what kind of ninjutsu games would kids play?

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
i once heard from someone that ninja were trained at an early age and were taught games to teach them ninjutsu skills. maybe hide and seek. perhaps climbing and swimming?
if this was true what type of games do you think they would play?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about "ninjutsu games", but kids at an early age do need something else to occupy their minds, while their ability to pay attention grows.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, there are a few stories about old games that would be played, ranging from hide-and-seek to running along a plank (that was gradually raised in angle) for Shoten no Jutsu, methods of running that encouraged endurance, games of dodging objects, and more. Realistically, that's all they were, games. But it may be noted that pretty much all sports that exist are extensions of older forms of warrior training, team sport is pretty much the modern equivalent of inter-village warfare (which goes a long way to explain the way supporters react, soccer riots etc). Even to the point of games like Chess being based in military strategy (my favourite story about the possible origin of Chess is that it was devised by a Middle Eastern prince to explain to his mother, though symbolic military strategy, exactly why he had to kill his brother).

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our Ninja Rangers program for 5 year olds are basically games. In fact I think games are a fun way to do some drills that even some adults may find boring. Shake up ukemi practice by making it a game of some kind and watch people get motivated!

Dean Whittle

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For something a little more contemporary you may like to have a look at episode 8 (Lessons), season 1 of The Wire, where the lead detective (McNulty) gets his kids to tail a suspect using a game he taught them. He does name the game but I don't recall it at present.

With respect

Latest Discussions