What new features would you like to see on MartialTalk?

What new features would you like to see on MartialTalk?

• Video Files

Votes: 70 63.1%
  • Expanded Library

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • New ChatRoom Software

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Interviews

Votes: 42 37.8%
  • Private Forums

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Multiple attachments

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Video Games (like MAP)

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • Online Store

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • Searchable Schools Database

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • Other - Please specify

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I also like the free beer coupon idea :D

I really like the video idea. Later this year I will try to capture some techs and send em in.

Bob you know your asking for more work dontcha?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by don bohrer
I also like the free beer coupon idea :D

I really like the video idea. Later this year I will try to capture some techs and send em in.

Bob you know your asking for more work dontcha?

Naw....I'm only on here 16 hours a day....I still got 8 hours free. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I see alot of folks want both videos and interviews.

Send em on in, and we'll put em up. If you've got the videos on your site, shoot me the links. :)

L

lonekimono

I think it would be great to pick a person and spotlight them
ie; how long in the arts?
what art?
i know other's do this but i think Martial talk could do it better.
there are alot of great people on here,well it was running around inside my head
:D

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Ok, I see alot of folks want both videos and interviews.

Send em on in, and we'll put em up. If you've got the videos on your site, shoot me the links. :)

OK, here is the preview clip I made, ages ago when I apparently had the technology at my disposal...

Posting the link here may defeat the purpose of submitting it to the library, but you have my permission to archive, download and share it if you will maintain the link to the source.

http://www.akfkenpo.com/hcclip12l.mov
http://www.akfkenpo.com/hcclip12l.avi

Both available via http://www.akfkenpo.com/homecoming.htm

P

pknox

-If- I were to impliment something like ebay, I'd probably go the flat-rate method as it simplifies things enormously.

Heres a thought: How many folks would pay a few bucks a year for access to premium features? Maybe $20 a year gets a magazine subscription, access to the auctions, a Private 'Supporters' forum and a few other things?

Just thinking out loud. :)

Absolutely. I would do it in a heartbeat. If you are able to use either a credit card and/or PayPal, that would be very easy as well.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Make some type of Video Conferencing Room or facilitator.
I don't know how this works or if it is necessary, but what does WebEx do?

Do that here.

And make it a Premium feature for paid subscribers only.

If I had a convenient way to do a Kenpo Videoconference/Seminar that might be worth money.
:idea:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, so far, here are the top 5 results:
- Video Files
- Interviews
- Searchable Schools Database
- Online Store
- Expanded Library

Video Clips
Now, to do these, we need your help. Send in some video clips. We are working on compiling things from whats already been posted, but can't possibly cover everything. Email me links to the clips, or the clips themselves. (5 mb max). You can also burn them to CD and snail mail them.

We've got plenty of server space and bandwidth.

Interviews
As we can we will, but if you have a chance to do one, please do so. We're also interested in links to interviews done by others that purhaps we can't reprint, but can link to.

Searchable Schools Database
This is in the works. Unfortunately, as it is a database, it impacts the server performance. We need to move MT to its own box so we can tweak it for its own needs, etc. That requires $ we don't have. As soon as the funding is available we will be accelerating the development.

Online Store
I'm evaluating various affiliate programs at the moment. We've been an Amazon.com affiliate for some time now, and the payoffs been minimal. Not certain how much ROI we'd get here.

Expanded Library
This is also in the works, slowly. The addition of the videos, as well as other member submited resources will greatly enhance this feature.

Right now, we've got alot of great ideas. Unfortunately, most require resources we don't have. Please, if you like this site, if you want to see some of the neat ideas here, support us. Advertising is very affordable, and the magazine subscription is dirt cheap.

Thank you!
:asian:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The JiuJitsuGear forum has a neat feature call an aura. Every forum member has an aura. The aura is a numeric value that can be positive or negative.

If you like a post you can click a button to "applaud" the member. The member's aura is increased by one point. If you dislike a post you can click"smite" and the member's aura is decreased by one point. You can only applaud or smite a member once every 24 hours.

This clearly differentiates the positive contributors from the trolls (auras range from about +200 to about -200 and mine is currently 7 although I've posted about 65 times there). It is much more meaningful than the MartialTalk belts which only reflect how frequently you post and not what other forum members think of your contributions.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Email addresses : I've considered it in the past, just haven't found a simple and stress free way to do it yet.

"Auras": Sounds like the Karma feature. I believe its an optional feature in the next upgrade to the software. Some folks love it, and others hate it. Its another on the maybe list though. :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Email addresses : I've considered it in the past, just haven't found a simple and stress free way to do it yet.

"Auras": Sounds like the Karma feature. I believe its an optional feature in the next upgrade to the software. Some folks love it, and others hate it. Its another on the maybe list though. :)

Hmmm Karma, That sounds scary. Given my past and karma ;)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm...this came back to life.
====

Done - Video Files
Done - Expanded Library
Done - Private Forums
Done - Multiple attachments
Done - Video Games (like MAP)
Done - Searchable Schools Database

Nope - New ChatRoom Software
Nope - Interviews
Nope - Online Store

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry. I was bored and did that. My apologies. It would be cool if you got the last three done/started. They seem like good ideas.

Plus the online store could help fund mt. You could do it once a person has spent a certain amount of money like twenty dollars on items then they get a supporting membership for ten months or they can pay fifteen dollars for the twelve months.

As for the chatroom. We kind of have that already with the last person thread but a real room would be nice.

the interveiws would also be a interesting idea.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We did some interviews, but it just ran out of steam.
A chatroom is no longer in our plans as I've yet to find a solid secure one to integrate.
We're discussing a store, though we have no desire to compete with our sponsors. Possibly some unique MT branded items once we can fund em (shirts, mugs, mousepads, etc. I refuse to use crapepress though)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Weren't MT shirts available at one time? I'd get one of those...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They were. I need $500 to spare to get a new run done...don't have it yet to spare. LOL

Latest Discussions