• school owner

• always a student

• world champion

• all of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
A

Andy Cap

Goals are funny things - Once you reach them they dissapear and leave you with no direction. Of the goals listed above - I have accomplished all of them, yet I feel like there is so much more. I spent my first 20 years in teh martial arts running from goal to goal. I have since come to relaize it is far better to strive without goals. My goal is simply to strive evey day. Every day I try to work as hard as i can towards being better. A simple "goal" but impossible to achieve.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shinzu said:
what is your TSD goal?

let's hear from students and instructors. after all the learning never ends!
When I first started not too long ago I would have said black belt was my goal. Now I am 8th gup, and what I learned from my Sa Bom Nim was to set smaller goals and keep at them. So right now, my goal is 7th gup. I'm far too preoccupied with Hyung Sam Bu right now to worry about black belt. =)

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Goals:

Primary
1. Constant/continued self development
2. Enjoyment

Secondary
3. To gain, hopefully, my Dan grade(s) in TSD. This is not for the sake of gaining rank (after all I've gain 1st and 2nd Dan ranks, as well as various kyu grades in various styles of karate) but for more of personal achievement, to prove to myself that I got what it takes.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My goal is to be a terrific instructor to then be a terrific master and then have my own dojang.

Manny

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just want to learn as much as I possibly can and maybe eventually pass that knowledge on to my sons as they get older. Regardless I'll always train.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We must always be students. In my school black belts were expected to help teach and I still enjoy assisting other students. It's a mutual learning experience. I'll leave the schools to the advanced Dans with extensive background. I have too much to learn to be an adequate school owner.
Dennis

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a returning student, I understand the many difficulties in getting back to training. I would encourage you to find a way to train. If there is no Tang Soo Do school in your area, consider joining a different school with the qualities that you find most important. There are many paths in Martial Arts. If there is no school, you have enough background that you can still train on your own. Start with the conditioning and stretching excercises you know, follow with kicks, blocks, forms etc. Take your time and allow your body to progress gradually. You will find it rewarding when old techniques begin to be reaquired. Good luck. Dennis
To get back to TSD .... maybe someday :idunno:

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been everything but a "real" world champion...

I will always remain a student and proud of it!

Giant Marshmallow

White Belt
Reaction score
Always a student. Since I didn't start until nearly 48 yrs old, this should be easy :p

If I am ever good enough, I'd like to teach.

I love competing, but my goal is to always improve, not necessary to win (but winning is cool!), so not world champ, but if they have a "senior" division... ;)

Latest Discussions