What movie best represents your style?

OP
Dan Cosgrove

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Or maybe Frank Sinatra's fight scene in "Manchurian Candidate." May have been the first use of karate in a US-made movie? You have to watch to about the one minute mark.
You're right, I read somewhere that that was the first use of eastern martial arts in an American movie.

Also, Sinatra broke his hand when he hit the table, but he kept going, the trooper.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
The fight scene in "A Soldier in the Rain," with Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason. Just old fashioned butt whuppin'.

[yt]
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mg51z6daQjo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mg51z6daQjo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/yt]

Or maybe Frank Sinatra's fight scene in "Manchurian Candidate." May have been the first use of karate in a US-made movie? You have to watch to about the one minute mark.

[yt]
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6SQfoirS1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6SQfoirS1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/yt]

Oh I like those very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh I like those very much.

You know, if you're a classic film fan, you might want to see "A Soldier in the Rain" sometime. I think it's a sleeper. Both McQueen and Gleason play against type - brilliantly. Gleason plays a 'lifer' in the Army, who knows how the system work and how it doesn't work, and he's a schemer who has carved out a nice niche for himself. He's kind of like a junior mob boss, he has his own little black-market empire going on his Army base. Despite the way he perverts his military service to his own ends, he's a spit-and-polish soldier when it comes to wearing his uniform and meeting all the requirements (well back then, they weren't so much on the height/weight standards). McQueen is a new conscript who hates the Army and is also a schemer, but mostly he schemes to get out of it. By the end, he's changed his mind - won't ruin it by telling more. But Gleason's girlfriend is Tuesday Weld. There's a good reason to see the movie right there.

OP
Dan Cosgrove

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I find Kevin to be much more frightening.
True. He's got that "I don't give a crap if a wild dog eats my intestines while I watch after getting caught eating the hand of this giant freak's therapist and he decides to brain me and proceed to tie me to a tree" mentality.

You just don't see that anymore.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True. He's got that "I don't give a crap if a wild dog eats my intestines while I watch after getting caught eating the hand of this giant freak's therapist and he decides to brain me and proceed to tie me to a tree" mentality.

You just don't see that anymore.

Wow, what a turn of phrase! Are you a writer or did you just have a very troubled childhood? LOL

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The Perfect Weapon" (1991) Jeff Speakman

"Taken" (2008) Liam Neeson

"A History of Violence." (2005) Viggo Mortenson & Ed Harris

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
celtic_crippler;1265823 "Taken" (2008) Liam Neeson [/quote said:
Hey CC,

What is the Kenpo connection with Taken? just curious as I liked the movie.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey CC,

Not saying what he was coached in for the movie was Kenpo, but the post asked "what movie best represents your syle" and a lot of what I saw in that movie reminded me of my training.

For instance...

At the airport when he's on the ground and kicks the attacker's knee and then sword hands him in the throat (lot's of kicks to the knees and sword hands as well as web hands to the throat in the movie... to me that's VERY kenpo...lol.. even a few obscure elbows as I recall.

Use of the environment... picking up the cuttlery from the table and using it.

Multiple attackers...

Repeted strikes to the same target... (I kept hearning a senior I trained with once saying "...if you don't hit it at least 3 times then you're wasting your effort..." lol.

Not to mention the shere brutality and aggression of his actions during the fight scenes. Simply what I equate to what I've been trained. :)

OP
Dan Cosgrove

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey CC,

From IMDB:
Former Special Air Service (SAS) soldier Mick Gould trained Liam Neeson in combatives and weapons handling skills to prepare him for the role.

The martial art style used by Liam Neeson is Nagasu Do. It's a hybrid martial art style that borrows from Judo, Aikido and Ju Jitsu.
Mick Gould's a beast who's worked as a professional bodyguard for people such as THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND. Guess he knows his stuff :S

He's actually the creator of 'Nagasu Do', which is brutal. My assumption is that he took every aspect of Japanese martial arts that he found intensely functional and threw them together.

While it doesn't mention striking arts, I'd think that Kenpo would be a big influence in any of the striking techniques he teaches.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not saying what he was coached in for the movie was Kenpo, but the post asked "what movie best represents your syle" and a lot of what I saw in that movie reminded me of my training.

For instance...

At the airport when he's on the ground and kicks the attacker's knee and then sword hands him in the throat (lot's of kicks to the knees and sword hands as well as web hands to the throat in the movie... to me that's VERY kenpo...lol.. even a few obscure elbows as I recall.

Use of the environment... picking up the cuttlery from the table and using it.

Multiple attackers...

Repeted strikes to the same target... (I kept hearning a senior I trained with once saying "...if you don't hit it at least 3 times then you're wasting your effort..." lol.

Not to mention the shere brutality and aggression of his actions during the fight scenes. Simply what I equate to what I've been trained. :)

First let me say Good technique is not unique to an art or style.

I saw the same things and said that looks a lot like my FMAa training. ;) :D

I also liked the brutality of it and the striking of vital points and areas.

Latest Discussions