What movie best represents your style?

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What's your favourite movie/scene/actor that rep's your style?

Some I've liked in the past:

Capoeira - Lateef Crowder in The Protector (keep an eye out for him as Eddie Gordo in Tekken)

Muay Thai/Muay Boran - Tony Jaa

Jeet Kune Do - The Bourne movies, Matt Damon

OP
Dan Cosgrove

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So you don't know that it's Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, not JKD in the Bourne movies right?
Apparently not, but thanks for letting me know.

I figured it was JKD because they said that in the bonus features. I've seen Kali and Escrima mixed in with JKD in the past, so maybe that's where the confusion was.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okinawan GoJu:
"Kill or be Killed" 1980 movie. A world renowned martial arts expert travels to a desert fortress to attend what he believes will be an Olympic-style competition. As it turns out, he has been lured into a deadly trap by a madman seeking revenge.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently not, but thanks for letting me know.

I figured it was JKD because they said that in the bonus features. I've seen Kali and Escrima mixed in with JKD in the past, so maybe that's where the confusion was.

Nope, they didn't mention JKD in any special features on any of those DVDs. In fact, they mention Kali on all 3 and the specific style on the third one in the stunt/fight choreography section of the last one.

Blood And Bone - Karate (mixed styles)
Fighter In The Wind - Kyokushin Karate
Kuro-Obi - Shotokan karate

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Nobody's ever really done a good movie with the main style being either jujitsu or military combatives but there ARE a few fight scenes in particular that did stand out nicely and closely enough:

Scene from "The Dirty Dozen"--start paying attention around the 5 minute mark:

Dirty Dozen again, starting at the 5:52 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nM7VR5-iCA&feature=related

Nice one from Heartbreak Ridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9qssDTyVNo&feature=related

Another from Heartbreak Ridge( Warning: Language):

There may be many who will disagree with me, but those are how I feel fight scenes SHOULD look--quick, dirty and over, with characters using "martial arts" skills or movement to the extent that they accomplish the mission and to absolutely no further extent--I never did go in for Hong Kong Cinema/wire-fu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh--and also, I realize this isn't a movie, and that it is a work of historical fiction, but the research was pretty good in making it, and the techniques you see Snake use starting around the 4-5 minute mark are not identical, but do look similar to some of mine:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brutality:

Sin - City : the Marv scenes.

Taken : The straight forward violence and determination

Heat : The running Gun fight from the bank

OP
Dan Cosgrove

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nobody's ever really done a good movie with the main style being either jujitsu or military combatives but there ARE a few fight scenes in particular that did stand out nicely and closely enough:

My dad used to watch Heartbreak Ridge every time it came on tv (usually 4 times every Saturday). I don't think anyone can step to Clint Eastwood.

Nice clips on the Dirty Dozen, too. I love the skill when watching two martial artists spar, but in a military setting I can't imagine spending more time than absolutely necessary to save my life.

I read a military hand to hand manual recently, and its maxim was "Thump'em n' dump'em".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For Taiji "Pushing Hands"
For Xingyiquan the only thing that pops into my head is "The One"

But I know there is a film out of China that is better, I just can't remember the name.

OP
Dan Cosgrove

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For Taiji "Pushing Hands"
For Xingyiquan the only thing that pops into my head is "The One"

I liked the use of Bagua Chang in The One, I'm not sure which other movie featured it.

Hopefully they keep it as Aang's style in Airbender (which actually looks unsucky from previews).

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Seriously? Didn`t you ever watch "The Devil`s Brigade" growing up? It`s from the 50`s or 60`s and it`s all about Pat O`Neil training the first combigned US and Canadian Ranger battalions in WWII.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpf1YO26MBM&feature=related

Althopugh I`ve gotta say the training scenes were less contrived and more realistic. But it`s hard to come close to the dirty dozen.

Last edited:

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seriously? Didn`t you ever watch "The Devil`s Brigade" growing up? It`s from the 50`s or 60`s and it`s all about Pat O`Neil training the first combigned US and Canadian Ranger battalions in WWII.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpf1YO26MBM&feature=related

Althopugh I`ve gotta say the training scenes were less contrived and more realistic. But it`s hard to come close to the dirty dozen.

Makes note....(Devil's Brigade)....once I get home from work/ tax appointment I will youtube the hell outta that one.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marv is a terrifying concept. I think he's the imaginary opponent everyone should picture if they need motivation to train harder.

I liked Marv a lot. I laughed and was telling phrases like "Yea!" and "that's how you do it!" during the movie that those with me were worried that others might complain. But when they looked around no one wanted to complain about the big grumpy guy enjoying the movie. I am not sure why. ;)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fight scene in "A Soldier in the Rain," with Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason. Just old fashioned butt whuppin'.

[yt]
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mg51z6daQjo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mg51z6daQjo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/yt]

Or maybe Frank Sinatra's fight scene in "Manchurian Candidate." May have been the first use of karate in a US-made movie? You have to watch to about the one minute mark.

[yt]
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6SQfoirS1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6SQfoirS1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/yt]