What is your plan for re-opening?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Spanish Flu after the First World War -

The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

Do you guys think we're going to match those numbers?
The interesting thing is, we already have a large percentage of those 675000 deaths in the US. We are more than 1/6th of the way there, after about 5 months. And now it’s getting worse.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The money is in federal reimbursement for state and local agencies and increased budgets for certain departments. Plus notoriety for certain officials.

This goes on during all large emergency responses.

I agree that it is a deadly virus for the elderly and those with underlying conditions.
So clarify for me again, who is getting rich off this?

And how do you think it ought to have been handled?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that it is a deadly virus for the elderly and those with underlying conditions.
So I’m really trying to understand your conclusions. Do you believe that this virus is harmless for the young and those without underlying conditions? There have certainly been deaths in the young and in those without underlying conditions. And there have been some alarming symptoms in children. Do you believe these have happened, or do you believe this is fake news, a hoax?

Do you believe that the young and healthy have no need to take precautions? Even in being cautious of passing it to those who are more at risk, like older parents or elderly/infirm grandparents or neighbors or other family? Or even someone they may pass on the street? Can the young and healthy just go about their lives as they did pre-Covid, with no concerns?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
guard the old people ?
I recommend seiken juji uke!
605bca67b3d51bdb0a8c3937c38ff5d0.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
In other news.. people are panic buying again over here. Yep... aisles are EMPTY of toilet paper again! Did we not learn the first time!

People are fearing a second wave and potential further lockdown as it's been double digits for case increases for a week or more now... they ended up restocking the toilet papers eventually last time, so people who bulk bought them didn't know what to do with all that toilet paper! Buy as per a normal shop people!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I’m really trying to understand your conclusions. Do you believe that this virus is harmless for the young and those without underlying conditions? There have certainly been deaths in the young and in those without underlying conditions. And there have been some alarming symptoms in children. Do you believe these have happened, or do you believe this is fake news, a hoax?

Do you believe that the young and healthy have no need to take precautions? Even in being cautious of passing it to those who are more at risk, like older parents or elderly/infirm grandparents or neighbors or other family? Or even someone they may pass on the street? Can the young and healthy just go about their lives as they did pre-Covid, with no concerns?
@CB Jones did you have anything to say about this? Thanks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news.. people are panic buying again over here. Yep... aisles are EMPTY of toilet paper again! Did we not learn the first time!

People are fearing a second wave and potential further lockdown as it's been double digits for case increases for a week or more now... they ended up restocking the toilet papers eventually last time, so people who bulk bought them didn't know what to do with all that toilet paper! Buy as per a normal shop people!
Man, there are still things that are hard to get around here. Every time I go to the store (I have been doing all our shopping during the pandemic, to reduce the Hobbit's exposure), I see someone buying a large enough amount of something that they almost have to be hoarding it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, there are still things that are hard to get around here. Every time I go to the store (I have been doing all our shopping during the pandemic, to reduce the Hobbit's exposure), I see someone buying a large enough amount of something that they almost have to be hoarding it.

Wow unreal huh...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I went to Costco yesterday. They hadn't had any bacterial wipes for a while. I've been buying them for many years, but they're hard to find out here now.

I wish I had gone five minutes earlier. They had brought out a full pallet of the suckers, left it right in the middle of the isle where they usually go. As I round the corner I observe the immediate aftermath. Customers shredded that pallet, cardboard and plastic wrap all over the place. One lone package left, two guys practically dove for it.

It was an odd sight.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

@CB Jones I’m still hoping you might weigh in on this.

In addition, I am curious to know if you watched today’s briefing by the White House Coronavirus Task Force. Vice President Pence opened the briefing by making a heroic effort to polish up a turd. I don’t think many in the press were convinced.

But what I would really like to get your input on is Anthony Fauci’s comments on the young people getting infected and their role in spreading the virus to others who may be more compromised, and the need for young people to use caution in their behavior to avoid this. If you haven’t seen it, You can find the complete briefing here, Dr. Fauci begins at around 50 minutes.

Would love to hear what you have to say on it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Golly... below are the figures of increases in new cases just in our state over the last month or so, just hit 124 today, they've now shut the borders between our state and the next :s. They've found many "hotspots" they call them, so they've only locked down those suburbs but can sense we may be in for more lockdowns here...
f8f1293ad09e6019741bc0b9397ce179.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Golly... below are the figures of increases in new cases just in our state over the last month or so, just hit 124 today, they've now shut the borders between our state and the next :s. They've found many "hotspots" they call them, so they've only locked down those suburbs but can sense we may be in for more lockdowns here...
f8f1293ad09e6019741bc0b9397ce179.jpg
I’m glad for you that your government has the foresight to lock down when the spike first begins to become evident, instead of living in denial and waiting for it to get really really bad first. By then, it’s too late to rein it in.

California had almost 12,000 new cases yesterday, but as far as I can tell, we are still moving forward with reopening. That is happening all over the country. There is always a lag between identification of new cases and hospitalizations, and another lag before the deaths begin to spike. It simply takes some time for the disease to progress to that level in the individual. In a few more weeks I expect we will be stacking bodies like cord wood again.

We are a nation of imbeciles.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@CB Jones I’m still hoping you might weigh in on this.

In addition, I am curious to know if you watched today’s briefing by the White House Coronavirus Task Force. Vice President Pence opened the briefing by making a heroic effort to polish up a turd. I don’t think many in the press were convinced.

But what I would really like to get your input on is Anthony Fauci’s comments on the young people getting infected and their role in spreading the virus to others who may be more compromised, and the need for young people to use caution in their behavior to avoid this. If you haven’t seen it, You can find the complete briefing here, Dr. Fauci begins at around 50 minutes.

Would love to hear what you have to say on it.
yes definelty young people need to keep away from old people, which shouldn't be to hard for them to manage

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m glad for you that your government has the foresight to lock down when the spike first begins to become evident, instead of living in denial and waiting for it to get really really bad first. By then, it’s too late to rein it in.

California had almost 12,000 new cases yesterday, but as far as I can tell, we are still moving forward with reopening. That is happening all over the country. There is always a lag between identification of new cases and hospitalizations, and another lag before the deaths begin to spike. It simply takes some time for the disease to progress to that level in the individual. In a few more weeks I expect we will be stacking bodies like cord wood again.

We are a nation of imbeciles.

Wow that's crazy... :s

And today after a delay on numbers it's been announced 191 new cases in our state yesterday.. there's a press conference later this afternoon, but possibly a 4 week statewide lockdown..

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy... :s

And today after a delay on numbers it's been announced 191 new cases in our state yesterday.. there's a press conference later this afternoon, but possibly a 4 week statewide lockdown..
Sounds like you have a government that actually cares for its citizens. I am envious. Got room for an American who might need a fresh start?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a government that actually cares for its citizens. I am envious. Got room for an American who might need a fresh start?

Haha... for sure come on over! When safe!

Yeah honestly I think they've done a tremendous job considering... I honestly really feel for the state premier who has said time and time again that he's not here to make comfortable, easy or popular decisions, and that he takes no pleasure in doing so.

Even though there are many throwing stones at them and not happy with some decisions and there have been some blunders along the way, he's got a ridiculous amount on his plate but has done his best to keep us all safe.

Latest Discussions