What should a black belt look like?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe that has more to do with the fact that most of the rest of us have accepted the fact that you're not likely to ever start training martial arts or get a grasp of the topic well enough to say much meaningful in a martial arts forum and have thus decided to not engage with you until such time as you do decide to begin training.
Are you kidding? He's better comedy than a 2016 U.S. Presidential Debate!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We don't know yet whether the debate was a scene in a tragedy or a comedy. Time will tell. :)

Probably a dramedy, which should be called a comma - because it will give us pause. And God knows what else.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As long as we're sock-puppet busting...

@moonhill99 and Kehkorpz have quite a bit in common. When one goes away, the other shows up. And they've never conversed on here before.

Hmmm...

Stupid question, but what do you train in, Moonhill? A while back you were asking about different arts and bashing a bunch of arts when you were looking for a school, just like Kehkorpz, but you now imply you train. What are you training in?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mean one of them is Batman?

I was thinking more along the lines of the Michael and Janet Jackson controversy. Batman is too cool to be implied here, and I'm even not a comic book guy.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more alone by the lines of the Michael and Janet Jackson controversy. Batman is too cool to be implied here, and I'm even not a comic book guy.
I was imagining the Adam West version from TV when I was growing up. There was even a scene where he had Alfred wear the costume and use a voice modulator to make sure Wayne and Batman could show up at the same time once.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not Ironbear, but according to Moonchild, I could be;) What forms of MA use the Dan system but don't have belts?
Kendo, Iaido, Batto Jutsu, Aikido, Aikijutsu, Kyudo, Jodo, Jukendo, Naginata jutsu and more.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kendo, Iaido, Batto Jutsu, Aikido, Aikijutsu, Kyudo, Jodo, Jukendo, Naginata jutsu and more.
I don't know about the others, but I've never seen an Aikido school that didn't use colored belts. Mind you, I've only been in a few.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about the others, but I've never seen an Aikido school that didn't use colored belts. Mind you, I've only been in a few.

It had one "color" but the aikido school I briefly studied at in Okinawa had a brown belt. It was white belt (rokkyu - sankyu), brown belt (nikkyu & ikkyu), and then black (dan).

I spent some time on an Aikikai forum and it seemed inconsistent. Some used all white until black and some used a variety of colors.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're the only person here who isn't one of my sock puppets.

...or are you? Search your mind. Can you actually remember details of a time before you started posting on MartialTalk? Are you certain? If the memories seem unclear, then you will realize the truth. You're just another creation of my imagination. Sorry to break the news to you.
I remember a spider building her web outside my bedroom window. She built her web all summer long.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is both entirely apropos, and one of the creepiest comments I've ever read.
You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. The tortoise is laying on its back. Its belly is baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. The tortoise is laying on its back. Its belly is baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?
I'll tell you about my mother...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Roast turtle is delicious? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm too busy trying to figure out why there's a turtle in the desert.
Must be a mirage. I need to stay hydrated.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm too busy trying to figure out why there's a turtle in the desert.
Must be a mirage. I need to stay hydrated.
Argus, FYI... tortoise... it is a tortoise not a turtle and there are species of tortoise that do live in deserts. So though you may need to stay hydrated which is an excellent idea it probably isn't a mirage.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I picture a black belt I used to think of a very muscular guy, looks dangerous and in general a tough guy. Now that I am no longer 7 years old I learned that for many martial arts, black belt is an impressive feat, but it does not necessarily mean you are a master.

Still even though there is that fact, I see many black belts that look obese and out of shape. Is level of fitness not a requirement for most martial arts? I know in my old kenpo dojo it was to an extent, I mean you were not required to be Mr universe or something but you had to be on good shape to spar for awhile without getting too winded to continue.

What are your thoughts on this? I am very interested to learn.

I will be happy with a Black Belt that is not a Master, but masters his stuff.

Recently I had the opportunity to spar with a Black Belt (when I should not even spar before a few weeks training there). She was confident with his stuff and the instructor was confident to put me in front of her. And while I was seeing several opportunities under a different ruleset, under their rules that was good (challenging) enough. They (including another high grade) master their stuff and I don't ask for more than that (the invincible tough guy - cough, cough..).

Then the level of fitness is relative to the style and age of practitioner. Perhaps it was at the level when he was promoted, if not currently.