What kind of online app do u used for online teaching

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What kind of online app do you used for online teaching do you guys used zoom? is zoom effective when doing online training ?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish I could help, brother, but I’m not even sure what an app is.

But the whole online training thing seems like the way to go in these odd times. Have you tried google, or maybe YouTube?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Google zoom and security and news. Theyve been having some issues lately, although apparently are fixing it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All you will need is a GIF file along with some text that people can download. Use slow speed if needed. The GIF file is better than the MP4 file because it can be repeated (but it has no audio). The audio can be replaced by test.

PM-drill-2.gif

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still haven’t figured how to do any meaningful online teaching. It’s not even about the technology, but about how to teach without a partner/uke, and not being able to see what folks are doing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still haven’t figured how to do any meaningful online teaching. It’s not even about the technology, but about how to teach without a partner/uke, and not being able to see what folks are doing.
You need to ask your online students to send you their video. You then send back your comment. Also your students will need to find their own partners (wife, brother, ...).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to ask your online students to send you their video. You then send back your comment.
With webcams you can skip this. I think it's much easier one on one, but basically you perform technique/form, then have them perform it, and you can critique realtime. The issue I think gpseymour has is that his is primarily grappling, and it gets tough to teach or assess grappling techniques without a partner. So the most you can do is solo drills, no partner drills or resistance training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to ask your online students to send you their video. You then send back your comment. Also your students will need to find their own partners (wife, brother, ...).
They would need a trained partner to work with, for it to be useful.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With webcams you can skip this. I think it's much easier one on one, but basically you perform technique/form, then have them perform it, and you can critique realtime. The issue I think gpseymour has is that his is primarily grappling, and it gets tough to teach or assess grappling techniques without a partner. So the most you can do is solo drills, no partner drills or resistance training.
And for strikes, for it to be meaningful, they'd need focus mitts (and a partner who knows how to feed), a sparring partner, or a heavy bag. I don't have any of those things (except mitts and a knowledgeable partner), myself.

For the grappling, as you said, it needs a partner, and one who can keep themselves (and the student) safe. I could do kata, and likely will, but that's of pretty limited use in my curriculum. Still, it'll get them moving and let them advance on learning those, so we can spend less class time on them.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We use Zoom in my school. I think it's more useful for striking arts than grappling arts. Striking you can at least do half the training without a partner. Grappling you can do about 10%.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your online students can polish (solo drill) and enhance (weight training) their skill without partners.

solo drill = partner drill without partner
Partner grappling drills without a partner tend to engender bad habits, because the balance is entirely different, and students get in the habit of doing them without real intent. And some folks aren't very good at imagining what's going on with their imaginary partner, so they do things like sweep the leg where it wouldn't be. Other than heavy bag and some stance walks and such (not really feasible to do via video chat), the only solo drills I use are the kata, and they are very secondary to the partner work. In my experience, only experienced students tend to do well converting partner work to solo drills. The rest mostly mislearn without the feedback of a partner.

As for weight training and such, that's not something I'd be overseeing. I could lead an exercise session similar to what I do at the beginning of classes. I'm not sure if students would show up for that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What kind of online app do you used for online teaching do you guys used zoom? is zoom effective when doing online training ?
I use a Camera for Video. A quality smartphone works, A decent Webcam if I'm doing live video. Camtasia for video editing. My personal thoughts on this is to always do video. Live video can be poor quality depending on the internet connection that the student has. Record your video first, edit it in Camtasia, and then post the video for students to watch at a time that best suits them. Always require homework which is basically the students will be taping their practice.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All you will need is a GIF file along with some text that people can download. Use slow speed if needed. The GIF file is better than the MP4 file because it can be repeated (but it has no audio). The audio can be replaced by test.

PM-drill-2.gif
The downside to a gif file is that you can't change the play speed. Sometimes you need to slow things down to see what's actually going on. I have already had to do this 3 times out of 5 training videos.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your online students can polish (solo drill) and enhance (weight training) their skill without partners.

solo drill = partner drill without partner

inner-hook-solo.gif

inner-hook.gif
Coronavirus struck and now there are no more training partners. Looks like Forms are useful after all.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If webcams can only be used 1 on 1, you can't use it to deal with many students. Also the 1 on 1 private online class can cost more than the group online class.
It can. It'll take you a lot more time. But that's really the only way to do it, since each screen is small. The only other way to do it would be via vr, so you can see everyone same as you would in a dojo, but that would still be pretty expensive.

Latest Discussions