What is your hapkido lineage?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
All hapkido practitioners should be able to trace their lineage back to Choi, Young Sool. I am just curious as to the lineage of the rest. I know for Combat hapkido Pelligrini trained under Kwang Sik Myung. Myung studied under Choi.

With MSK Hapkido, well Lee H. Park Learned Hapkido from Wha, Kwang Wha was a student of Choi's as well.

So I am interested in what everyone else's lineage to Choi is.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kwang Sik Myung received his rank from GM Ji Han Jae. He did some seminar training with DJN Choi.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kwang Sik Myung received his rank from GM Ji Han Jae. He did some seminar training with DJN Choi.
Uh, sorry but no......you said it backwards. He would go to Ji Han Jae's seminars and train under Choi.

Slight confusion, no biggie.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh, sorry but no......you said it backwards. He would go to Ji Han Jae's seminars and train under Choi.

Matt,

Please, do some research. Myung lived in Seoul - Choi Dojunim lived and trained in Deagu. Myung only met Choi Dojunim when he came to Seoul to train Ji.

Please, please, for the sake of those out there trying to get a handle on Hapkido as a whole, have a better grasp of the research. If you are going to speak with authority, have the facts straight.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well going with your reasoning Kev, Myung still learned directly from Choi. Even in He Young Kimms Hapkido Bible, with his own research. He is a historian by trade. So you are arguing about agreeing with me. And by the way it is Tague, not Dague.

Lee H. Park who learned from Won, Kwan Wha was a one time friend of Kimm's and live with Won, Kwang Wha. Won learned directly from Choi himself.

So thank you for you unknowing acknowledgement of my correctness I do appreciate it.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
In all certainty I know for a fact that Ji Han Jae, Won Kwang Wha and Kwang Sik Myung along with Suh Bok Sub were his 1st students, the others I am not sure of. So this bickering doesn't have to go on Kevin. Lee H. Park handed this info to GM Charles Hildebrand, Master Jeff Forby, and Master David LeGrande. The following men I have known all my life and they were Lee's 1st hapkido black belts.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In all certainty I know for a fact that Ji Han Jae, Won Kwang Wha and Kwang Sik Myung along with Suh Bok Sub were his 1st students, the others I am not sure of. So this bickering doesn't have to go on Kevin. Lee H. Park handed this info to GM Charles Hildebrand, Master Jeff Forby, and Master David LeGrande. The following men I have known all my life and they were Lee's 1st hapkido black belts.

Matt as you know trying to find linage within a Korean Art is like trying to pull teeth, every second is painful.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Matt as you know trying to find linage within a Korean Art is like trying to pull teeth, every second is painful.

A man with great reasoning is speaking. It is true. I talked with Dad today and he told me that more times than not Koreans initially be a 1-3rd dan, land in the U.S. and be grandmasters. So for the one's that told the truth it makes it harder for them to be heard because they were the minority not the majority. Hence now were are paying for it with so many McDojo's.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A man with great reasoning is speaking. It is true. I talked with Dad today and he told me that more times than not Koreans initially be a 1-3rd dan, land in the U.S. and be grandmasters. So for the one's that told the truth it makes it harder for them to be heard because they were the minority not the majority. Hence now were are paying for it with so many McDojo's.

Matt your Father is so right, it makes it hard to believe, even when we know what the truth is.:asian:

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We're World Hapkido Federation and we trace our lineage back to Dojunim Choi through GGM Kwang-Sik Myung. Whether GGM Myung studied directly with Dojunim Choi or whether he studied via GGM Ji, Han Jae - I'm not certain - I've read both.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... Koreans initially be a 1-3rd dan, land in the U.S. and be grandmasters ...

Ahhhh yes: the magical plane rides.

We should track down these wonderful machines. Would certainly make things easier than actually spending 50 years on the mat ...

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score

No, actually I didn't.

Myung Kwang-Sik was born in North Korea but lived in Seoul for most of his early life.
Myung started his martial arts training 1948, at the age of eight with exposure to Kumdo through his father, and in kong soo do through the tradition of the Yon Mu Kwan attaining his Chodan at the age of 12. Myung began his study of hapkido with Ji Han Jae in Seoul at the Ma Jang Dong location in 1957. Joining Myung at that time were also early hapkido practitioners Hwang Duk-Kyu (latter day president of the Korea Hapkido Association), Lee Tae-Joon, Kang Jong-Soo, Kim Yong-Jin (founder of the Ulji kwan) and Kim Yong-Whan. Myung Kwang-Sik later received lessons from hapkido founder Choi Yong-Sul.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myung_Kwang-Sik

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
We're World Hapkido Federation and we trace our lineage back to Dojunim Choi through GGM Kwang-Sik Myung. Whether GGM Myung studied directly with Dojunim Choi or whether he studied via GGM Ji, Han Jae - I'm not certain - I've read both.

This did Myug train under Choi or Ji, is a great debate fore sure. However, I have known Wikipedia to have things not quite correctly. I believe I will stick with Myung training alongside Won, Ji, and a few other in Seoul at the same time.

It is what GGM Lee H. Park passed down to GM Hildebrand. So, also read the Hapkido Bible by He Young Kimm. It may help to see things a bit different. Even Marc Tadeschi's book on Hapkido, the big hard back may help as well.

Best of Luck.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This did Myug train under Choi or Ji, is a great debate fore sure.

I agree with you. Personally, I don't get caught up in all of that - I'll leave it for others to debate.

When it comes to Lineages or who trained with whom, the point that is always brought up in our Dojang (and the Oral History that has been passed to me) is that Choi, Yong Sul had all of his documents, certificates, etc. stolen from a Railway Station when he was returning to Korea at the end of World War 2. Choi had no papers to prove any Lineage. However, people could readily see that he was an exceptional Martial Artist and he could "prove it on the mat" and they wanted him to be their teacher.

I keep this in the back of my head, as it helps give me perspective on Lineages. I'm much more interested in improving my skills so that I can prove it on the mat.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This did Myug train under Choi or Ji, is a great debate fore sure. However, I have known Wikipedia to have things not quite correctly. I believe I will stick with Myung training alongside Won, Ji, and a few other in Seoul at the same time.

It is what GGM Lee H. Park passed down to GM Hildebrand. So, also read the Hapkido Bible by He Young Kimm. It may help to see things a bit different. Even Marc Tadeschi's book on Hapkido, the big hard back may help as well.

Best of Luck.

If you look at the source for the wikipedia section I quoted, it is the Hapkido Bible -

1.Hapkido (alternately The Hapkido Bible). Andrew Jackson Press, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 1991

I'm not saying he didn't do some seminar training with Choi - but his rank comes from Ji - up to his 9th dan. 1986 certificate # 85-001

hapkidonet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Choi Young Sul > Ji Han Jae > Merril Jung > Marc Tedeschi > Erik Medeiros > me, a humble student.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's see, I did study for while with... Master, Mike Morton. A true Jedi Master.

Latest Discussions