What martial art is best for a beginner, petite female working in a risky industry?

D

Deleted member 39746

I think the only concern with the throw them on the ground thing is pending the grounds material, given the usual police take down video has the person propelled at some speed onto a quite hard surface.

Amusing thing is i saw a active self protection video where someone would have benefited from a hand lock as he was trying to hand lock someones hand as it was on the window of a vehicle. Needless to say the person got out of it and i think drew a pistol with the hand. So such things are pretty obscure but when you need them you need them. :p (i think it was ASP)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like the arm triangle because of this.

You can trip them or drag them down and easily move to a good handcuffing position.

And it protects your gun really well

Yeah. I fall in to this.
images.jpg

Which then preserves my old man knees on the concrete.

I tend to trip people from there as well. But hey if you wanted to go next level.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi. In the security industry and planning on joining either the police force or corrections industry. So being able to manage individuals and groups if need be.
You 100% need some sort of grappling based for Security, LEO, and CO. Most of the cops I've known went into Judo, followed by Brazilian Ju Jitsu, and some went for Aikido. For most of the stuff surrounding Sec/LEO/CO, standing based grappling should be on a priority over ground based but do not neglect ground. It's stupid easy for an idiot go barnacle on and drag someone to the floor. Striking should be used with caution in all three of these directions. Striking "looks" aggressive and can turn into law suits and official complaints.

I also very strongly recommend buying the Verbal Judo book & videos by George Thompson. Youtube has an old video set by Thompson which is helpful but not as in-depth as the video series. Verbal Judo is originally intended for LEO but fits very well with CO and Sec.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

StellarAevum

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I hear Aikido is good for women because it doesn't require as much strength.

I hear Jiu Jitsu is good for short-statured people.

But I'm basically looking for a martial art that teaches self defence skills and all round skills but without finding it too hard and demanding(especially for someone inexperienced). This might be asking for too much but if such thing exists, please let me know. Cheers

Martial Arts? Markmanship, quickdraw, and baton fighting. Less snarky though, as I think by martial arts you meant unarmed martial arts, wherever you can find a good self-defense focused school.

All effective martial arts requires some degree of physical conditioning. While some might say Jujutsu is good for people who are less strong, I've found the exercises in Japenese Jujutsu to be much more exhausting and strenuous than anything I have done in Shotokan Karate so far.

But as some people have pointed out, the skills that will be most useful for your job will be de-escalation skills, then training with firearms, then training with melee weapons, and then unarmed training.

Seeing as you will likely always have some form of melee weapon on hand, I think that the most likely scenario that you would be deprived of using your weapon is if you were being grappled, so I would suggest a good grappling school if you can find one. I have heard that Judo was originally created by a very slight and petite man in order to defend himself from stronger attackers, so maybe that would be ideal. But I would suggest prioritizing a good school of a style you are less interested in over a bad school of a style you are interested in.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard that Judo was originally created by a very slight and petite man in order to defend himself from stronger attackers, so maybe that would be ideal. But I would suggest prioritizing a good school of a style you are less interested in over a bad school of a style you are interested in.
He was particularly petite. From my memory and confirmed by google-fu, kano jigoro was just above 5 feet tall, and 165 pounds.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Arts? Markmanship, quickdraw, and baton fighting. Less snarky though, as I think by martial arts you meant unarmed martial arts, wherever you can find a good self-defense focused school.

All effective martial arts requires some degree of physical conditioning. While some might say Jujutsu is good for people who are less strong, I've found the exercises in Japenese Jujutsu to be much more exhausting and strenuous than anything I have done in Shotokan Karate so far.

But as some people have pointed out, the skills that will be most useful for your job will be de-escalation skills, then training with firearms, then training with melee weapons, and then unarmed training.

Seeing as you will likely always have some form of melee weapon on hand, I think that the most likely scenario that you would be deprived of using your weapon is if you were being grappled, so I would suggest a good grappling school if you can find one. I have heard that Judo was originally created by a very slight and petite man in order to defend himself from stronger attackers, so maybe that would be ideal. But I would suggest prioritizing a good school of a style you are less interested in over a bad school of a style you are interested in.

MEP use is often shown more as a blocking device, and arm striking extender, which it is good at. But it can be an amazing extension for grappling moves as well; so it is useful for control moves.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MEP use is often shown more as a blocking device, and arm striking extender, which it is good at. But it can be an amazing extension for grappling moves as well; so it is useful for control moves.

