What kind of shape are you in?

D

Deathtrap101

I was just wondering what kind of shape all you other martial artists were in, what you do to keep in shape and such.

I have still developing 6-pack and pretty well cut chest, i have bin in better shape where 50 push-ups was hardly a sweat and last time i ran the 100m dash i got just under 15 seconds. About 6' tall 170 lbs and have done the splts about as far down as 6inches off the ground(still too far). Ive bin in karate for about 9 months and just before i joined MA i was trying to just bulk up and be huge, but not anymore :p. Ive bin in moderate shape most of my life before i joined.

Currently i am not going to any dojo's because i have no ride and the one here is shut down till september. When i am at one of hte two dojo's i go to one runs for 2 hours the other for an hour and a half twice a week. And at home i will work out in my basement almost every evening for just as long as i feel interested. I dont have nay set workout i just do whatever and eat whatever(i try to watch it, but cravings get the best of me) which has bin workin for me.

What about the rest of you??

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny you mention this. Earier this spring I was helping my daughter with track. she was doing the 100 & 200 meter dash. Having done this while I was High school (Almost 20 years ago) and help set a couple of school records. I figure give it a try. I was a little disappointed in my time 13 seconds. Was hoping for round 12 seconds. But I am no spring chick. My job requires for me to lift alot so I get some weight training at work. I also do some at the gym. Most of my weight training comes from Grappling. I feel this is the best way to workout. It forces you to use muscles that sometimes you don't use. I am round 5-11, 197 pounds give or take and will be 38 this August.
Bob :D

OP
D

Danny

5' 10"
150lbs.

1.5 Miles in 10:05
45 Push Ups
10 Chin Ups
85 Sit-Ups in 2 min.
(All proper technic.)

Currently 6 days a week for 2 hours of physical training, plus 1 hour technical, plus class and teaching.

OP
R

RCastillo

5'5
47 years of age

I run weekly, lift heavy with the free weights, spar when possible, do bag work, and work in forms, techniques. Still have some decent flexibility. Also teach twice week, and work along with the students. Due to begin another class soon at a community college.:asian:

OP
D

Deathtrap101

wow do i ever feel bad now 13 seconds by someone more than twice my age :p, and my best time was last year when i was 14 i only got 14 seconds.

OP
D

Danny

Have to run the 100 sometime and see how I do. I know I can do 110m in 15 sec. but that track had corners so I'm not really sure how I'd do.

OP
D

DJDragon

Last year this time I was 16 years old. I ran the 100m in 12.34, or 12.43. Cannot find where I wrote it down.

This year I know I could of done better and won but I had a bad toe injury. Sprinters need to run on their toes and my big toe was stuffed. I was pretty upset, cos I know I could of made Open Atheletics Champion.

I'm in alrite shape, but I've stopped working out for two weeks now. I'm 6'0, 140 pounds.

OP
F

fissure

31 years old
5'11"
205 lbs

33" waist
5 sec. 40 yd dash (sucks!)
18 pullups
38 dips
115 sqauts, just body weight- *** to heels stand back up.
Can mop my floor in under 20 mins.:D

OP
H

hand2handCombat

martial arts has helped me soo much, when i was on the track team, i had no endurance or speed. i ran the 100 in 13 second and couldnt finsish a mile. now i can go real steady.

im 140lb, 5' 9", developing 6pack, 40 pushups with ease, developed major quads

OP
S

sparky

I had a six pack but now its in the cooler

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my younger days (high school) my best time was 11.3 sec. I was on the 400 & 800 relay teams, which set several school records that still stand after 19 plus years. These times were on sinder type tracks. Nothing like the all weather tracks you see now. I had wish could of ran on the all weather tracks to see what we could had done.
Bob:D

OP
D

Deathtrap101

Geuss im the sloweswt one here....ohwell, with martial arts who needs to run??:ticked:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
100 yd dash - how ever long it takes me to get the car and go 100 yards :rofl:

Actually, I hate running (with a passion) so I don't do much of it. I don't mind doing dashes though, 40 yd 60 yd 100 yd what ever but try to do 1,2 or 3 miles, fuhget about it I'm going to the car and I'll meet you there.

