What style would be best for me?

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm looking to start up martial arts and I was wondering if you all can help me with choosing what style will be best for me as a noob. A bit about myself. I'm a 40 year old man. I've been interested in martial arts for many years but never got to study like I've wanted to (I took some lessons here and there in my life but something always came up that made me have to stop).

There are a few things that has made me consider getting into martial arts on a regular basis as of late. Self defense (we live in a crazy world where attacks on people are happening all the time), getting in better shape (staying active while learning a useful skill instead of pumping weights or running on a tredmill).

I have some health problems to consider. My low back gives me pain from time to time from an old injury. I also take blood thinners for blood clots. And I deal with some wrist tendon pain but its not extreme.

So what style of martial art would you all recommend for me? Thanks!

I suggest you take American Kenpo karate its a awesome martial arts

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The most convenient (finance, place and time) martial arts place is where you should attend. The fitness part and your proficiency in said martial art is largely dependent on yourself. Even so, if you live in a dangerous area and it's legal, please carry a gun.

I would suggest Brazilian jiu-jitsu first.
A) It will get you fit. Rolling is grueling if done for long periods of time.
B) You don't have to hurt anyone when fighting = no legal trouble.
C) Superbly effective against the average John (or Juan).

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
It just dawned on me: this question gets asked so much, and the answers always seem to be the same...could we make a sticky/pinned thread that gives all the most common answers to this most common question?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks all!

The schools in my area offer bjj, muay thai, aikido, boxing and judo. All are different schools.

With this list the bloodthirsty issue comes full on. After you talk to you doctor definitely check to see how the Muay Thai and Boxing gyms train. As an example, if the doctor gives a thumbs up there are two Muay Thai places near me. One eventually does sparring a lot (not light sparring, they use head gear etc), the other doesn't spar like that. Boxing gyms can be the same. I would be nervous doing full sparring with the blood thinners. The bruising can be a lot worse, bloody noses are REALLY bloody etc. Other than that one question everything seems to rest on the Doc's okay.

Oh one other thing, what school of Aikido does your local place teach? There are many ;).

Druid

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm looking to start up martial arts and I was wondering if you all can help me with choosing what style will be best for me as a noob. A bit about myself. I'm a 40 year old man. I've been interested in martial arts for many years but never got to study like I've wanted to (I took some lessons here and there in my life but something always came up that made me have to stop).

There are a few things that has made me consider getting into martial arts on a regular basis as of late. Self defense (we live in a crazy world where attacks on people are happening all the time), getting in better shape (staying active while learning a useful skill instead of pumping weights or running on a tredmill).

I have some health problems to consider. My low back gives me pain from time to time from an old injury. I also take blood thinners for blood clots. And I deal with some wrist tendon pain but its not extreme.

So what style of martial art would you all recommend for me? Thanks!

I'm a little late to the party in replying but I'm putting on my professional hat for a moment (I work in the medical field) to say you absolutely have to be cleared by your doctor before considering any contact sport if you're on blood thinners. I don't know which one/what dose your on, but I have seen people die from brain bleeds caused by falls from the standing position while on blood thinners. Doing any sport that potentially involves getting hit in the head or striking your head on a surface could kill you. And that pretty much describes all martial arts. Even in a BJJ club that doesn't use standing take downs I can see a possibility of accidentally hitting your head hard on the floor or even a wall while rolling.

In any case I don't have any suggestions other than to say, speak to your doctor and expect not to get the answer you want. My guess they aren't going to give you the go a head for any contact sport while on blood thinners. BTW when you say "blood thinner" I assume you mean coumadin/warfarin or the newer anticoagulants like xarelto. If you're talking about aspirin (especially 81MG), while I would still say to speak with your doctor, the answer might be more to your liking.

Latest Discussions