What kind of knife is best for knife fighting?

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find it a little funny that no one can answer Joab's question because of a desire to take it too seriously.

.... he simply wants to have a "what if" discussion. He isn't talking about a knife he will actually carry in a US city.... just what characteristics would we want in our version of a great fighting knife... NO OTHER factors need to be considered.

Maybe I'm wrong.... Joab correct me if I misunderstood you. But can't we all have a fun discussion about our preferred aspects of a fighting knife, and forget about everything else... at least in this one thread?

Precisely. But I don't think I'm going to get it.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fine, I'll play...

Big, scary, high "CDI" factor: Bowie, something like a Bagwell Hell's Belle.

Small, concealable, and useful in the types of situations where a knife might actually come into play: Push-dagger or something like the Kasper Companion

For the record, when my little brother (Army 11B) deployed to Iraq recently, I gave him a RAT Cutlery RC-5. I figured he'd get far more use out of a knife like that (5" blade, 1/4" stock, glass-breaker pommel) than a big, scary "fightin' knife." He will undoubtedly spend much more time cutting open pallets or prying open windows/doors than squared off against someone else with a knife...they gave him an M4 for dealing with people who need killing.
I got one who answered the question, thanks.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool, Joab. I think the confusion has come from the wording of the original post and thread title "What knife is best..." with no qualification. If you are just asking "What is your favourite type of fighting knife?", that is a different question, and that we can certainly answer!

For myself, I try not to have a favourite so to speak, but if I was to design something for myself, I would have a few aspects I would like to see included:
- Single edged (I like to have my thumb behind the blade to brace the cut)
- Blade length of about 2 inches (easily maneouvered, easily hidden, very fast)
- Folder (for concealment)

There are a few other aspects, such as a particular shape to the blade and handle to fascilitate trapping and striking with the base of the handle. But this is a good base line. Is that more what you were after?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cool, Joab. I think the confusion has come from the wording of the original post and thread title "What knife is best..." with no qualification. If you are just asking "What is your favourite type of fighting knife?", that is a different question, and that we can certainly answer!

For myself, I try not to have a favourite so to speak, but if I was to design something for myself, I would have a few aspects I would like to see included:
- Single edged (I like to have my thumb behind the blade to brace the cut)
- Blade length of about 2 inches (easily maneouvered, easily hidden, very fast)
- Folder (for concealment)

There are a few other aspects, such as a particular shape to the blade and handle to fascilitate trapping and striking with the base of the handle. But this is a good base line. Is that more what you were after?

I'm curious, with such a short blade length, why a folder? The overall length wouldn't be much longer for a fixed blade(rough math= 2 extra inches).

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Big, scary, high "CDI" factor: Bowie, something like a Bagwell Hell's Belle.
The Hell's Belle has a lot going for it: Lots of reach, decent cutting, very good on the point, a functional guard which protects the hand decently as well as having some "trapping" capability, meaty enough to stop and parry...

In a lot of ways, it's like a main gauche with a bowie profile instead of a double edged profile.
ontario12.jpg

greatsword_2067_59426656

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the fantasy "I'm not allowed to carry a sword, but a freakin' huge knife is allowable" world, put me in for a bowie as well. In this case the Keating Crossada,
I also have a soft spot for cut down 1860 sabers.

Allegedly Rezin Bowie made a fighting knife this way from a broken saber he found discarded.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I also have a soft spot for cut down 1860 sabers.

Allegedly Rezin Bowie made a fighting knife this way from a broken saber he found discarded.

I hadn't heard that (which isn't really surprising), when you are talking 1860 sabers are you talking heavy, light, or naval cutlass?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm curious, with such a short blade length, why a folder? The overall length wouldn't be much longer for a fixed blade(rough math= 2 extra inches).

Hi Frank,

Really, it comes down to what I am most comfortable with. There aren't any concealed carry situations or laws here in Australia, so folders garner less attention, especially one that is not obviously a "fighter". I have had more experience training with folders, and that leads me to prefer them. That's all, really.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that (which isn't really surprising),
Who knows if it's true or not. But it's a good story and, historically speaking, has a fair amount of documentation and extant examples.

when you are talking 1860 sabers are you talking heavy, light, or naval cutlass?
"Old Wristbreaker" heavy cav.
csstoreonline_2068_6159907

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is very hard to argue against the Hell's Belle as that is an excellent knife!
icon14.gif
I own the "Fortress" model. I like it well enough but really prefer a Bowie with a broader blade.

As crazy as it sounds, I really like the Depeeka "Drop Bowie" (which doesn't look very much like the ad. pics). The finish is rough but the steel is good and it's a big, meaty blade with a functional guard.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Frank,

Really, it comes down to what I am most comfortable with. There aren't any concealed carry situations or laws here in Australia, so folders garner less attention, especially one that is not obviously a "fighter". I have had more experience training with folders, and that leads me to prefer them. That's all, really.
Fair enough. I'm just curious with the rest of your description, I envision a 5 or 6 inch handle with a 2 inch blade. Is there a commercially available blade that roughly fits your requirements?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Same for the Messer and Grosse Messer. "Messer" means (generically) "knife" and "Grosse Messer" means "big knife." That's the problem with attempting to apply literal translations. I'm glad I'm not a linguist.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Actually most Chinese I know translate Da Dao as Big knife and Dao as knife (Jian appears to translate as sword) but then they also translate Whisky, Scotch, Vodka and Wine as Wine too :D

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not that I intend to fight with a knife, its more of an academic question. What kind of knife is best for knife fighting? All opinions appreciated.

The kind attached to the end of a gun.