what size is good for combat

blackswordshinobi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use 27 inch ninjato some time 28 inch in old day these commen size for ninjto what size you choes for combat!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting expose on the fallacy of the "Hollywood Ninja Sword"
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/ninja-swords.html

The second most common style of Ninja swords are the straight bladed Chokuto style ‘Hollywood’ Swords.
The actual historical accuracy of these swords is very doubtful to say the least.
(There are no actual antique swords of this style and it is generally believed that the design is a modern invention of martial arts master Stephen K. Hayes).

But, fantasy swords aside, I'd go with a good 20-24" wakizashi, Hanwei or Paul Chen.
2 of them.

A full length katana is nice on an open battlefield, but try fighting inside a building with one. Smaller blade means more maneuverability, less chance of getting hung up on doorways.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
But, fantasy swords aside, I'd go with a good 20-24" wakizashi, Hanwei or Paul Chen.
2 of them.

A full length katana is nice on an open battlefield, but try fighting inside a building with one. Smaller blade means more maneuverability, less chance of getting hung up on doorways.

Out of curiosity, why 2 of them? Personally I'd much rather just have the one, it leaves your other hand free to grab, punch and do all sorts of fun things ;)

Jameswhelan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why 2 of them?

Nito kodachi is not unknown in bugei. You see it in Yagyu Shingan ryu. Yamato Yoshin ryu has some very dynamic nito kodachi katas in continuation, if I'm not mistaken, of ideas from Takagi ryu daisho sabaki.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why 2 of them? Personally I'd much rather just have the one, it leaves your other hand free to grab, punch and do all sorts of fun things ;)

Blame it on my FMA training, as well as my being a geek. 'Always have a backup'. :)

OP
blackswordshinobi

blackswordshinobi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
will my wakizashi, is 28 inch this second ninjto my real ninjato is not all striegth 3 33 meter slint crver but two sword together fight that be school of two sword nito ryui dig youll awsure

Last edited:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm with Sanke on this one. I like to leave one had free. Might be I want to throw shuriken at the guy first then stab or slash.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
will my wakizashi, is 28 inch this second ninjto my real ninjato is not all striegth 3 33 meter slint crver but two sword together fight that be school of two sword nito ryui dig youll awsure

Billy, thank you for working on the spelling, this is better. Could you reread and correct the grammar a bit more before posting too? This is still a little hard to follow. I think you are saying you have a 28 inch wakizashi and a 33 inch ninjato?
I would just like to be sure I'm understanding you properly.

Thank you.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One would think that a shorter sword would also better fit the ninja's reputation for stealth. Smaller is easier to conceal.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nito kodachi is not unknown in bugei. You see it in Yagyu Shingan ryu. Yamato Yoshin ryu has some very dynamic nito kodachi katas in continuation, if I'm not mistaken, of ideas from Takagi ryu daisho sabaki.

Really? Now that I would love to see! Don't suppose there's any footage out there?

Blame it on my FMA training, as well as my being a geek. 'Always have a backup'. :)

Ah, that explains it :) though with my background I'd probably throw the first one and move in, haha.

Sanke on the move.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
One would think that a shorter sword would also better fit the ninja's reputation for stealth. Smaller is easier to conceal.

I imagine it would depend largely on the time period, mission and social status of the ninja in question. Many ninja were samurai in rank, so carrying a daisho wouldn't be an issue.
Hard to generalize really.

Sanke on the move.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use 27 inch ninjato some time 28 inch in old day these commen size for ninjto what size you choes for combat!

Hi Billy,

So you know, the idea of having a sword for combat is really not a realistic plan... for training, yes, but for actual combat, no. Asking what size sword we choose for combat will have people thinking you're purely fantasy-based.

From there, though, the dimensions (length, curve, and so on) of any particular sword will be given by the school you are training in. Some have very specific sizes that they use, so personal choice doesn't really enter into it at all.

An interesting expose on the fallacy of the "Hollywood Ninja Sword"
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/ninja-swords.html

2 of them.

Hmm, Hanwei or Paul Chen... it's like choosing between Twilight films... oh dear....

