Which kind of kenpo?

• Tracy Kenpo

• Parker Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Chinese Kempo

• Shorinji Kempo

• Kajukenbo

• SL4

• something else (please elaborate below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tenchi Bujutsu, a fun blend of Ch'uan Fa, Karazenpo Go-Shinjutsu, Kempo-Jutsu Kai, Wado-Ryu and 5 Animal Kung Fu :supcool:

G

Gabrielbkfstudent

BKF Shorindo kenpo under Aristo Avila in NorthHollywood

S

Shurikan

I started out in Tracy's Kenpo among some other styles then we crossed over to Parkers in about 1984 give or take a year. In 1988 i made my last switch to Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo/Kenpo Karate and have been there ever since.

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
XkempoX and Kroh have both mentioned "Shorinji Kempo"... but I wonder if they mean the same "Shorinji Kempo" as me!

Shorinji Kempo and Shorinjikempo are registered trade marks around the word for the art founded by Doshin So in Tadotsu, Japan. It is administered by the World Shorinji Kempo Organisation in Japan and does not share any lineage with the happy famiies of "American" Kempo/kenpo. It is a competely separate art and I would not normally think to include it in a thread on this sub-forum.

I gather that some schools have been using the phrase "Shorinji Kempo" as the Japanese transation of "Shaolin-su Ch'uan-fa" (quite so) and as the school/style name. The copyright issues mentioned above are important to remember.

R

rmcrobertson

Dear Three Baskets:

OK, that was weird. But...SHORINJI KEMPO! SHORINJI KENPO!!

Sincerely,
Pigsy

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. David Noble,

I have read much of your work, it is an honor that you have stopped by and laid some history on us.

Robert, thanks for the insight.

Regards,
Gary A. Brewer

R

ryangrantcollins

Chinese Kenpo Karate as taught by the IKCA

Ryan Collins

X

XkempoX

Tripitaka of AA said:
XkempoX and Kroh have both mentioned "Shorinji Kempo"... but I wonder if they mean the same "Shorinji Kempo" as me!

Shorinji Kempo and Shorinjikempo are registered trade marks around the word for the art founded by Doshin So in Tadotsu, Japan. It is administered by the World Shorinji Kempo Organisation in Japan and does not share any lineage with the happy famiies of "American" Kempo/kenpo. It is a competely separate art and I would not normally think to include it in a thread on this sub-forum.

I gather that some schools have been using the phrase "Shorinji Kempo" as the Japanese transation of "Shaolin-su Ch'uan-fa" (quite so) and as the school/style name. The copyright issues mentioned above are important to remember.
At the time when I was studying it in the late 80's, my ex-sensei had told me that the art I was studying derived from Shorinji Kempo and later called his system "Shorinji Aiki Jujitsu". Sorry if I retained the name Shorinji Kempo in regards to trademark issue, and I will change it accordingly.
smileJap.gif

http://www.miyake-shukokai.com/Jujitsu.htm

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate under the famed Professor William Chow of Hawaii. A short 54 year journey and still having much more to learn and so I do each day. Also hold 3 other ranks in other arts, starting from white with these others and worked my way up. A neverending life of knowledge.
Grandmaster Kuoha

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
XkempoX said:
At the time when I was studying it in the late 80's, my ex-sensei had told me that the art I was studying derived from Shorinji Kempo and later called his system "Shorinji Aiki Jujitsu". http://www.miyake-shukokai.com/Jujitsu.htm

"Kempo Aiki Jujitsu" or "Shorinji Aiki Jujitsu", depending on whether you're looking at the top of the page, or the body of the text, on that page you linked to ;).

I sent him an Email a while back asking about his history, but it must have gone astray, as he never replied. The Branch Master of the Shukokai club in Glasgow took some time out to respond, but he was unable to help me with the "Shorinji Kempo" aspect of Miyake Sensei's background.

Latest Discussions