what makes "krav" krav?

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Comparing common collective martial arts systems, what is the difference of krav vs the other standardized defense systems? What one thing is the big difference? I'll hold my ideas for now.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dedicated Extreme Physical Aggression and not stopping that aggression until the subject/opponent is completely incapacitated.

Krav as developed by Imi Lichtenfeld is a amalgamation of Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Aikido, and Karate used with extreme aggression. Today it continues as an evolving system with bits of other systems having been added by different instructors so it is not clear cut to specify a universal curriculum though of the major Krav Maga organizations world most techniques are similar.

Imi Lichtenfeld said competition isn't the same as fighting for your life. Completely different goals, completely different mindset. Not emotional aggression but pure physical aggression. If that aggression is not a major component of the training it isn't Krav Maga.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to say the differentiation is in the mindset. The mindsets of "I will survive" and "I will do whatever it takes". Flipping the switch, as I have heard it called. It's a resolve ,when necessary, to physically overwhelm at all costs.
Dedicated Extreme Physical Aggression and not stopping that aggression until the subject/opponent is completely incapacitated.

Krav as developed by Imi Lichtenfeld is a amalgamation of Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Aikido, and Karate used with extreme aggression. Today it continues as an evolving system with bits of other systems having been added by different instructors so it is not clear cut to specify a universal curriculum though of the major Krav Maga organizations world most techniques are similar.

Imi Lichtenfeld said competition isn't the same as fighting for your life. Completely different goals, completely different mindset. Not emotional aggression but pure physical aggression. If that aggression is not a major component of the training it isn't Krav Maga.
Basically what you said. The hard part is teaching how to get there mentally. Any fool can learn to be tough and mean, but that aint it. That's just a bully. And I don't like bullies. The only thing unique to krav that I see is the resolve. It's just not easy to help someone find that resolve within them when danger doesn't seem imminent.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say the differentiation is in the mindset. The mindsets of "I will survive" and "I will do whatever it takes". Flipping the switch, as I have heard it called. It's a resolve ,when necessary, to physically overwhelm at all costs.

Basically what you said. The hard part is teaching how to get there mentally. Any fool can learn to be tough and mean, but that aint it. That's just a bully. And I don't like bullies. The only thing unique to krav that I see is the resolve. It's just not easy to help someone find that resolve within them when danger doesn't seem imminent.
I don't think that attitude is unique to KM, nor even enusual in self-defense related MA. How it is taught/developed might be a distinguishing feature.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

What makes you think this is unique to Krav?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The tough talk without anything backing it up is just that.

Which sounds meaner than it is. But if you are not somehow physically preparing yourself for a dog fight. Then you are probably not prepared to hold that attitude.

Yelling, rhetoric, laying waste to an unresisting guy. Just does not prepare you as well as competition.

wrestling teaches this concept best. Has since the Spartans used it. And this is because wrestling is just physically and mentally as hard as you can train.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like I said in the other topic, this mindset applies to almost all the systems out there.

@Runs With Fire , just a tip, check out the local JKD/Kali/Wing Chun/Silat or any other martial arts school. It might not look like it from day one, but essentially they all train to survive.
I have to say, I have never seen a kali or silat School. Never actually heard of them exept on this forum. Not discrediting them, they just don't seem to have much presence here.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
What makes you think this is unique to Krav?
Not solely unique to krav, but that is their big thing. That's how I would differentiate between krav maga, crap maga. The idea is that the mindset is 95%. The techniques are to primarily teach you the mindset. And teach you to fight smart second.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not solely unique to krav, but that is their big thing. That's how I would differentiate between krav maga, crap maga. The idea is that the mindset is 95%. The techniques are to primarily teach you the mindset. And teach you to fight smart second.
that's just nonsense, , km is JUST a few techniques taken from else where, strung together, . There is NOT km mind set that is any different to any other half decent ma mind set.
you are learning to destroy another person as efficiently as possible, that is the mind set, you either have that or you don't, attending km classes is no more likely to give you that than any other ma class.

the major advantage km has is good PR and marketing

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
that's just nonsense, , km is JUST a few techniques taken from else where, strung together, . There is NOT km mind set that is any different to any other half decent ma mind set.
you are learning to destroy another person as efficiently as possible, that is the mind set, you either have that or you don't, attending km classes is no more likely to give you that than any other ma class.

I'm not saying krav maga is the only realistic option. The whole point is I think mist agree that self defense is mostly mental. That said, as a person touting an effective combat system, I need to make sure that I do try and incorporate the mentality which ,by the way, anyone can achieve. Some people are born warriors, but anyone can become a defender, which is a warrior for a short time.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score

I also say most martial arts schools do not get into much beyond philosophy and tradition. What I have seen is most "self defense" classes are heavy on philosophy and not so much on function. Just do it. Stop talking and theorizing and just do it.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
The tough talk without anything backing it up is just that.

Which sounds meaner than it is. But if you are not somehow physically preparing yourself for a dog fight. Then you are probably not prepared to hold that attitude.

Yelling, rhetoric, laying waste to an unresisting guy. Just does not prepare you as well as competition.

wrestling teaches this concept best. Has since the Spartans used it. And this is because wrestling is just physically and mentally as hard as you can train.

I mostly agree, never wrestled but I think I agree. I would say that a big part of being tough is a mindset. But a mindset without ability is just a go-cart that thinks he is a racecar. So, off to the races.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also say most martial arts schools do not get into much beyond philosophy and tradition. What I have seen is most "self defense" classes are heavy on philosophy and not so much on function. Just do it. Stop talking and theorizing and just do it.
That’s an odd observation. My experience is perhaps the opposite. Too little time
Spent understanding re mental aspects of self-defense/self-protection.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not saying krav maga is the only realistic option. The whole point is I think mist agree that self defense is mostly mental. That said, as a person touting an effective combat system, I need to make sure that I do try and incorporate the mentality which ,by the way, anyone can achieve. Some people are born warriors, but anyone can become a defender, which is a warrior for a short time.

i think km is good IF your 22 and just completed basic training for the army, . How good it is if your 42 over weight a bad back and your scared of your own shadow, is up for debate, all fighting, and sd is fighting, is a mixture of mental and physical toughness, each with out the other is of little use.

you might be a warrior in your soul, but if your body is weak you are most likely going down. If you can turn scared people into mental killing machines is also a bit debatable.

i think km promises a lot, based on its army connection, but delivers very little in the way of actual fighting ability, certainly no more than most other arts, perhaps a lot less than some. id rather face an over weight out of breath km., than one of those 8 stone MTers those guys are killing machines

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
SD is not fighting. This is SD, this is not fighting.

Fighting is what happens when SD fails.
Here we go again.

Read gpseymour’s rebuttal. If you’re fighting against your will/consent, it’s the next phase of self defense. The soft phase of SD failed, not SD PERIOD. In SD, there’s times when there’s absolutely no opportunity to talk your way out of it, yet it’s still SD. Think walking into your home, and an intruder immediately rushes toward you. A woman opening her car door and an assailant grabbing her from behind without any warning. I could keep going, but what’s the point.

Edit: Just thought of a situation at the school my wife teaches at: a student was walking down the hallway to leave school. Another student was waiting in a recessed doorway and jumped him from behind. By your logic, the kid that was attacked was fighting and not defending himself. In British-English, one word - bullocks.

Not all SD is fighting, and not all fighting is SD, but fighting is definitely a part of SD in the appropriate situations. Thinking otherwise is beyond stupid.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions