What martial art is best for a beginner, petite female working in a risky industry?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can you explain to me—I would genuinely like to understand... how does BJJ end a fight? So say someone assaults a woman, she has studied BJJ, and she locks him up in a position. I’m assuming they’re not all choke out positions. What then? What if no one’s around and he doesn’t pass out? I’ve never learned ground game, so I really just have no clue what happens then.

If she's controlling him, whether in mount, guard, or side mount, she can transition into a choke or joint lock. If she doesn't get the choke successfully and he doesn't pass out, then she can patiently wait and control him until she gets another opportunity. Once you're controlling your opponent, you can be patient and let them waste energy trying to push you away. At least if they're inexperienced.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can you tell us what arts are taught close enough for you to easily go to them?

But advice usually given here, which is good advice, is to visit different schools in your area and see what art interests you most, and which school makes you feel most comfortable and able to learn in (students and instructors).

Yeah, basically this. Even if there was one best martial art to learn for self-defense, if it's not taught in your area, it doesn't matter. What matters is what you can train in regularly. Those are your options.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If she's controlling him, whether in mount, guard, or side mount, she can transition into a choke or joint lock. If she doesn't get the choke successfully and he doesn't pass out, then she can patiently wait and control him until she gets another opportunity. Once you're controlling your opponent, you can be patient and let them waste energy trying to push you away. At least if they're inexperienced.
sound like a few dates I've been on

but really, have you dumped a 250lbs attacker on the ground and controlled him as you describe, oemr is it just the standard forum fantasy your telling us?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but that the question that the cheer leader for bjj and small female s don't want to answer, incapacitating a large male may be possible or it may not, but then what, how long do you lie there holding an arm bar, before you let go and he attacks you again.

I have held guys to close to an hour. They were so wrecked they could barely move.

If I wasn't about arresting, then I would give him the choice either they get up and walk away or the weather girl predicts a high chance of raining elbows.

D

Deleted member 39746

Shooting them might work, i think New Zealand police are armed as standard. :p (and by extension i think they have firearms in their prisons)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a few basic elements regarding dealing professionally with bad guys.

And this is where they are fighting you and not just being a bit of a duche. (Obviously you try to sell peaceful resolutions to the guy. And you try to put as much advantage to yourself as you can.)

So it could be an arrest. Where generally you take the bad guy down and pin them. Wrestling, bjj that kind of competitive drilling is the core of that dynamic with a different order of priorities.

It could be a fight. So you have been cracked in the head they have you on your back and you are basically either trying to win or be safe. Again BJJ wrestling MMA where you are live grappling punching and kicking helps. Elements like the stand up, sweep, submit concepts. They go for your belt you are controlling arms that sort of junk.

It could be a stall. You have been cracked in the head but the guy has backed off. You call for help and then wait for all your friends to come and team up on the guy. Boxing, striking skills evasive footwork will work here. Wrestling sprawls if they get grips and so on.

Riots can get a bit like this where you are just holding a line. Big fights where you are just trying to keep people separated can be like that.

And more for us bouncers is the drag. Where you just have to forcefully move a guy from point A to point B. And generally if you don't have mass you have to somehow get a standing wrist lock. Wrestling is still 90% of achieving this because the clinch protects the arm locker and opens the opportunities tho get the lock on.

All of this is fluid. You can go from stall to drag to arrest to fight and back again. All of this is done with good communication you are still trying to sell the idea of a peaceful resolution. (So once you can develop composure in a fight you can move on from just yelling stop resisting. I suggest Learning actual sales techniques here)

But yeah. If you want to fight bad guys for a living you need a martial art that does real live fighting. And that works in a real live fighting context. You also can never take a persons word that it works. You have to be able to see it work and then make it work for yourself.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you explain to me—I would genuinely like to understand... how does BJJ end a fight? So say someone assaults a woman, she has studied BJJ, and she locks him up in a position. I’m assuming they’re not all choke out positions. What then? What if no one’s around and he doesn’t pass out? I’ve never learned ground game, so I really just have no clue what happens then.

In the words of Dalton.

images.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have held guys to close to an hour. They were so wrecked they could barely move.

If I wasn't about arresting, then I would give him the choice either they get up and walk away or the weather girl predicts a high chance of raining elbows.
yes, but your not a young lady , which is the thread topic

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I said, the people recommending bjj were fan boys, as that didn't include you, I'm not sure why your debating the point with me,

NB, I'm not sure judo is necersarily a better choice, but I'm sticking with my bjj issue at the moment
I’m not debating anything with you. Simply a conversation among friends.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But can she be taught and trained to be able to?
well that's the big question, can she, allowing that we know nothing about her fitness, health attributes, and temperament , but we do know she is petite,, be trained to incapacitated a 250lb male,weight training attacker

I'd say it's a big ask for anyone ,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Girls don't have elbows?

I asked a " girl" who said it could be done, if she had ever done so, , I'm sure there's some girls some where who could do so, there's girls who can bench press 400lbs, but it's not that common, that you can say any girl can

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
well that's the big question, can she, allowing that we know nothing about her fitness, health attributes, and temperament , but we do know she is petite,, be trained to incapacitated a 250lb male,weight training attacker

I'd say it's a big ask for anyone ,
Driving down the road is a risk as well for anyone.
Don't know her age but she has made it to this point so far. Probably an average person but petite and can learn to do so. May well need alternative devises within her self defense training would be needed but she could learn to use such as well.
No one can be completely assured to be able to incapacitate any attacker, not even a 250lb weight training male.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Driving down the road is a risk as well for anyone.
Don't know her age but she has made it to this point so far. Probably an average person but petite and can learn to do so. May well need alternative devises within her self defense training would be needed but she could learn to use such as well.
No one can be completely assured to be able to incapacitate any attacker, not even a 250lb weight training male.
well that's exactly my point, if we cant be sure that a 250lb weight training bjj practising male can defend themselves, how can we say that a petite female who takes up bjj can, but that's more or less the advice that was given

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
well that's exactly my point, if we cant be sure that a 250lb weight training bjj practising male can defend themselves, how can we say that a petite female who takes up bjj can, but that's more or less the advice that was given
Based on that there is no reason for anyone to train.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Based on that there is no reason for anyone to train.
well let's face it most peple don't and their lives are just fine,

but if you do then you need to have some realism about what is achievable I've a feeling that a day might come when some folks on here may get a bit of a shock

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I asked a " girl" who said it could be done, if she had ever done so, , I'm sure there's some girls some where who could do so, there's girls who can bench press 400lbs, but it's not that common, that you can say any girl can

This was your question.

"but that the question that the cheer leader for bjj and small female s don't want to answer, incapacitating a large male may be possible or it may not, but then what, how long do you lie there holding an arm bar, before you let go and he attacks you again."

Latest Discussions