Which kind of kenpo?

• Tracy Kenpo

• Parker Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Chinese Kempo

• Shorinji Kempo

• Kajukenbo

• SL4

• something else (please elaborate below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tripitaka of AA said:
... Shorinjikempo are registered trade marks around the word for the art founded by Doshin So in Tadotsu, Japan.

This means the name is protected, right? Maybe this should be a separate thread (mods. discretion), I'm curious about what if any protection of the core material of a style is offered by the law. I was accosted via PM a while back because I admitted to learning and practicing a series of forms from a kempo style that apparently wishes to keep their stuff close. The thrust was my teacher was violating a copywrite and could be subject to a suit.

It seems that knowledge gained over the course of one's MA career, from whatever divergent sources, forms the unique style each of us embodies. Do you think we are, or should be, free to perpetuate the material to which we've been exposed?

G

getgoin

I started with TAI Kenpo fom David German system. I studied some EPAK for a short time and then started to study directly under Prof. Roger Callejo. He doesn't use the term kenpo though, he calls it martial arts. He uses no asian names or terms in his system. He was awarded his 9th Degree Black by GM Thomas Young, which I'm sure that most of you know studied under Mitose himself was was the one to sign GM Chow BB certificate.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
At one time, I understand it was called kosho shorei shorinji kempo-jujutsu. Went through multiple changes, to include being called Chinese kenpo and Hawaiian kenpo; I personally stayed the longest with a CK defector who added judo and TKD to his kenpo prior to moving to Japan to study "Chinese Kempo" with a Japanese Grandmaster, then pulled it together under the moniker "Universal Chinese Kenpo-Jujutsu". I just call it kenpo or kempo, whichever is easiest on the tongue.

Studied many a splinter with instructors who probably all needed meds or jail to calm them down a bit; some law enforcers, some law breakers. After training in different variations of CK/AK, I worked closely with guys from a couple of different stables to cull our favorite stuff, and toss it in a blender. Added BJJ, muay thai, arnis, judo, taijutsu, and other fun things. Everyone in the crew had "real time" combat experience in law enforcement, personal or corporate security, military duty, etc., so we viewed our previous learning through the lenses of "would you want this tech in your arsenal when your life was on the line, facing an enraged maniac coming after you for your life?", and, "would this technique work against a non-naive combatant, out to do you serious bodily harm?".

Some things got added, some deleted, and some changed, while other stuff just got more or less emphasized. Added quite a bit relating to dealing with armed, shooting opponents, ball bats, crow bars, etc. Couldn't figger out what to call our little venture (so as to differentiate it from what we did on our own, or before). We were a bunch of guys from different kempo/kenpo backgrounds who got together to train together on a core cirriculum we concurred on after much debate, analysis, and challenge, so we named it (we thought) aptly: Kembudo-Kai Kempo. Roughly translated = the hand to hand combat stuff practiced by a bunch of guys who get together to practice hand to hand combat stuff...A chinese buddy of mine wrote the characters, then a Japanese member of the group saw them, and read them aloud in Japanese. Sounded cooler than the mandarin pronunciation (in other words, easier for us to repeat), so we went with that.

In the end, turns out to look a lot like what the CK oldsters were doing anyway, with the slight addition of BJJ (Mr. Labounty's re-tooling of Thundering Hammers to include some boxing middlin's and judo endings felt very familiar to what we tried so hard to define and refine in Kembudo-Kai...felt like old home, even though I never met the man before the seminar. I guess there is nothing new under the sun).

I've been absolutely blessed and lucky in my journey to have met and trained with many excellent founders & seniors, some wannabe founders & seniors, as well as some well-intentioned frauds, and some creative geniuses who will probably be remembered by history as frauds. Some have passed, and are sorely missed. Some remain, and if my luck holds I will get the chance to study more in-depth with some of the very cool gentlemen I've had the opportunity to meet.

Regards,

Dr. Dave Crouch, DC

Y

young_braveheart

I first started in Chinese Kenpo under Bob McClure (sp?) in Napa CA in the early seventies before I was a teenager.

Today: Go Shin Jitsu Kai Chinese Kempo.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
EPAK for me.

Hey, Kembudo-Kai Kempoka, I see you are from Huntington Beach, CA. Any ties with Steve Spry? Just wondering.

Jamie

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Started EPAK - 1988-1990. Haven't been able to find it until recently. Now studying EPAK/TRA-CO. My instructor teaches the entire technique (with extensions) from the ground level and adds TRA-CO techniques as well.

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tai Kenpo - first trained under Master Ray Snyder - now train under Bob Adams & Laura Brady.

tongsau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
C.H.A. 3 Kempo - Marino Tiwanak
Karazempo - Victor Gascon
Tong sau - closed door McCandles/Okazaki/Hazama Kihei Fujiwara Mitsunobu and the recently deceased Norman Mitsunobu Yahiku
47 Ronin treasures
Okinawa-te (a Kempo branch under McCandles) Doversola
Southern Praying Mantis - Mark Gin Foon

D

daddyslittle1

I used to go rick perez's karate school.Now i go to roanoke valley aikido school.Yes i switched styles:uhyeah: uh,yeah.

Latest Discussions