What school & who is your sensei?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, Sukerkin has a point, its kind of dusty in this part of the forum, and though we are all preaching to the choir, let’s see what we can about it….

What school do you belong too/what style of do you practice?
Who is your Sensei?

I belong to the Canadian Kendo Federation, as such I practice seitei iaido. I also practice MJER iai. I won’t get into the Niten, the seitei and koryu jodo, or any other the dozen other arts my sensei forces down our throats…:) But I hold grades in seitei iaido and seitei jodo.

My Sensei is Kim Taylor, 1st dan Aikido, 5th dan jodo, and 7th dan iaido.http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/ I have practiced with so many amazing teachers thanks to Kim, I hesitate to list them all, plus I would really have to sit and think in order to get them all!!

OK boys and girls lets here em

TKDHomeSchooler

Green Belt
Reaction score
My Wife, 4 oldest kids, and myself go to Freedom Martial Arts in the Park in Collin County Texas.

The reason I say the class is in Collin County is because we don't have a building, rather we train "in the park" for most of our classes. We have a couple of churches we rent time in their gym for inclement weather.

Freedom Martial Arts in the Park Forgive the length of the URL, I tried to talk them in to a shorter one. Also forgive the basic layout, I am a Network Manager and not a Web designer.

Our instructors main focus is home schooled kids, but also offer classes to the parents of the kids they teach. This is the main reason I chose this school to attend, the whole family is involved as well as many home schooling friends.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Wife, 4 oldest kids, and myself go to Freedom Martial Arts in the Park in Collin County Texas.

The reason I say the class is in Collin County is because we don't have a building, rather we train "in the park" for most of our classes. We have a couple of churches we rent time in their gym for inclement weather.

Freedom Martial Arts in the Park Forgive the length of the URL, I tried to talk them in to a shorter one. Also forgive the basic layout, I am a Network Manager and not a Web designer.

Our instructors main focus is home schooled kids, but also offer classes to the parents of the kids they teach. This is the main reason I chose this school to attend, the whole family is involved as well as many home schooling friends.

How do you train with swords in the park, don't you get a lot of people watching you? Do you let the kids have blades or something like bokken?

TKDHomeSchooler

Green Belt
Reaction score
How do you train with swords in the park, don't you get a lot of people watching you? Do you let the kids have blades or something like bokken?

Only the higher belts work with a bow staff, and with a large group of kids and parents around we usually don't get too many off looks.

Last night we did knife defense, so I'm glad we were in a church gym because I know it had to have looked funny.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the higher belts work with a bow staff, and with a large group of kids and parents around we usually don't get too many off looks.

Last night we did knife defense, so I'm glad we were in a church gym because I know it had to have looked funny.

You've got me confused I'm afraid. This is the sword bit and I was expecting you to be sword people, sorry.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't catch what section it is in prior to my response. Move along, nothing to see here...

Don't worry about it, they are too far away to get us! :)
I did though have lovely visions of your kids with their swords in the park! We don't have the weather here to do anything in a park!

However it brings up a point the swords people could answer! Are sword arts something for adults only or are children taught them?

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even tho' I don't study any sword art, I am very interested in hearing what the prevailing opinion from sword folks is on that question. Recently, my 11 year old nephew starting taking classes from someone that lists himself as a 3rd dan in MSR. I thought that was sort of - sketchy.

Is there an age level?

(PS. In order not to derail the thread, I'd be grateful if anyone would PM me on how to verify MSR credentials. Thanks. :) )

However it brings up a point the swords people could answer! Are sword arts something for adults only or are children taught them?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To save derailing this thread I'll start another about children etc and I'm sure those kind people with swords would fill us in* I mean give us some info!

*Sukerkin will get that even if the non Brits don't lol!

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even tho' I don't study any sword art, I am very interested in hearing what the prevailing opinion from sword folks is on that question. Recently, my 11 year old nephew starting taking classes from someone that lists himself as a 3rd dan in MSR. I thought that was sort of - sketchy.

Is there an age level?

(PS. In order not to derail the thread, I'd be grateful if anyone would PM me on how to verify MSR credentials. Thanks. :) )

It won't derail it, it's a great topic and fits into the general discussion.

There are the big federations, The Kendo Federation and the Iaido Federation that issue grades. Each individual school or club can issue grades as well. A 3rd dan in MSR is a legit grade, whether the teacher in question has one, who knows. Ask where who he graded with.

We'll teach anyone, any age. Problem is iaido is more an older person art, its too slow and methodical for kids, generally speaking.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What school do you belong too/what style of do you practice?
Who is your Sensei?
I am rokudan in Kobu Shin ryu, a gendai sword art, as well as sandan in Shin Shin Sekiguchi ryu (through Shin Shin Kai) and nidan in Meishi Ha Mugai ryu (through Suimokai) which are both koryu. My current sensei is Tony Alvarez, and I lead a Mugai ryu study group in Plano, Texas.

Are sword arts something for adults only or are children taught them?
Sword arts are not generally for children because it takes intense concentration and focus. This is something that most children, and many adults, are incapable of sustaining. The youngest student I've ever taught was 12, but he came and watched two entire classes before I would agree to let him try. I figured if he could sit through that (watching iai is very boring!) then he would undoubtedly be able to endure the classes, which he did. He attained his shodan after three years, and just left to attend the TAMS program at the University of North Texas. I have seen children as young as 10 practicing legitimate sword arts, but it is the rare exception rather than the rule. Regular practice is done with a bokken or a non-sharpenable iaito, although I have seen kids using sharp swords at cutting practice.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train with the Calgary chapter of the HNIR dosokai. Though I missed last practice. :( Ken, say hi to Kim for me.

Best regards,

-Mark