What style is this?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes before anyone says it, I am grumpy because I'm really fed up with the way people post then make comments about other people and their styles. It's happening more and more and it's impolite to say the least not to mention bloody boring. Just why add snide remarks about any style, it's not on. :(:(:(

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And yes before anyone says it, I am grumpy because I'm really fed up with the way people post then make comments about other people and their styles. It's happening more and more and it's impolite to say the least not to mention bloody boring. Just why add snide remarks about any style, it's not on. :(:(:(

So - on a thread bashing a legitimate style.. your criticism is reserved for the one line of my post laughing at those who have been critical from a place of ignorance... makes sense.

Perhaps you need some lessons in reading comprehension mate - you are reading things into what I said that are just not there. That line says nothing critical of mma, which I love. It says that people these days often seem limited in their understanding of MA. And yes - I casually threw a joke in there attributing this to the popularity of the ufc among the young.

Odd that after half a dozen posts calling a legit art a "comedy spoof," a "dance routine," "a joke" etc - you single my post out, where I'm explaining what it actually is.. as "snide" and "impolite".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So - on a thread bashing a legitimate style..

Style bashing is not allowed here. It's one of MT's rules.

It says that people these days often seem limited in their understanding of MA. And yes - I casually threw a joke in there attributing this to the popularity of the ufc among the young.

A joke? Yep, people always say that after they've been called out after making a remark like yours. You actually said MMA people not 'people' and I'm not your mate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1.10.3 No Individual Bashing / Fraud Busting.

It is not our mission to out and expose frauds or decide who "sucks". Such discussions rarely lead anywhere other than to headaches, and lawsuits.

4.16 Official Policy on Fraud Busting and Credential Verification.

4.16.1 Fraud Busting

Due to its nature, this forum encourages the asking and answering of questions. Many times one member will have questions and concerns about the history, skills, lineage, or paperwork of another member. In other cases, things may be stated on a webpage, flyer or article relating to a member that raises some questions. Sometimes, comments will have been made elsewhere and those issues carried over to MartialTalk.

MartialTalk and its staff encourage the polite and professional search for knowledge. Questions and concerns may be brought up, with the understanding that the other party is under no requirement to answer.

Most questions may be raised within the forums dedicated to a particular art or area of interest. For example, Kenpo Lineage questions in the Kenpo forum, are fine. Others of a more serious note, are to be limited to the The Great Debate forum.

Excessive "Inquisitor-style" questioning is not allowed and will be subject to administrative action. If you have had to ask a question more than 3 times, you are most likely running the risk of excessive.

In addition, Hot Pursuit actions will not be tolerated. The Hot Pursuit is defined as asking the same or similar questions in multiple threads and / or forums.

Members who become excessively obsessed, inquisitive or interrogative, will be subject to administrative action. Members who are involved in excessive arguments that disrupt the forum, may be subject to administrative action due to the disruption of the normal operation of this forum

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Style bashing is not allowed here. It's one of MT's rules.

A joke? Yep, people always say that after they've been called out after making a remark like yours. You actually said MMA people not 'people' and I'm not your mate.

No, I actually didn't. I said people.

Again - you need to work on your reading comprehension.

If not "style bashing" - how would you characterise the first 7 posts of this thread - you know, the ones I cited earlier, describing a legit style as "a combination of river dance and epilepsy," "comedy routine," "a spoof," some weird karate right there its funny hahahahahhahahaa"???

And again I'll ask - if you are "grumpy because I'm really fed up with the way people post then make comments about other people and their styles" ... why jump on me - when I have literally not made a single comment about "people and their styles" - and this thread is ENTIRELY about "comments about people and their styles".. made by other folks.

Do you have some problem with me? FWIW, I'm Australian, we often use 'mate' in an informal manner. Not sure why you're being hostile over something you've completely imagined, but fine, consider us "not mates."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of people think if it doesn't look like mma it's not martial arts. Kids and the ufc i guess

Really? and you are telling me that you aren't getting at MMA people? who else would you have meant :rolleyes: It's not my reading comprehension that's at fault at all. And the 'kids and UFC' remark? It was a dig at MMA people, and the whole thread is style bashing, you even said so

Do you have some problem with me? FWIW, I'm Australian, we often use 'mate' in an informal manner. Not sure why you're being hostile over something you've completely imagined, but fine, consider us "not mates."

You're Australian.... and? I don't have a problem with you in particular and I'm not hostile, as I said I'm fed up with this thing where people feel they have to post up other people's martial arts and laugh at them. I'm not the only one either, I just say it.

