What kind of online app do u used for online teaching

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you on this.

You use solo drill to "polish" your technique so you won't build bad habit. "Polish" means to remove all sharp edges.

hip-throw-solo.gif
Nope. I don't agree with that statement, at all. I don't think there's much benefit to fiddling with grappling via unpartnered activity, except as a filler where a partner isn't possible. And it's a poor substitute, because so much of the mechanics is different.

You polish grappling by grappling. Stylized (what in NGA is called "classical") versions can be used to reduce the variables for this purpose, but without a partner, correct balance becomes incorrect and good body position becomes awkward.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you on this.

You use solo drill to "polish" your technique so you won't build bad habit. "Polish" means to remove all sharp edges.
Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent. If you let people convert their partner drills to solo drills, most are going to get some part of it wrong. (especially considering Gerry's point, that most of it is impossible to covert) If they then practice intently, for these weeks while we are out... they will be build bad habits that will be even harder to change.

I even see that as a problem for striking arts with kata. There is only so much you can see through a web cam. If people have learned their kata, then they can practice it. But if you are trying to learn a new kata or form... you may end up with something you didn't intend.

I trained with a Judo coach once, who gave a great example. Practicing your moves is like drawing a shape in the sand with a stick. The first time you try to draw the shape, the stick can go anywhere, very easily. Each time to trace the shape, it gets a little deeper, and easier to follow. However, the deeper it gets, and the easier it is to follow, the harder it is to change. The best time to change your technique, is the first time you learn it, when the ruts are the shallowest. Make sure you make the right shape, even if you have to go slow. That way your ruts are correct.

I think right now, in our eagerness to do something and be productive, we have to be careful of digging ruts we will need to fix later.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey dude! I just participated in a Zoom one last night and it went really well.

Could see everything clearly, and could see some of the screens of other participants (really makes you feel like you're all training together), audio was mostly clear. And the host can keep all audio from the students on or mute it all. He asked if we had any questions and I think you can hold down the space bar to enable your microphone again.

I'm not 100% sure how good it would be for much teaching... but for maintaining technique and getting some training in it's great. I'm sure they could still give great feedback depending on the quality of the picture and whether the lag factor isn't too bad. When I did my techniques fast paced I noticed it would sort of lag, and not be totally accurate to how it would actually look.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent. If you let people convert their partner drills to solo drills, most are going to get some part of it wrong. (especially considering Gerry's point, that most of it is impossible to covert) If they then practice intently, for these weeks while we are out... they will be build bad habits that will be even harder to change.

I even see that as a problem for striking arts with kata. There is only so much you can see through a web cam. If people have learned their kata, then they can practice it. But if you are trying to learn a new kata or form... you may end up with something you didn't intend.

I trained with a Judo coach once, who gave a great example. Practicing your moves is like drawing a shape in the sand with a stick. The first time you try to draw the shape, the stick can go anywhere, very easily. Each time to trace the shape, it gets a little deeper, and easier to follow. However, the deeper it gets, and the easier it is to follow, the harder it is to change. The best time to change your technique, is the first time you learn it, when the ruts are the shallowest. Make sure you make the right shape, even if you have to go slow. That way your ruts are correct.

I think right now, in our eagerness to do something and be productive, we have to be careful of digging ruts we will need to fix later.
I will say that solo work is probably useful for advanced folks (a vague term, not necessarily tied to rank). But only when done with the right intent and understanding.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
(I'm actually strongly considering doing another free Zoom one this Saturday...from Dublin! It'll be at 3pm there.... which makes it 12am here! A midnight session... why not!!!)

Latest Discussions