That said, it should be remembered that, in Japan at least, swords were never really major battlefield weapons. The original battlefield weapons that defined the warrior was the bow and arrow, and later naginata, then spear. It only became the sword when Japan entered into peacetime. So the idea of having a full length katana (not that long, really) for an open battlefield isn't really a good idea... after all, you'd have just over two feet of steel, going up against nine foot of spear....

I'd also be interested in whether you mean you have a 28 inch wakizashi and a 33 inch katana... they are quite long weapons! Remember that the length of a sword is measured from the back of the blade (where it goes into the handle) to the tip, not the entire length including the handle itself.

Oh, and while there is a form of training and competition in Kendo that uses long and short swords, and refers to it as "Nito Ryu", there isn't an actual Ryu called that (there are systems like Nito Shinkage Ryu, but that's about as close as I've found). You're most likely thinking of Niten Ichi Ryu, the school of Musashi Miyamoto. And it has some two sword techniques, but that's not all they do... and many other schools have two sword techniques as well.

It seems there is, I'm surprised to find. First technique after kuji:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7_X7INZZU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nice find, James! I hadn't come across much about them before, and didn't know they had any Nito Kodachi in their syllabus... but what on earth was with the tameshigiri in reverse?!?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, Hanwei or Paul Chen... it's like choosing between Twilight films... oh dear....

Well, compared to the $10 wall hangers you see at the flea markets. :D

or this "Ninja" sword

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
blackswordshinobi

blackswordshinobi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
28 inch wakizashi yes and 27 inch ninjato with 3,33 slint cuver it look streigth but not

OP
blackswordshinobi

blackswordshinobi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
no man my didnt come home shopping network / if look my pic you see black sword with no tusba that 27 inch ninjato in other pic there is 28 inch wakizashi got all my sword real deiler

OP
blackswordshinobi

blackswordshinobi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Billy,

So you know, the idea of having a sword for combat is really not a realistic plan... for training, yes, but for actual combat, no. Asking what size sword we choose for combat will have people thinking you're purely fantasy-based.

From there, though, the dimensions (length, curve, and so on) of any particular sword will be given by the school you are training in. Some have very specific sizes that they use, so personal choice doesn't really enter into it at all.

That said, it should be remembered that, in Japan at least, swords were never really major battlefield weapons. The original battlefield weapons that defined the warrior was the bow and arrow, and later naginata, then spear. It only became the sword when Japan entered into peacetime. So the idea of having a full length katana (not that long, really) for an open battlefield isn't really a good idea... after all, you'd have just over two feet of steel, going up against nine foot of spear....

I'd also be interested in whether you mean you have a 28 inch wakizashi and a 33 inch katana... they are quite long weapons! Remember that the length of a sword is measured from the back of the blade (where it goes into the handle) to the tip, not the entire length including the handle itself.

Oh, and while there is a form of training and competition in Kendo that uses long and short swords, and refers to it as "Nito Ryu", there isn't an actual Ryu called that (there are systems like Nito Shinkage Ryu, but that's about as close as I've found). You're most likely thinking of Niten Ichi Ryu, the school of Musashi Miyamoto. And it has some two sword techniques, but that's not all they do... and many other schools have two sword techniques as well.

Nice find, James! I hadn't come across much about them before, and didn't know they had any Nito Kodachi in their syllabus... but what on earth was with the tameshigiri in reverse?!?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I AM not fantcy base ninja I DO training morden form of ninjutsu we do traning gun war fair as will first gun was tengasshum japaness mustket that trun samuai to gun then shinobi yes some samurai was ninja also but most was higher ro retaaned by them a spy if figer it sword dont run out bullet and use after gun is used..

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Shinken is 2.5 Shaku, iaito same, but MJER uses long swords......

Chris is correct, a sword would be one of the last things I would use for combat, however, anyone dating my daughter may meet it personally....

OP
blackswordshinobi

blackswordshinobi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
lololo my omg you would real do that no ofind the whom ever it would **** them self fast sorry ofin any one

Latest Discussions