The thread will be locked soon anyway.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Really? and you are telling me that you aren't getting at MMA people? who else would you have meant :rolleyes: It's not my reading comprehension that's at fault at all. And the 'kids and UFC' remark? It was a dig at MMA people, and the whole thread is style bashing, you even said so

Yes, that's what I'm telling you. Repeatedly. Who else would I have meant? The people commenting in this thread, perhaps? (who I note AREN'T [mostly, from what I can see] 'mma people'). And the 'kids and the ufc' remark.. as I explained.. was me making a quip that perhaps what I described can be attributed to the popularity of the ufc among kids.

Tez - really, I'm not sure how many different ways I can point out that you have completely misread what I wrote (and I do know what I wrote - I wrote it). And yes - the thread is about style bashing - just NOT mma.

You're Australian.... and? I don't have a problem with you in particular and I'm not hostile, as I said I'm fed up with this thing where people feel they have to post up other people's martial arts and laugh at them. I'm not the only one either, I just say it.

The thread will be locked soon anyway.

I'm Australian ... and... as I explained - that means when I used the term 'mate' I did not use it in any formal way. Again this is something I directly explained to you - hence my comments about reading comrehension. Telling me "I'm not your mate" is hostile.

AND AGAIN - as I said - IF you're "fed up with this thing where people feel they have to post up other people's martial arts and laugh at them" - why have none of your comments on this thread been directed at those who did what you are "fed up with" - instead having a go at me, when I was expressing the exact same sentiment you are???? It's so strange I'd almost just assume you're trolling, if you weren't a long term member here.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This.

Lots of people think if it doesn't look like mma it's not martial arts. Kids and the ufc i guess.

Yagyu Shingan ryu is an armoured battlefield system, focused on grappling, but includes many weapons.

These are movements designed to dislodge an armoured samurai, who is gripping your armour.

Many training techniques in koryu are 'hidden in plain sight' like this - they also have a throw wherein the uke does a (seemingly supported) backflip. The application is actually to dump uke straight on the top of his head. In order to keep training partners.. well.. alive, they don't. Looks weird, but is just training for something other than mano-e-mano-speedo-cage-fighto.
"...mano-e-mano-speedo-cage-fighto."
So you can make disparaging type remarks like this. And reference "Lots of people think if it doesn't look like mma it's not martial arts." Then actually make clear you are referencing those people would be "Kids and the ufc (those who have ufc type of martial training or whatever) i guess."

So this is a specific type of training? Great...I really took it as a spoof.

What do you really think of the training high level MMA fighters go through to prepare for a contest?

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What are you even talking about?

That line says nothing critical of mma, which I love. It says that people these days often seem limited in their understanding of MA. And yes - I casually threw a joke in there attributing this to the popularity of the ufc among the young.

What is disparaging? ufc fighters fight one-on-one (mano-e-mano) and often wear speedo type shorts. They fight(o) in a cage(o). If you think there's something wrong with that, that's on you.

the 'kids and the ufc' remark.. as I explained.. was me making a quip that perhaps what I described can be attributed to the popularity of the ufc among kids.

I think high level mma fighters are some of the most impressive, well rounded athletes on the planet.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't care by the way considering I am a spedo wearing cage fighter.

They are my big boy speedos.

You don't have to like MMA if you don't want to.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Telling me "I'm not your mate" is hostile.

When someone uses the word like 'mate' in a post it comes across as either patronising or sarcastic, it's not the same as when you are speaking it. There are no tones of voice or body language to indicate that you are using it in a 'friendly' matter. The same with so called jokes, whether you mean it or not your 'joke' wasn't a joke. You specifically mentioned MMA, children and the UFC. Not young people btw, children. Your words meant one thing in your head but when you put them into the post came out as something totally different, it came across as MMA bashing whether you meant it or not.
Oh and they aren't 'UFC' fighters, you know that right? There are MMA fighters, if you love the sport so much you know that.

They are my big boy speedos.

What are you telling us? :eek::eek::D

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good stuff Tez. Way to completely ignore every single thing I've written.

MMA fighters who fight in the UFC are not UFC fighters?

Christ, this forum seems to be populated with illiterate clowns. All the best though, mate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff Tez. Way to completely ignore every single thing I've written.

MMA fighters who fight in the UFC are not UFC fighters?

Christ, this forum seems to be populated with illiterate clowns. All the best though, mate.

