What martial arts book are you currently reading?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just finished "The Throws & Take-downs of Greco-Roman Wrestling" by Geoff Thompson, and have started his "Real Punching" book.

C

chaosomega

I'm currently reading Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Theory and Technique... and Mastering Jujitsu. Off and on I'll look back to my copy of The Tao of JKD.

P

pknox

"Aikido Talks: Conversations with American Aikidoists" by Susan Perry and Ronald Rubin. I also just reread "Kodokan Judo" by Kano yet again. Always seem to find something new with that book.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just finished "Traditions" by Dave Lowry.

I must say I am a huge fan of Mr. Lowry's work, and this one is very good.

My favorite of all his books is still Autumn Lightning, but that was because of the format and it tells his story. Persimmon Wind followed in a similar venue.

Lamont

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I jut picked up a copy of Patrick McCarthy's "the Bible Of Karate BUBISHI
So far its a verry interesting book

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked Autumn Lightning as well. Not sure if I've read any more of Lowry's books.

Cthulhu

P

pknox

I can definitely recommend "Moving Towards Stillness", which I don't think's been mentioned yet.

M

Matt Bernius

I've been slowly working my way through Martial Musings - Robert Smith. Basically I balance that with a fiction book, which works perfectly thanks to the anecdotal set up of Musings.

- Matt

Q

Quick Sand

I'm currently reading "Taekwondo: Ancient Wisdom for the Modern Warrior." by Doug Cook.

I'm about half way through and I'm really enjoying it. It talks about history, philosophy of the MA's, meditation etc. It's really making me ancious to switch to a different school which will hopefully take more of these aspects into account. Unfortunatley I still have about 8 months before I move. Getting ancious now isn't doing much good but it's also helping me practice more and stuff.

B

Black Bear

'tis a pity. I do need to bone up on my greco-style clinch.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Currently reading: This is Self-Defense (Kenpo Jujitsu) by Frank R. Ricardo. Good information, most experienced martial artists should have this material assuming that they approach their martial art as a concept rather than being technique oriented.

Lamont

B

buddah_belly

Kodo Ancient Ways: Lessons in the Spiritual Life of the Warrior/Martial Artist by Kensho Furuya

Kung Fu: History, Philosophy, and Technique by David Chow

L

lifewise

"Martial Arts After 40". The good part of this book - I know I am not alone. Unfortunately it hasn't offered much I didn't already know, but won't admit. :D

B

Black Bear

I like MacYoung's books. I think I read 3 or 4 of them. Some of them belabour some obvious things, but on the whole I enjoyed 'em.

J

j.c. murphy

This is the 2nd time that I have worked through MacYoung's books. Like everything, there is good info there but you do not necessarily retain it all. His writing style is unique and may set some people off, but I focus on the info, not the style.

Latest Discussions