What is your motivation for doing Kendo?

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I studied Kendo I went there only to beat people with sticks in a high-adrenaline battle to the "death". When I discovered that everyone there wanted to be Rurouni Kenshin I quit, read books about various blade/stick-related arts, and got together a group to practise doing what I intended to do in Kendo. If your dojo is better than the one I ended up in you're lucky. Enjoy! ;)

OP
achilles95

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I personally was disheartened when I discovered Kendo has been trimmed into a sport. I'm interested in battle, not in the preferences of a referee.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I personally was disheartened when I discovered Kendo has been trimmed into a sport. I'm interested in battle, not in the preferences of a referee.

I'm curious about this. With an art like Kendo, how can it be practiced any other way in today's society?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did it because wacking people over the head with a bamboo sword is a great way to spend a day :)

I enjoyed the sport aspect, wouldn't have wanted to do it if it wasn't sparring based. But did feel a little frustration at not being able to attack the legs.

OP
achilles95

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious about this. With an art like Kendo, how can it be practiced any other way in today's society?

That's a good question. My answer is this - During my first lesson, I asked my Instructor, "So how to I parry a blow to the legs?" And he said, "It's against the rules to attack the legs." See what I mean? Still, I do enjoy kendo and will continue to practice.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a good question. My answer is this - During my first lesson, I asked my Instructor, "So how to I parry a blow to the legs?" And he said, "It's against the rules to attack the legs." See what I mean? Still, I do enjoy kendo and will continue to practice.

Ahhhhh. Gotcha. It may be *sport*, but it doesn't need to be watered down. Teach the art, then when competition comes, follow the rules. I wish you the best in finding an instructor who can/will teach you the complete art. :asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did it because wacking people over the head with a bamboo sword is a great way to spend a day :)

I enjoyed the sport aspect, wouldn't have wanted to do it if it wasn't sparring based. But did feel a little frustration at not being able to attack the legs.

Hey Andrew that was my gripe so when we train in Kendo/Gumdo gear we wear hockey shin instep protectors and the leg's are fair game then.
icon10.gif

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Andrew that was my gripe so when we train in Kendo/Gumdo gear we wear hockey shin instep protectors and the leg's are fair game then.
icon10.gif

When we train with weapons anything is fair game, including taking them down and wailing on them and using the stick to apply a choke :D

Oddly enough that was frowned upon in Kendo too for some reason... :confused:

Must have been because it was supposed to be sharp, and big bladed weapons don't transfer to grappling well :D

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Must have been because it was supposed to be sharp, and big bladed weapons don't transfer to grappling well :D

Actually, they do! Mostly trips, throws and locks, but nonetheless, they work well. The German master Hanko Dobringer said in 1389 "all fencing comes from wrestling". :)

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
achilles95

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually, they do! Mostly trips, throws and locks, but nonetheless, they work well. The German master Hanko Dobringer said in 1389 "all fencing comes from wrestling". :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Interesting.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Indeed.

I'm still quite pissed off about my Kendo AND fencing experiences. The practitioners are so bloody afraid of getting hit and practising an actual martial art, not swinging around sticks and looking like a Samurai. Just because you are wearing protective armour and using sticks doesn't mean that everything need be watered down. They didn't even practise any conditioning whatsoever. I didn't even break a sweat during the classes. Samurai were like Arnold Schwarzenegger! They trained in all different aspects of fighting. If I gave them a shotgun they would learn how to use that as well. If I were a Samurai I would roll over in my grave and fart in their general direction!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I personally was disheartened when I discovered Kendo has been trimmed into a sport. I'm interested in battle, not in the preferences of a referee.
Interesting. Kendo has always been a sport. It was originally developed as a way of conducting contests between dojo without all of that pesky maiming and killing that was taking place. Too many people complain that kendo is not a "combat art" when it never was. It is merely another tool in the box for proper training. This goes right along with all of the folks that complain that kata are unrealistic, when they are simply tools to teach with. It is totally unrealistic to believe that kendo can teach everything needed to properly learn the Japanese sword. It's very much like setting out to overhaul the engine in your car with just a single wrench.
Besides which, battles were fought with distance weapons, not swords. If you're interested in battle, then you should practice riflery. If you're interested in historical battle, then you should be practicing archery and slinging.
When I studied Kendo I went there only to beat people with sticks in a high-adrenaline battle to the "death".
Then it's no wonder you left as that is not what kendo is about. Kendo, as all of the Japanese sword arts, are about teaching proper distance, timing, and technique. "Battles" are for UFC and MMA ring fighters. :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed.

I'm still quite pissed off about my Kendo AND fencing experiences. The practitioners are so bloody afraid of getting hit and practising an actual martial art, not swinging around sticks and looking like a Samurai. Just because you are wearing protective armour and using sticks doesn't mean that everything need be watered down. They didn't even practise any conditioning whatsoever. I didn't even break a sweat during the classes. Samurai were like Arnold Schwarzenegger! They trained in all different aspects of fighting. If I gave them a shotgun they would learn how to use that as well. If I were a Samurai I would roll over in my grave and fart in their general direction!

You where in a very different club then I was, We spent most of the class hitting each other :D

ScottUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why does it need to be?