5'10"
42 years old

no six pack, just a dozen donuts :rofl:

:asian:

OP
S

Steven232

pushups: 78 good ones
Situps: 80
Mile: like 14 minutes with my slow butt...
I'm in bad shape..

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TIME TO BUST A FLEX ON YA'S!

:borg:

Height: 5'71/2''
Weight: 200lbs
Body fat %: approximatily 8%
Bench: 335lb 4-6 reps
Squats: 515 8 reps
Stretch: full front splits....used to be able to do full center, but can't right now.
Speed: 40yrd dash in 4.9 (was some time ago, probably 5.2ish right now); mile well under 6 minutes.

I like being in shape, and I think it is important to at least be in good healthy shape to do Martial Arts. I take "good healthy shape" to an extreme, but I'm young so I'm taking advantage of that.

:cool:

Oh....and despite how it sounds....I'm not an egomaniac, or a "jock".

Thanks! :D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
35 soon to 36 Years Old.

6' 3" or 191 cms

273 lbs or 125 kgs

40" Waist

Splits Front - 6-8 inches from ground
Center Splits - Still working

100 m Dash - I do not run. One of my many faults.

Walking the Mile 8 minutes or so.

Push ups - I do two to three sets of 15 a day.
I know not many.

Sit ups - Crunches 50 center - 35 right and 35 left.

The only six pack I ever had was in the fridge. :D

My Shape - my shape something I learned to live with a long time ago :) . But in General BIG. :shrug:

Rich

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
People keep changing the stuff they put in as stats, so I'm not sure exactly what to say. :) Well, I'll try to follow the last few posts.

Height: About 5'8" (about 173cm)
Weight: About 160lbs (about 72.5kg)
Waist: Under 34" (about 86cm). A little vague, I know, but most of my pants/shorts are 34" and they're a little big on me now. I'm probably about 33", I don't think I've gotten down to 32", but I haven't measured lately.

Pushup, situps/crunches, weight lifting, and the like, I don't do them now. I haven't run in years. Like 10+ years ago when I was running track in high school my best 1600m (almost 1 mile) time was about 5:25 as I recall and I did 800m (about 1/2 mile) in around 2:30 or so at best. I had one 400m (about 1/4 mile) raced timed at 60-something seconds. I think I also had one race at 100m, maybe one at 200m, but don't recall the times. The sprints were part of my testing phase and when they realized I was better at long distance races, I didn't do sprints anymore except as part of training. I used to do cross country 5k races (about 3.1 miles) at somewhere around 23 minutes I think. I don't think I'm exactly in great running shape anymore, so I don't know how fast I am now. If someone's in desperate need to know, I'll try to take a spin around the old cross country course at my high school when I go home on break and time the run, but don't expect it to compare to my old high school times. :p

My flexibility is pretty good. I can almost get a full front split (as it's been called here), but I'm still not quite all the way on the ground yet. I'm not sure what's stopping me at this point, maybe just not enough practice at it. Center splits are much harder. I'm not sure how close to the ground I get, but when I sit back down and try to keep my legs as close to that full split as possible, I usually have about 1 to 1.5 hand lengths (wrist to fingertips) between my body/groin and the line my feet are on. I've always been pretty flexible, but some stretches are harder than others, e.g., I've never been able to get my knees on the ground in a butterfly stretch but a hurdler's stretch is almost nothing to me.

So overall, I think I'm at least in decent shape. Taking up MA has apparently helped at least with a little weight loss. :) I'm not heavy into fitness or anything. I try to keep in decent shape and as long as I look OK, I don't worry too much about it.

Quick comment to Rich -- you can *walk* a mile in 8 minutes? Wow, that's awfully fast. It usually takes me closer to double that to walk a mile and I tend to walk faster than most people. It takes me about 30 minutes to walk between home and school, door to door (i.e., not just to the perimeter of campus) and that's probably around 2 miles give or take a bit. I can't check the exact path length easily.

OP
A

arthurb999

25 yrs old
6'0
212 lbs
~10% body fat

Bench 315 for 1.
Squat 315 for a couple. Never maxxed out on squat.
Don't do deads.

Latest Discussions