Again you don't seem to understand that what's in your head and what you write down don't agree. There is a common thing these days among the fanboys to call all MMA 'UFC' as in 'der I fight UFC you know', well no, you don't. Calling all MMA UFC is what fanboys do, fighters and supporters will tell you they fight in MMA. We've worked long and hard to try and get rid of the 'cage fighting equals human cock fighting' stigma, we are trying hard to get rid of the image 'cage fighters' being big brainless chumps bashing each other, supporters know this and when you go on about the UFC as if it was the only promotion out there you are doing MMA a disservice. All those small promotions at grass roots level don't want people tying them in with the UFC ( for one thing the UFC is very quick to sue if you use 'UFC' in your publicity etc) the sport is MMA (you are being divisive when you say that those in the UFC competitions are doing MMA). While the UFC is the richest promotion out there it's far from actually being the only one with good matchups. Around the world there are many good shows, again though fanboys assume that only the UFC is the pinnacle of success, hence the use of 'UFC' for MMA. It's a shame you can't see that and insist of insulting people here, no, the site isn't full of illiterate clowns. It's a place for polite discussion of martial arts not slagging off other styles and then calling people names. Read the rules again.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Again you don't seem to understand that what's in your head and what you write down don't agree. There is a common thing these days among the fanboys to call all MMA 'UFC' as in 'der I fight UFC you know', well no, you don't. Calling all MMA UFC is what fanboys do

No - the reason I've called you an illiterate clown is because what you are attributing to me, and what I've written "don't agree".

Can you quote where I have written anything you've accused me of saying?

Where did I call MMA UFC?

Done wasting my time on this. The thread speaks for itself; I posted to actually inform folks about what it was they were bashing, and in doing so noted that "some people think if it doesn't look like MMA it isn't martial arts." That IS NOT an attack on MMA. It says nothing about MMA, other than some people equate it exclusively with martial arts, and are ignorant of the wider picture. I jokingly attributed this to "kids and the UFC I guess". Again - NOT an attack on MMA, not a criticism of MMA. In fact - a criticism of MMA 'fanboys' as you put it. What part of that is not computing for you?

You have wasted a page of this thread haranguing me due to your inability to read. I have spent a page explaining again and again that you have simply misread my post, and are completely misguided in what you are saying.

If you want to accuse me of saying something - maybe quote where I've said it?

AND AGAIN - as I said - IF you're "fed up with this thing where people feel they have to post up other people's martial arts and laugh at them" - why have none of your comments on this thread been directed at those who did what you are "fed up with" - instead having a go at me, when I was expressing the exact same sentiment you are???? It's so strange I'd almost just assume you're trolling, if you weren't a long term member here.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are you even talking about?
I'm talking about your statement: "Lots of people think if it doesn't look like mma it's not martial arts. Kids and the ufc i guess." comes off as you are calling those who misinterpret what is really a martial art kids and the ufc. Ok you have explained you meant it as a joke. I can accept your explanation, can you see that your wording came off differently?

What is disparaging? ufc fighters fight one-on-one (mano-e-mano) and often wear speedo type shorts. They fight(o) in a cage(o). If you think there's something wrong with that, that's on you.
A continuation of the the above.
Are you attempting to communicate, then it is on you to word or state in a manner others understand your meaning.

I think high level mma fighters are some of the most impressive, well rounded athletes on the planet.
This is well communicated.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm talking about your statement: "Lots of people think if it doesn't look like mma it's not martial arts. Kids and the ufc i guess." comes off as you are calling those who misinterpret what is really a martial art kids and the ufc.

You think that statement comes off as if I'm calling someone kids and the ufc? Calling people 'the ufc'?

I'll ask again - what are you even talking about?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think that statement comes off as if I'm calling someone kids and the ufc? Calling people 'the ufc'?

I haven't misquoted you, and what you wrote exactly means what we are reading it as. As I said you obviously don't realise and didn't mean it to sound like this but it does. The 'fight(o)' and 'cage (o)' don't mean anything to us, really don't know what you were trying to say there. You did though use the expression 'UFC fighters' though meaning 'MMA fighters' unless of course you think there are no other promotions than the UFC? As I said it's fanboy wording,

What you think is illiteracy is in fact a desire to make things clear, wording, as I said before, when you have no other clues such as tone of voice, facial expressions or body language is quite a hard thing to go by. You say you made a joke but there was nothing to indicate that it was, so in fact it wasn't a joke. You wrote a sentence that sounds like you are disparaging MMA people and then you write another sentence 'Kids and the UFC'. It makes little sense without any explanation, you of course know what you meant to write and have the context we don't so we take it at face value which it seems to have a different meaning to the one you intended.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Opps… I actually wrote more than that. Was on my phone, not certain why all of it wasn’t posted. ???
I did reword some of it prior to posting I obviously did something wrong.

What my intended post was:
Kids and the ufc i guess." comes off as you are calling those who misinterpret what is really a martial art kids. And” the ufc” is referring as well to those in the ufc or ufc type organizations in the same vein as kids.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are movements designed to dislodge anarmoured samurai, who is gripping your armour

Really? It seems unlikely someone would be able to do any of that while grappling, and puzzling as to what the effect is supposed to be.

You have any media showing this being used in practice?