What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
"Poor Man's Raygun"

Its a book about how to make a Microwave Beam Weapon out of your Microwave oven.
DAMN!!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boss: " Do you read"

Rich: Blank Stare

Boss: "Of course you read. Do you read books for pleasure?"

Rich: "Yes, I do. I read every night before I go to bed."

Boss: "Well, I think you should read this book. It is written in kind of a corny story manner, yet, it does cover the point, and is good to read."

Rich: "Sure I will read it, I enjoy learning."

Boss: "Here is my personal Copy, I'll want this back when you are done."

** This came after a bad week or so, followed by me not going on vacation this last week, to help resolve some of the follow up issues and reports required to explain what happened and why and how will it not happen again. Some very high level management, was upset, and reports, I put together, for my boss, went to Group VP and President of the corp. I was seriously concerned about having a future with the corp. Yet, if the boss gives you a book to read and tells you to give it back after reading then I must have some future even if it is just short term ;).

The Book Title: The Goal, "A Process of Ongoing Improvement"

By Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox.

Now the book is about a plant in trouble and how the plant manager tries to save it.

Now I begin to wonder if my program is the plant and if I have the same three months given in the book to resolve the issues? :idunno:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

Yeah, Its a little light reading. Odd books like that always interest me. its only like 20 - 30 pages long.

Of course, I have not built one, as I need someplace to nuke frozen Burritos, I cannot sacrifice my Cooking appliance.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Boss: "Here is my personal Copy, I'll want this back when you are done."

** This came after a bad week or so, followed by me not going on vacation this last week, to help resolve some of the follow up issues and reports required to explain what happened and why and how will it not happen again. Some very high level management, was upset, and reports, I put together, for my boss, went to Group VP and President of the corp. I was seriously concerned about having a future with the corp. Yet, if the boss gives you a book to read and tells you to give it back after reading then I must have some future even if it is just short term ;).

The Book Title: The Goal, "A Process of Ongoing Improvement"

By Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox.

Now the book is about a plant in trouble and how the plant manager tries to save it.

Now I begin to wonder if my program is the plant and if I have the same three months given in the book to resolve the issues? :idunno:

The Goal is an excellent introduction in to the 'Theory of Constraints'. Eli Goldratt is AMAZING. While the story is cute, the theory behind it is pretty impressive. I have about 6 of Goldratt's books in this office, right now. The concepts are simple to understand, but quite difficult to put into practice. Good Luck.

By they way ... I am reading "What Liberal Media" by Eric Alterman; which goes about explaining how the 'Media' (whatever that is), is not 'BIASED' to the left at all.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The next book on my "books to read" pile was "Band of Brothers" by Ambrose. Good book so far, but since I recently finished Blackhawk Down, I thought I would leaven the special forces emphasis with some re-reading of "A Sand County Almanac" by Leopold. If you are a naturalist, environmentalist, or someone who doesn't like either label, but cares about the world around them, it is a must read. Very calming after reading about the Battle of the Bulge.

Lamont

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Re-reading my boyfriend's copy of The Filipino Martial Arts by Dan Inosanto. Also (I tend to read several books a bit at a time) The Ape and the Sushi Master by Frans de Waal, Time's Arrow, Time's Cycle by Stephen Jay Gould, and Pigs at the Trough by Arianna Huffington.I read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser a little while ago. Very well done. (ha ha)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Awesome book. How far into it are you? Are you digging it?

I'm not making this up...I know a seven year old boy who is reading Hawking. The kid is brilliant. He's going to sit down and explain it to me when he's done.

I'm reading "Violence: Reflections of a national epidemic" by James Gilligan, M.D. A fascinating work.

I'm also reading "From The Folks Who Brought You The Weekend; A short illustrated history of lablor in the United States." by Priscilla Murolo and A.B. Chitty. Also a pretty good book...recommended to me by a local Union Rep.

Regards,

Steve

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just decided yesterday to re-read the Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra. I don't think I'll ever have read it enough times. This is my fifth time, I think.

P

PeachMonkey

I'm re-reading "Listening to Prozac" by Peter D. Kramer. Fascinating work on the history of psychopharmacology and recent trends related to treatment of mood and other disorders.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
I'm re-reading "Listening to Prozac" by Peter D. Kramer. Fascinating work on the history of psychopharmacology and recent trends related to treatment of mood and other disorders.

That's one of the best books I've read in the last decade. I like the way he addresses the ethical implications of meds.

I recommend that to anyone.

Regards,

Steve Scott

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Presidential Good and Evil - The Ethics of George W Bush's Presidency

Very interesting!

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've just gotten about half way thru the book because of other things getting in the way......

I think I may open a department for starfleet academy when I'm done
icon10.gif

It very informative and I think its great!
that 7yr old may just open starfleet
icon12.gif

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Don't read many non-fiction books. I always buy and sometimes read books on things like "The history of ?" or "All about ?", I also have some computer books and business books I'm thuming my way through. Not really ready....more of reference.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just bought Al Franken's book "Lies and the lying liars who tell them."

Very, very funny. I love the way he cracks on Bill O'Reilly.

Regards,

Steve

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently reading "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki and "Kenpo Karate ... The Art of Spontaneity" by Sascha Williams. Just some light casual summer reading for the poolside.

Donna :)

Latest Discussions