a strong drink or two and swap stories. No fighting though, unless its on the mat ;)

It'll happen. All good things come with time. :ultracool

Silat Junkie

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello All;

I guess my account got recycled, dumped, wiped clean because I couldn't log in. I do remember getting notice, but I rarely have a bunch of spare time to try and get on the various boards out there.

I am familiar with some of the members of this board like tellner.

What styles I have trained in:

Pencak Silat Raja Sterlak
Pencak Silat Pamur
Pencak Silat Raja Monyet
Pencak Silat Madura - Keluarga (there is no name for this art that I know of. It is a family system from Madura.)
Seni Bela Diri Silat Jati Wisesa
Pencak Silat Sera
Pencak Silat Batak
Pencak Silat Zulfikari (original version maybe?)
Pencak Silat Paseban Mutakhir
Pencak Silat Mande Muda

I have listed these in the order that seems to most closely represent the amount of time that I have trained in these systems. Not necessarily in years but actual training time. Near the bottom of the list, it's not very long at all.

I like to list them all because I have learned something from all of these arts/teachers, that I have ultimately used - some with modification - some directly.

The arts that I continue to study to varying degrees are:
Raja Sterlak, Pamur, Monyet, Madura Keluarga and occasionally I go through a portion of the jurus Seni Bela Diri Silat Jati Wisesa.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to go through all of these arts with any regularity so I primarily do Pamur and Madura Keluarga at this time and work in maintenance mode on the rest. The other ones not listed twice - I really don't train in any more.

From these, what I primarily train daily, is Pencak Silat Pertempuran. This is a system that utilizes aspects of all of these other systems to various degrees. From PSP or Pencak Silat Pertempuran I continue to focus my growth. This system is organized for learning attributes of pencak silat but can be very organic for those so inclined. It contains a system of numbering which can be put together like puzzle pieces to adapt to the changing nature of combat.

Some of what you'll see in it is new, at least in structure, and if you've been around for awhile, a lot of what you'll see is not new. Unfortunately, this causes some people to overlook the art because they recognize the pieces. This is a shallow perspective because the pieces aren't the totality. It is the WAY the pieces fit together and the way you can develop attributes of pencak silat movement, adaptability, and ultimately combative skill that makes PSP unique.

For most people, PSP is not understood until it is felt. I believe someone else stated that in this thread - or perhaps another - in any case, the books I've written and the DVD's I've created are testimony to this. I don't mean from a pain perspective necessarily, but the intent of the movements are often misunderstood until a person trains with me personally - then they get excited.

It is my goal as a teacher and as an organization to bring a deeper view of pencak silat to the western audience.

FYI, I was involved with the early years of the gathering of the tribes in Michigan and I would recommend going. Mushtaq is a great guy and you will learn stuff. I haven't been there for 3 years (I think) because I moved to Florida and have been trying to recover from a financial set back, but it was my intent to get back this year. Unfortunately, that weekend I have a seminar in San Diego and we are in the process of buying a house. Perhaps next year will be better...

Hormat saya,
Sean

www.silat.us

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We incorporate silat into our training, or at least I should say my instructor does. I myself cannot draw a line between particular techniques to say this is that or this is this, but we learn a lot of principals first. Which I love, coming from a technique based school. Our Silat comes by way of Cliff Stewart to my teacher Darrell Sarjeant, we also mix a little African martial art (sadiq) with the phillipino, and the vee-jitsu. Sometimes I wish I can hold all that information in. It's good stuff. Silat is hard to find.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey all nice to see alot of silat lovers, here my list.

sendeng
cimande
gayung
gerak kilat
pulut

my primary art is silat sendeng, but i have practise and learn to some extend the other i have stated. i have been doing it since i was 10 i think starting learning from my neighbour and usually we practise at night wore black with red sash. and also learn some move from my granddad and father( mainly silat pulut and silat jawa).

ksmaguro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We incorporate silat into our training, or at least I should say my instructor does. I myself cannot draw a line between particular techniques to say this is that or this is this, but we learn a lot of principals first. Which I love, coming from a technique based school. Our Silat comes by way of Cliff Stewart to my teacher Darrell Sarjeant, we also mix a little African martial art (sadiq) with the phillipino, and the vee-jitsu. Sometimes I wish I can hold all that information in. It's good stuff. Silat is hard to find.
Selamat-
Are you in Oklahoma City? Know a guy from Lawton named Carl? He could show you some Silat Zulfikari as well as share some interesting insights into the martial arts world at large.
Take care,
Jay

Latest Discussions