What Movie or TV show has influenced your life?

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let's face it, in modern life, TV and Movies all affect people, and those things influence us to some degree. What TV or movie has influenced your life and how?

For me,

Robotech - Never give up, and give it your best attitude. Friendship, love, and family is precious.

Return of the Condor Heroes - Sometimes the things worth fighting for are not apparent until we mature and drop our selfishness

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simple Chief Emerald of course without him I would have never got into cooking. also it would be Superman I just have not been able to get the flying down yet, But I am truely working on it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Waiting for God, Thin Blue Line, Jericho (the BBC show), Blackadder.

And Saturday Night Live back in the days of the Not Ready For Prime Time Players.

I kind of liked House and Pushing Daisies, but that's about it.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Eraserhead

Leonard Bernstein's Candide

Heathers

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
CHiPs. Frank Poncharello is my idol.

Oh, and the Muppet Show. Statler and Waldorf taught me how heckling is an art.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ramna 1/2 how I heard about kenpo, which led to 3 years of good times

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung Fu (tv series), Enter The Dragon, Ben Hur, Happy Days, Jeremiah Johnson, Silent Running, Billy Jack, Emergency... oh and just about every Kurosawa film I saw when I was younger. :asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rin tin tin, Leave it to Beaver, The Rifleman, Bonanza, The lone ranger, Lassie, Father knows best, The mickey mouse club "Annette Funicello" my first love. The formative years. Yes, the good old days, IMHO.
icon7.gif

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
'Lost in Space' (tv series). Really. ;)

There was this particular episode with a talking carrot...even for a 6 year old it was too stupid to watch. Turned off the tv for a decade.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fresh Prince. i suffered from depression and watching those helps me. Ditto with the simpsons and family matters.

The Blade trilogy and wesley snipes because it introduced me to shotokan. Also i can relate as it resembles my life (without all the vampire stuff of course). But being an outsider, born different, and having allies but not many real friends and just wanting to BE human. and to belong. That I can relate to. Because its my life.

watching hockey on tv influenced me because i liked the russian players who were very good, the ones of the 1990's, and that got me into Russian. and wanting to learn it which led me to univ and got me my degree. which also led to shotokan because that is where they had a little advertisement in the university newspaper about where they taught traditional shotokan.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
H.R. Puffinstuff ...

Who's your friend when things get rough?
He can't do a little 'cause he can't do enough. LOL

Ren & Stimpy
Battlestar Galactica (both)
Star Trek (every incarnation save "Voyager"..feh)

Wild Wild West...
Have Gun Will Travel... reads the card of a man... (the only show I know of where a calling card had it's own theme music...lol)

Kung FU...
Batman...
Green Hornet...

Buck Rogers...

S.W.A.T.... anybody remember that one?

Brisco County Jr.

Firefly... stupid FOX... sigh...

The 6 Million Doller Man!

Starsky & Hutch... now that's real Bromance!

The Venture Brothers....

The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew...

The LlllloVE Boat! Soon will be making another run... and Fantasy Island!

Why do I feel like bustin' out singin' "TV Party" by Black Flag? ...

..anyway...

I Spy...
The Greatest American Hero... since we're on Robert Culp...(A Kenpo guy by the way...)

Heroes...

...just a few TV shows.... not even gonna get into the movies. LOL

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have Gun Will Travel... reads the card of a man... (the only show I know of where a calling card had it's own theme music...lol)

That song was written by "Johnny Western," as I recall. Great name. Supposedly his actual name, not a stage name. Funny the things that stick in your head.

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu Panda :)

That movie was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and finally got me into martial arts!

Fight Club, got me to read the book. I didn't fully realize people other than me actually had those kinds of thoughts.

Contact. Ditto on the "those kinds of thoughts".

E.T., Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Tom & Jerry, Carl Sagat's shows..

One short clip that had a profound effect on me in my childhood was Bartleby, the Scrivner, based on the short story by Melville. That one about blew my 10-year-old mind to tiny pieces.

Latest Discussions