Which kind of kenpo?

• Tracy Kenpo

• Parker Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Chinese Kempo

• Shorinji Kempo

• Kajukenbo

• SL4

• something else (please elaborate below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
such as?

:asian:

-N-

Rifle, shotguns assaults. Forward and backward slashing blades, semi-auto handguns held "street style" high and sideways, pinned against the wall with the tip of a knife pushed underneath your chin or the edge pushed against your throat putting you on your toes, laying on your back pinned to the floor, etc.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
... pinned against the wall with the tip of a knife pushed underneath your chin or the edge pushed against your throat putting you on your toes, laying on your back pinned to the floor, etc.

I would definately be interested in this.:asian:

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For those who have not been around a coon's age, they may not know the difference. I have students from both systems in my school right now. The techniques are from the 60's version -

MB,
Off hand what are the differences you've noticed between the systems? I know from what you said the some techs are different. Do you have any more early history of TRA-CO and how it came to be?

I didn't recognised these:

Evading the Samurai or Stretching the Bow.

don

K

Kroy

The Tracys site has some info on TRA CO, not good info if you belong to it. Me, I dont know... I just read it?:confused:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Michael Billings
For those who have not been around a coon's age, they may not know the difference. I have students from both systems in my school right now. The techniques are from the 60's version -

Inward Defense not Delayed Sword
Outward Defense not Sword of Destruction

Dance of Death is the same, Five Swords is the same, higher level techniques are closer to 1990 EPAC.

Evading the Samurai instead of Glancing Lance
or
Stretching the Bow not Glancing Spear.

People will not know the difference unless it is explained to them. This is not one of the "history" questions usually asked or answered here, and probably worthy of starting a new thread.

-MB

Quit invading my territory, Austin-ite!:cool:

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well now that you two have fessed up to knowing TRA-CO any chance you guys would talk about it? Good or Bad!

don

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I grew up doing Shorinji Kempo. Now I Belong to the Shinko Ryu which is not a new system, just an offshoot from another organization we no longer belong to. REcently, my instructor has been taking courses in Parker system. Although my instructor does not plan on teaching it... we have been "test subjects" for some of the techniques.

Here is a Question... Did Parker train in any system of Flilipino Arnis? The movements to many of the techniques we are victims... uh .....:rolleyes: ... helping with, are identical in flavor to many of the tactics we learn in Filipino arnis. Just wondering.

Thanks for the minute...
WalT:asian:

T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

shaolin chuan fa = UNITED STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE under PROFESSOR CHARLES MATTERA on the west coast in california.:jedi1:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
The poll is somewhat misleading by listing SL-4 separately (even though I appreciate the effort to make a disitinction). If you talk to any of my students, they will all tell you they study EPAK, and only make a distinction when comparisons are necessary to explain differences in interpretations. Nevertheless, it is EPAK as explained and taught to me by Ed Parker. I understand in this medium it is necessary for the purposes of the poll, but those who actually study rarely ever read or post on any forum.

Thanks for the recognition.
I'm in EPAK but the lessons taught don't resemble EPAK.
Sean

G

Gary Crawford

I learned at a small school in San Jose,Ca called Mora Bros.They were taught by Al Tracy

O

OC Kid

I was orginally ranked in a Japanese system. But shortly after recieveing my rank I moved out of state. I started training in EPAK and Tracys. They had the best fighters around and I was really into fighting at the time. I also attended their group classes and learned the basics and some basic forms and self defense. I now teach a mixure of the 3, Japanese forms stance blocks ect, a sort of free style self defense based on Hawaiian kempo/EPAK and fighting based on both kempo systems and Muay Thai.. So I dont know what you'd call the system????? But I like it. it works.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I dont know what you'd call the system????? But I like it. it works.
and those two things are all that matters......something can work, but you might hate it, or it isnt effective one bit, and you love it. but the both of them together.....grand!

X

XkempoX

Shaolin Kempo from an independent school. Did Shorinji prior.
smileJap.gif

M

Mark Weiser

Five Animal Kenpo under Trevor Haines and Jun Bao Wu Shu under James Ibrao.

guito

White Belt
Reaction score
AMERICAN KENPO , LTKKA IN PUERTO RICO.:supcool: HARD HITTING KENPO

S

senseishane

Kara-Ho Kempo Karate - Billings/Laurel - MT. since 1989. Love the art and love the philosophy.

Just my .02
senseishane