What kind of knife is best for knife fighting?

Discussion in 'Knife Arts' started by Joab, Sep 25, 2009.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

Pigsticker. At least I know it will kill something.

2. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    Maybe yes, maybe no. With light (or no) clothing and lots of exposed skin, then it helps a lot. If the physical environment dictates heavy, thick clothing, then a very small slashing area may not penetrate.

That is true. It is also true that stab wounds cause the same effect by damaging internal organs and veins/arteries, causing internal bleeding. A few years back a U.S. Army study found that penetrating stab wounds were more reliably deadly and disabling than slashes. Hoch references this study in his book. I believe that this is because major bleeder arteries near enough the surface to cause the desired effect are harder to target accurately whereas internal organs tend to be large and easy to damage with a thrust. Lungs, kidneys, liver, etc. are pretty big and easy to hit with a thrust when compared to the axillary artery in the armpit.

So, while I agree, it is tempered by context. Not all contexts are the same.

For one person in comparison with himself, yes. A strong person with lots of fast-twitch muscle can move a heavier knife as fast or faster than a less strong person with less fast-twitch muscle. You can't look at someone with a 14" Bowie and think, "he'll be slow." He might or he might not. No way to tell until you engage.

Nah. Serrations increase the length of the edge, giving more "cutting length" and often the "points" of the serration protect the valleys from blunting due to impact. That's why serrated knives are popular for commercial "steak knives." Historically speaking, waves and flamberge were desirable but harder to make and more expensive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Depending on how you define "follow-up." It allows for "back-cuts" or what's sometimes called "false-edge" cuts. Most of the time it's no real effort to turn the hand and follow-up with the true edge.

Maybe. More certainly is sweat loss of fine motor skills and hand/finger sensitivity from adrenal dump. So, yes, secure grip = good.

That aside, in some historic contexts it was common for the fighters to wear leather gauntlets which both protected the hand from injury and helped ensure a grip regardless of sweat/blood/whatever.

[​IMG]
    by lklawson on MartialTalk.Com - Friendly Martial Arts Forum Community

Or a Jambiya? ;)

[​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Martial D

Martial D Blue Belt

Two schools of thought.

1: Large and intimidating. You want to make people 'NOPE' out when they see it.

2:Small, concealable. If it's a folder you need to be able to get the blade out with one hand, quickly. You want the blade on the inside of your opponent before they know you have it.

It is arguable which is better. If I need one it's always 2, but I've fortunately never had to draw one.

4. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    The best knife is one that:
    1 - is legal for concealed carry in your area
    2 - can be accessed rapidly; this may mean fixed blade, auto-knife or at least one-hand opening
    3 - has a good point. Thrusts are by far more effective than messy slashing
    4 - does not need to be large; I've seen more people killed with 3" folders than the scary BFK because people are smooshy and when you stab them, tissues compress resulting in penetration of the blade multiple times the length of the blade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Brown Belt

Given my choice, I would prefer something like a Fairbairn-Sykes style dagger with a double edge. It opens up the most possibilities in regards to technique for both sak sak and pikal grips. This one by RMJ tactical is an incredible option for those looking for such a knife.
    http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-pktq5.../IMG_6854__15572.1477495481.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

If that is not a legal option where you live, and in many states in the US it isn't, something like a Waid Covert, made by Biegler Bladeworks is a great choice for a number of reasons. It carries well in both blade forward and blade backward positions, and works well in both sak sak and pikal grip. My only real beef with the blade is the lack of jimping.
    https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...reen+handle+output+file+copy.jpg?format=1500w

That being said, until Texas knife laws change, which is thankfully in the works right now, my daily carry is a Spyderco Manix 2 Sprint Run. For me, it's the perfect EDC folder (deep choil, perfect jimping, great blade shape, light weight, very solid lock, etc.).
    http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/M50AAOSwol5Y4p~x/s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  6. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

One of the things I noticed about these is the handles are big. I assume so you dont loose control of the knife.

7. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

A dagger I would say is one of the best choices.

8. iain_meyers

iain_meyers White Belt

Not a folding knife. Small and easy to hide. A stabbing knife is probably best for assaulting unsuspecting people, which is what most people carry a knife for.

I guess if you are going to have some kind of bladed weapon fight then bigger is better.

9. iain_meyers

iain_meyers White Belt

This kind of knife is what most people that carry knives with the intention of hurting people will carry. People that carry knives for fantasy reasons will buy fancy fantasy knives.

10. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Brown Belt

11. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Contrary to their advertising, the above is a piece of junk with very limited penetration. You'd be better off stabbed by it than a conventional flat dagger.

12. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Brown Belt

I agree completely. Please check the quote that I responded to in my post.

While the original link appears to be dead now, this is my preferred option for a knife that is to be used for defensive purposes.

[​IMG]
    Cheers,

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM
  13. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

That is a solid knife!

14. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Brown Belt

It is. It's called the "Raider Dagger" and it is made by RMJ Tactical. I have two of them, and they are perfect for how we train in PTK. As soon as Sep 1 gets here, they will be legal to carry in Texas.

15. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, nothing quite like a good double edge boot knife. In IRT we train with them every day. By the way a lot of cross over in what you do with what I do as I trained with Nene Tortal.

16. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Brown Belt

You don't have to sacrifice. We practice blade edge facing in when we are in pikal grip for hooking purposes, and while knives are primarily for thrusting in a defensive situation, I do like to throw the occasional slash in there as well.

As for the rest, I've seen some of Nene's stuff, but very little.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  17. iain_meyers

iain_meyers White Belt

This is the type of knife you should be most scared of, because it is the type being carried by someone violent that intends to use it

[​IMG]