Is it really possible to have a martial art that isn't forced to fit the 'street effective' mould? Come on guys, kendo is kendo - it is a modern practice of Japanese fencing. If doing epee/foil/sabre fencing (olympic rules?), would you jump up and down saying 'this isn't fair - the mask stops me from biting his jugular vein'...?

:rolleyes:

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
'this isn't fair - the mask stops me from biting his jugular vein'...?
Then you just need to have more effective biting techniques! :)

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Kendo has always been a sport. It was originally developed as a way of conducting contests between dojo without all of that pesky maiming and killing that was taking place. Too many people complain that kendo is not a "combat art" when it never was. It is merely another tool in the box for proper training. This goes right along with all of the folks that complain that kata are unrealistic, when they are simply tools to teach with. It is totally unrealistic to believe that kendo can teach everything needed to properly learn the Japanese sword. It's very much like setting out to overhaul the engine in your car with just a single wrench.
Besides which, battles were fought with distance weapons, not swords. If you're interested in battle, then you should practice riflery. If you're interested in historical battle, then you should be practicing archery and slinging.

Then it's no wonder you left as that is not what kendo is about. Kendo, as all of the Japanese sword arts, are about teaching proper distance, timing, and technique. "Battles" are for UFC and MMA ring fighters. :)

Fair enough, I guess that is what Kenjutsu is (WAS?). But don't expect me to be happy about it. The modern equivalent of the knight/Samurai would have to be either some high-ranking soldiers or the police, as they are the only one's allowed to carry and use swords (guns) - but in limited situations.

Taking the police, as an example:

They have none of the virtues of knights/Samurai, none of the martial ability. ****, they strive only to consume the most possible donuts/biscuits/danish' as possible in the shortest amount of time. If anything, they are blue targets (Especially in Holland and England). In China they are somewhat more badarse, but impossibly corrupt. Especially the high-ranking police are like pigs (Literally). And why should they be honourable? They have a low salary and a high-risk job. At least the knights/samurai were regarded as nobles. The police nowadays haven't got any good examples. Is M&M (Hip-hop "singer"/spelling?) a selfless, respectable, badarse individual whom we should try to imitate?

Part of the problem is also the modern values of society. The people don't trust the police and no one really wants to work for anything, but complain when things are out of order. In the olde days knights and samurai were respected like gods. Now they are treated like the scum that they have become.

A good example for the modern police: Clint Eastwood in The Man With No Name Trilogy

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You were in a very different club then I was, We spent most of the class hitting each other :D

Oi... This was like one of the five or so dojo in China (Including Hongkong and Macao). The "head teacher" was about 20, a 2nd dan. My teacher was a 21-22 1st dan and a big pansy. Infact, all of them were pansies - as I mentioned before. Most of them were girl-like, including the girls (As in the "boys" were more girl-like then them). All of this: "It's not about fighting, but about calming your inner spirit......" non-sense is only contributing to the problem. Maybe the biggest problem is the transition from Kenjutsu to Kendo (And Ancient [Insert country name here] to modern [Insert country name here]).

How I long for a return to the days when wandering bands of mounted rogues pillaged the countryside, threatening my daily travels to work, and my [over]reaction to their blasphemous devilry... Alas, forms competition and point sparring is all that I am offered today. I just hope some of these modern thieves grow some balls and try to hack me as I am buying tomatoes at the market! Then they will see that I was prepared for just such an occasion all along!!! ;)

But someone will inevitably reply to my "seriously-erroneous" suggestion here because my opinion on this matter is unorthodox. You'll have to excuse me for that. It's just that THIS WORLD IS BORING ME OUT OF MY BLOODY MIND (I swear I am mostly sane).

Now I've hung up bags made of blue jeans legs with hard little beans inside, each weighing 1kg, in different ways and positions on the roof of my apartment building to practise striking/stabbing on with a telescopic steel baton. It makes a surprisingly good opponent when one of my mates isn't around. =D

And to whoever commented on me being silly: Who says silly anyways? Ridiculous/Strange/Weird/Unrivaled in Oddity are some masculine ways to express it.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Part of the problem is also the modern values of society. The people don't trust the police and no one really wants to work for anything, but complain when things are out of order. In the olde days knights and samurai were respected like gods. Now they are treated like the scum that they have become.
It seems to me that you've got some pretty odd ideas about modern law enforcement as well as both the knights and samurai of medieval times. I know quite a few law enforcement officers in a number of different cities in the U.S. Most of them are in the job because they feel that it is the right thing to do. I do know a couple aren't very nice people, but that is true of any group in society. There will always be bad apples in any barrell.

As for your erroneous assumptions regarding knights and samurai, I think you've been watching way too many movies and not reading enough actual history. Neither the samurai nor European knights were "respected like gods". Rather they were pretty much feared as ruthless overlords with the power of life and death over the peasant ranks. They were respected as adversaries by rival knights and samurai, but they were hardly the chivalrous or honorable saints that the movies make them out to be. In both medieval Japan and Europe, assassinations, treachery, broken aggreements, and ambush tactics were extremely common, and considered to be business as usual. Various groups switched sides whenever it was to their benefit. Other than becoming a bit more complicated, society really hasn't changed much between then and now.