What should a black belt look like?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I knew this guy who had a really ugly dog. Cockeyed, crooked tail and couldn't fetch a stick if it was handed to him. But he was friendly, great with kids and a fierce protector of home and family.

I knew another guy with a dog that would make Rin Tin Tin jealous. But he bit, barked too much and crapped in the house.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mmm I'm not going to pick out the sexism and prejudice in that statement as it is nearly midnight and I'm off to bed, but you may want to think about it a bit. :cool:
While it could entirely be sexist, it is entirely possible that he's only met two or three female black belts, and all of them happen to be in great shape. If that's the case, it's entirely reasonable that he'd extrapolate (possibly incorrectly, but that's only based on what I've seen) the idea that almost all female black belts are in much better shape than their male counterparts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While it could entirely be sexist, it is entirely possible that he's only met two or three female black belts, and all of them happen to be in great shape. If that's the case, it's entirely reasonable that he'd extrapolate (possibly incorrectly, but that's only based on what I've seen) the idea that almost all female black belts are in much better shape than their male counterparts.

I meant it was sexist against men rather than women..............:)

To be honest I think he's met only a few martial artists full stop.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
What should a black belt look like? Well it should be black, made out of some kind of material, rectangular in shape, long enough to wrap around a person twice, possibly have white stripes on the end and some writing on it. :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I picture a black belt I used to think of a very muscular guy, looks dangerous and in general a tough guy. Now that I am no longer 7 years old I learned that for many martial arts, black belt is an impressive feat, but it does not necessarily mean you are a master.

Still even though there is that fact, I see many black belts that look obese and out of shape. Is level of fitness not a requirement for most martial arts? I know in my old kenpo dojo it was to an extent, I mean you were not required to be Mr universe or something but you had to be on good shape to spar for awhile without getting too winded to continue.

What are your thoughts on this? I am very interested to learn.
My thoughts? I think you should read The Newbie Guide to Martial Arts Training by Kirk Lawson. In it, it will describe this and many other concepts.

However, the fact is that a "black belt" doesn't look like anything but could look like everything. Like Tez says, it's just a piece of cloth. Like Photon says, it means something different to every system.

All that a belt, ANY BELT, does is recognize that the person wearing it has met or exceeded certain minimum standards of understanding of some set of physical skills. Those physical skills may or may not require high levels of what you think is "physical fitness." A black belt, or ANY BELT, in one system is somewhere between irrelevant and completely meaningless in any other system.

Oh, and, by the way, go tell any random Sumoka you feel like that he's fat and therefore sucks as a martial artist. Be sure to take video and post it for our entertainment. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was all way broken in after about 10 years, too.
Get a new belt. Wash it in cold on "Heavy Wash" cycle. Dry on "cool" or "permanent press" cycle with 5-10 Tennis balls and/or Racket Ball balls. Lather, Rinse, Repeat until desired "break in" is achieved. Works best with a "batch" of 5-10 belts. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My Judo club meets at the YMCA. I happen to really appreciate that fact. There are lots of ladies in yoga pants doing yoga, pilates, or whatever who've been working really hard on their physique.

Is it sexist of me to recognize that fact? Well, maybe. But, then again, recent research seems to indicate that everyone is actually (at least a little) sexist (and racist too) and it's just how good we are at hiding it and/or overcoming our instincts.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Judo club meets at the YMCA. I happen to really appreciate that fact. There are lots of ladies in yoga pants doing yoga, pilates, or whatever who've been working really hard on their physique.

Is it sexist of me to recognize that fact? Well, maybe. But, then again, recent research seems to indicate that everyone is actually (at least a little) sexist (and racist too) and it's just how good we are at hiding it and/or overcoming our instincts.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Interesting that people thought I meant he was being sexist against the women when in fact I was meaning he was being sexist against the men.
I don't think appreciating anyone's physique is sexist, far from it. I do however think comparing one sex unfavourably against another without grounds is though.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting that people thought I meant he was being sexist against the women when in fact I was meaning he was being sexist against the men.
Can you blame us? If the suggestion of sexism is made, what's the percentage of those suggestions being sexism against men? Maybe the percentages of sexism by gender are sexist themselves? Now there's a research paper! ;)

I don't think appreciating anyone's physique is sexist, far from it. I do however think comparing one sex unfavourably against another without grounds is though.
:)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What should a black belt look like? Well it should be black, made out of some kind of material, rectangular in shape, long enough to wrap around a person twice, possibly have white stripes on the end and some writing on it. :)

Not necessarily.... There are systems using single wrap belts (many ITF schools, for example), as well as those using various colors for the stripes. Our belts, for example, are embroidered in yellow.
Basically, it should look like whatever is customary at that particular school.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok different standards for different dojos. Thank you, my next question is should seeing many black belts from a dojo be out of shape be a red flag that this dojo is no good or should it not be an issue?
For me it would be an issue but not a primary issue. I would be much more concerned with how good their technique looked. I've seen dojos where the skill level of the black belts made me cringe. Personally I would steer clear of such dojos.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

His statement was sexist against both genders, and as Lawson stated, most of the time when people bring it up, they're referring to sexism against women and ignoring sexism against men.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What should a black belt look like?

Don't know about others but this is what one of my black belts looks like.
upload_2016-1-7_11-51-8.png

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well obviously sumo is a different story here :/. I am aware people can be good at the martial art no matter the weight. My post wasnt saying that they cannnot be good or even great, my concern was more about the intensity of the training within the dojo.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well obviously sumo is a different story here :/. I am aware people can be good at the martial art no matter the weight. My post wasnt saying that they cannnot be good or even great, my concern was more about the intensity of the training within the dojo.
The point is, as aptly proven by the sumoka, a person's visual appearance does not necessarily indicate the intensity of their training. Sumoka are strong, fast, well trained, skilled, have great endurance, and look like a frigg'n beached whale. They'll still lay the smack down.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

And that's the issue. People confuse intensity with effectiveness. I will tell you that I train intensively. I train at my backyard, I train in the dojo, I even practice kata in the shower.

997075_10204412578729534_725433930057866127_n.jpg

1506555_940540165956463_5470530087612411861_n.jpg

10301209_801042796572868_5598863387972162586_n.jpg

1544984_10202270486778574_1693473607_n.jpg

10292140_792249684118846_2852127757177851037_n.jpg

32070_1456579529474_3083939_n.jpg

My point is this; how would anyone know what my 'intensity' level is by seeing me standing in a dojo in a gi with a kuru obi?

And likewise, just because I train constantly, that doesn't make me good. Effective martial arts may or may not require a level of physical fitness. You will never know what a person can or cannot do by looking at their waist size.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for not posting a picture of this! Thank you thank you thank you thankyouthankyouthankyou...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

You'd need bleach for your eyes. I can't even stand it and it's me.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't judge the quality of the dojo by the physical attractiveness of the people. Our students range from 16 to 64, short to fat, stunningly attractive to 45yo me, and from 6-pack abs to 300 lbs round-bodies.

All train hard, and all are very skilled for their given ranks. At the dan level, it would be a costly mistake to pick a fight with any of them. Even our higher kyu level's would devastate most people on the street.

Is it sexist of me to recognize that fact?
No... it just means you're showing appreciation for their hard work. :) I had a 6-pack twenty years ago... I miss it.

Latest Discussions