Every time I tried to grapple with a baton. I wound up having to fight the guy for it.

Hold one end and hit with the other.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've fortunately never had to use more than verbal tactics to defend myself. However, in sparring? Yes. Just a couple weeks ago I worked with a newbie guy that had probably 80-100lbs on me, got him into my guard, controlled him, rolled him over, transitioned to arm bar and tapped him out. The next round, though, he used his weight to really smoosh me, and once he got on top I couldn't escape and we just stayed like that until the end of the round.
yes that's a bit more realistic real life sort of outcome

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of things wrong, actually. I've explained what some of them are.
We just have a little difference in tactics then. The agency I work for advises that actively resistant suspects should be taken down to the ground for handcuffing and cautions us about trying to handcuff somone who is actively fighting you from a standing position.
Taking a subject to the ground is a tactical choice, and often a very good one. You remove a lot of their mobility and opportunity to fight you. But it's not the same as "going to the ground to fight." When we take a suspect to the ground, we take them down in a way that puts us in a position of maximum advantage, and compromises their ability to resist. It's not the same as an MMA fighter choosing to pull an opponent into their guard, to move from a stand up punching match to a ground fight, etc. I think you and Bill would agree with each other, and are just getting caught in a combination of phrasing and of working in different eras.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taking a subject to the ground is a tactical choice, and often a very good one. You remove a lot of their mobility and opportunity to fight you. But it's not the same as "going to the ground to fight." When we take a suspect to the ground, we take them down in a way that puts us in a position of maximum advantage, and compromises their ability to resist. It's not the same as an MMA fighter choosing to pull an opponent into their guard, to move from a stand up punching match to a ground fight, etc. I think you and Bill would agree with each other, and are just getting caught in a combination of phrasing and of working in different eras.

Um... what?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway there is a counter theory. That you want to do something like this which avoids all the messy rolling around like a fool.

Belt kit is safe, you stay standing and the bad guy regardless of size is subdued.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
New guys lay and pray. And therefore don't give up opportunities that you would otherwise get. Which is good because it changes your technique to counter that.

And where the concept game of inches starts to factor in.

Yeah. Now, he couldn't get out of my guard either. It was basically stalemate. Which is still a better outcome than having him choking me or whatever. Knowing more BJJ than him meant that, at least, he wasn't hurting me.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pulling an opponent into guard is usually not the best option for an MMA fighter wanting to take the fight to the ground either. Generally you want to take the other fighter down and end up on top of them, preferably in a position where you can control their movement and inflict damage while preventing them from fighting back effectively. Guard is typically used to survive and equalize the situation when someone else takes you down and ends up on top.

There are exceptions where a fighter has an exceptionally tricky attack game from the bottom that makes it worth pulling guard (for example Ryan Hall dropping in to single-leg x-guard to threaten leg locks), but those are exactly that - exceptions.

The same applies for using BJJ in a street self-defense situation. I teach my students to take an attacker down and either run or move into a dominant top position. Guard is for when you’ve ended up on the bottom against your will.

Sport BJJ competition is a different matter. The typical tournament rules make pulling guard a totally viable strategy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pulling an opponent into guard is usually not the best option for an MMA fighter wanting to take the fight to the ground either. Generally you want to take the other fighter down and end up on top of them, preferably in a position where you can control their movement and inflict damage while preventing them from fighting back effectively. Guard is typically used to survive and equalize the situation when someone else takes you down and ends up on top.

There are exceptions where a fighter has an exceptionally tricky attack game from the bottom that makes it worth pulling guard (for example Ryan Hall dropping in to single-leg x-guard to threaten leg locks), but those are exactly that - exceptions.

The same applies for using BJJ in a street self-defense situation. I teach my students to take an attacker down and either run or move into a dominant top position. Guard is for when you’ve ended up on the bottom against your will.

Sport BJJ competition is a different matter. The typical tournament rules make pulling guard a totally viable strategy.

Thanks. My explanation was going to be super abrasive. I was hoping someone would pipe up and hit that with a bit of tact.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 40306

Hello... I recommend that you start your journey with this book:
51n20cv3eQL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

What few mention is awarness. You have to understand what that is first.
This book will teach you about rooting... how your feet are not the end of your body.
In short, it awakened abilities I never knew I had. The external martial art is fantastic... but the internal(intrinsic), that's the stuff that keeps you whole.

Latest Discussions